• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Translation question on Negima! Vol. 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
I picked up the 3rd volume on Negima! the other day. It was really enjoyable, and I am enjoying the direction the series is going.

However, I was on another board the other day, and there was a thread rasing cain over an alleged mistranslation.

They claim that Negi's father is called "The Thousand Master" when Evangline calls him "the Southern Master".

Has anyone heard anything about this at all? I'm a big fan of offical translations by paid professionals, but we're all human.
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well.... on p132 of the Japanese manga, Negi says "This person is the Thousand Master? (サウザンドマスター) It's my father from 15 years ago... and he looks cool!"

Evangeline then calls him the Thousand Master as well, on p133, using the kanji "千の呪文の男" or the "Man of a Thousand Spells."

Where the 'Southern Master' comes in, I couldn't tell you.... looks like they have a legitimate gripe, there....
aoie_emesai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Translation errors hummm... i want to see that but my copy hasn't arrived from overstock yet Sad
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Here are the mistakes I noticed:

Throughout the book:
spoiler[
Thousand Master became Southern Master
Negi calls his staff a wand
They use the term "wizard" instead of "mage"
The spells are in English
]

Chapter 16:
spoiler[
Ayaka was weighed in pounds
"Books and blood have a lot in common, librarian. They're both 'Red.'"
]

Chapter 17:

Chpater 18:
spoiler[
According to Chachamaru, Evangeline is ditching class "in protest".
They actually added more sexual jokes...
]

Chapter 19:
spoiler[
Nodoka has a little problem with subject-verb agreement. "I wish Library Island were closer"
]

Chapter 20:

Chapter 21:
spoiler[
The headmaster knows about Evangeline and Sakura Lane. In the original, he was just fishing for information.
"Evangeline's a wanted criminal in her own dark dimension"
]

Chapter 22:
spoiler[
In the flashback, Evangeline calls Chachazero Chachamaru.
Negi claims that she isn't undead
They removed the part about her being a Shinso vampire. Now she's a "psuedo-vampire" and "emulates being a vampire"
Evangeline is now wearing no panties instead of "underwear like this... !"
]

Chapters 23-25:
spoiler[
Evangeline orders the half-vampires to strip Negi, instead of them choosing to.
Evangeline doesn't comment on how Asuna broke her barrier.
Negi felt a little tounge from Asuna's kiss.
The contract command is "Contract valid in 90 seconds!! Negi magi, Asuna Kagurazaka". It should be "for 90 seconds" and it's odd how they use only one word of Latin.

]
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Notes about above "mistakes"

Ch. 16.

The pounds was probably changed since we still use the Imperial System here in the US. Localization change

"Books and Blood, both Red" is a pun.

Ch. 18

Well, spoiler[Wasn't she ditching class "in protest"? I mean, she eaid that she was at school, just not in Negi's class. That sounds right to me.]

Ch.22 Do you expect Americans to know spoiler[what a Shinso vampire is?] The change clarifies the concept for readers.

I'll have to look into the others. My roommates are minoring in Japanese, so I'll get them to take a look at it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, now after reviewing Vol. 1, the "________ Master" is mentioned only once, but it appears that Negi doesn't know that spoiler[the man is his father].

Maybe, spoiler[Evangline is remembering things differently, or Negi's father has more than one nickname. I say this because right after Evageline identifies him as the "Southern Master", on the next page refers to him as "the man of a thousand spells". ] Now, I would think that this would give a translator some context clues to the rest of the passages. This leaves me to believe that choice of Southern Master was deliberate and not a simple translation error.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Well, now after reviewing Vol. 1, the "________ Master" is mentioned only once, but it appears that Negi doesn't know that spoiler[the man is his father].

He knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1