• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Remakes of Japanese live action.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I went to the theatre the other day and saw a preview for a new Richard Gere remake of Shall We Dance?, another Japanese movie that was remade by Hollywood in recent years was The Ring. I was wondering why people are adverse to watching foreign movies but are perfectly willing to see remakes of them done in English. In the case of Shall We Dance?, the story makes much more sense in Japan. The protaganist is a bored salaryman who uses ballroom dancing as an escape from his dreary life, which is more significant against the backdrop of work-happy Japanese society.

It is just frustrating that most people will not give Asian movies a chance unless they involve martial arts, ignoring all the other types of movies out there.
Maclam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
And there is Ju On conming out soon with sarah michlle gelar that is a remake also... it looks pretty good from the trailer.

I saw the original version in japanese, but didn't really like it
But i like the ring much better in the original version

Not everyone like to watch the original movie in asian because of the sub i believe Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I had already heard about the Richard Gere remake of Shall We Dansu? The Japanese original version is one of my all-time favourite films, and I am naturally seriously put out by the entire idea that it is necessary to remake it.

Not that the parochial Americans haven't done this sort of thing before. La Cage aux Folles, La Femme Nikita, Ringu and Abre Los Ojos spring to mind. It's the anime sub/dub issue all over - your average American viewer doesn't speak any languages besides English (and I'm being generous, at that Wink ). And subtitles are out - after all, that would mean having to read (O shock, O horror!).

So what they get is Richard effin' Gere.
Well, serves 'em right.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Maclam wrote:
Not everyone like to watch the original movie in asian because of the sub i believe Smile

Yeah, I know the subs turn off alot of people, but just look at the recent success of Hero.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
BTW, The English subbed version of Shall We Dance? was Miramaxed. (See IMDB for details on edits.)
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
I think the worse remake I heard about was Ikiru. It's gonna have Tom Hanks in it. But at least Criterion gave the original a pretty good release(as far as I know).

This is a little OT, but did anyone hear that Jackie Chan isn't going to get a US company to distribute New Police Story? I think it's because all of his other movies where edited.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
I think the worse remake I heard about was Ikiru. It's gonna have Tom Hanks in it.

Kill me now.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
this subject was brought up in the film class i took last semester.

basically, we as americans, can relate to the characters better if they look like us. (this isn't true for me, and i'm sure not everyone) but, it's sad. we had to watch ringu, and people actually left the class because they had to read subtitles.

it's sad, but the companies will probably make more money making a whole different version...well, i don't know if that's true, but i'm sure more people will go when they see richard gere and susan sarandon instead of...*insert japanese actors*
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
basically, we as americans, can relate to the characters better if they look like us. (this isn't true for me, and i'm sure not everyone) but, it's sad.

That may be partially true, but I think language plays a bigger factor than mere appearance. It also has to be remembered that movies from other countries have styalistic differences from American movies. Many people accuse Japanese films of being "boring" because they have a tendency to be slower, taking time to observe silence and letting the viewer contemplate the events they have just witnessed. Whether or not you like that style of storytelling is up to you, but I'm afraid most Americans do not.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Many people accuse Japanese films of being "boring" because they have a tendency to be slower, taking time to observe silence and letting the viewer contemplate the events they have just witnessed. Whether or not you like that style of storytelling is up to you, but I'm afraid most Americans do not.

Yah, any movie without a car chase sequence or gunplay has already lost most of the U.S. audience - even before it hits the theaters. *grump*

- abunai
kainzero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
way to generalize americans, since apparently it's not good to generalize widows but it's ok to generalize the americans and the film industry.

from what i can gather, most fans who have seen both ringu and ring are split... some like the ring better, some like ringu. some of them explained other elements of the story better. personally, i thought the ring did a VERY good job of creating a much more tense atmosphere.

Quote:
It also has to be remembered that movies from other countries have styalistic differences from American movies.

not just that, but the US looks, feels, and lives a lot differently than japan. and not only will the characters relate to the audience better, but the setting will as well. i don't care who you are, that's huge. the concept of a japanese salaryman is a lot more different than the concept of the american cubicle worker, for example.

i'm not an expert on american entertainment (i don't know why people watch frasier...) but it's fairly obvious that its difficult for american audiences to relate to non-american characters and settings.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
i'm not an expert on american entertainment (i don't know why people watch frasier...)

Its more an intellectual comedy, AFAIK. It was made to appeal to the more cerebreal viewer.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Most people are idiots. Anything that is foreign is thought to be bad, so a number of lazy film makers will try to fool people into thinking their remakes were originally American. I find the whole process slightly anoying, but I don't really care that much anyways.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
way to generalize americans, since apparently it's not good to generalize widows but it's ok to generalize the americans and the film industry.

There's a difference in both kind and degree. I'm calling Americans parochial, not perverted - as was the case in the discussion you are alluding to.

kainzero wrote:
i'm not an expert on american entertainment (i don't know why people watch frasier...) but it's fairly obvious that its difficult for american audiences to relate to non-american characters and settings.

Keep going - you're doing an excellent job of arguing my point for me. Wink

Note that, while it cannot be truthfully said that European audiences have no such difficulty, they definitely have a more open and accepting attitude towards non-local cultures. Maybe it's the fact that, living in fractured old Europe, we are more accustomed to the idea that our neighbours aren't like ourselves. Whereas an American can happily live an entire life without leaving the fold, and having to meet someone who doesn't resemble himself.

- abunai
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Most people are idiots. Anything that is foreign is thought to be bad, so a number of lazy film makers will try to fool people into thinking their remakes were originally American. I find the whole process slightly anoying, but I don't really care that much anyways.

That's why I'm doing a midterm project on Yimou Zhang. 3 other people in my Electronic Field Production class are also doing foreign directors. And these are people who I thought couldn't place USA on a map. So, more people are looking into foreign works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3