• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excel Saga crisis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveyuuu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Halp! Excel Saga: two questions!

#1:Is excel saga any good?
#2:Where online is a good place to buy a copy? (I heard amazon.ca/com is a good start ^^)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's good. Very off the wall, perhaps even crude at some points. I enjoyed it the first (and only time) I saw it. It parodies a lot of other anime and its only purpose is to make people laugh, which it does fairly well.

Here is a good price for the entire series.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't exactly see a crisis here...

#1: It's good if you like zany, out of control, check your brain at the door comedy.

#2: Best place is likely www.deepdiscountdvd.com, you can get the box set there for only $53.99.

Emerje

(Heh, just a minute too late.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The crisis is having to buy the series before watching it first.
Evil or Very Mad Stupid Netflix...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
#2: Best place is likely www.deepdiscountdvd.com, you can get the box set

Being Canadian, this wouldn't be a very good option for her. DVDs aren't covered by Nafta and get charged duty...

Amazon.ca is a relatively safe bet.

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Right, duty, I rarely take that into consideration. I suppose once you factor in the exchange rate and international shipping it probably would be a better bet to go with Amazon.ca. However, depending on duty it may still be cheaper to go with DDD:

Amazon.ca- $103.99 CAD + free shipping = 103.99 CAD
DDD- $64.16 CAD + $14.2 CAD = $78.36 CAD

I really know nothing of duty, but if it's less than $25 CAD then DDD may actually still be the better choice.

After looking around, though, I found this to be the best Canadian price: DVDBoxoffice.com. Can't vouch for the site, but it was in the list of stores Isaac had in the retail forum.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
starfireliz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
i love excel saga!! so funny O.o but the end ep you know the one where they like... push the lines on everything didn't know if to laugh or just stare with my eyes open for most of it lol

i got the entire series at bestbuy for like... 40 dollars
Naiera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:53 am Reply with quote
I hate Excel Saga! Definitely the worst anime I've ever seen, and I was lucky to unload my boxset on eBay recently.

Get the first volume before you get the rest! If you like it, don't know why you would though, you'll like the rest, but if you don't, you'll hate the rest, because it's going to be the same crap all the time, never really going anywhere or making any sense.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
I hate Excel Saga! Definitely the worst anime I've ever seen, and I was lucky to unload my boxset on eBay recently.

Wow, you are harsh. The worst? Jeez... by what standards are you judging it?? Granted the style is not for everyone, but that's no reason to say is THE worst.
Naiera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's the worst I've seen.

Me.

I stick to the better stuff, and I expected this to be good as well. It wasn't.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga is very good. There are tons of parodies and ADVs handy little side notes help point them out. I could be wrong on this, but I think Excel Saga was the first "out there over the top wacky comedy" anime. Probably part of the reason why part of the title is "Quack Experiment". Its really out there. My friend showed me the first DVD and I couldn't stop laughing. My whole thing with it is that it started a trend. After Excel Saga we got FLCL which is definitley great for only 6 eps. but I think that its over-rated. People treat it like a Godsend and in my opinion it seemed like it tried too hard to go beyond Excel in terms of out there zaniness and lack of initial sense. Then after that there was other stuff like Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. So yeah Excel Saga started this little anime trend (that's what it seems, I could be wrong if an anime history buff would like to prove me wrong feel free). Besides if you can get it for 55 bucks that's a great deal. The DVDs come with a lot of extras. Also Excel has one of the coolest characters to ever grace anime, Nabeshin.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Certainly not the first, but definatly one the most abstract. Something like Dragon-Half (1993) or Elf Princess Rane (1995) would be earlier examples, and I'm sure there's something earlier and just as wacky that fits similar molds.

Emerje
hakootoko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem once things get put into a brick; you can't sample them.

You may find you dislike Excel Saga after an episode or two, and then you'll have wasted your money Anime cry

Don't get me wrong, I love the show (except the last episode, which is as nasty as Puni Puni Poemi), but I recognize that not everyone will like it.

hakootoko
Naiera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:13 am Reply with quote
The only episode I liked was the 26th...
Lyra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:08 am Reply with quote
Excel Saga Rocks!!! I love it sooooo much!

You could get in on ADVfilms.co.uk or Forbbidenplanet.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2