• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Still no boats like that

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:49 am Reply with quote
I was watching the first Lupin DVD this weekend, and in one of the episodes they are on a Cruise ship that is huge.

Upon boarding the boat, Jigen goes to the ship map and is looking the boat over. It has a number of bars, pools and what not... and a horse racing track.

Last year my wife and I went on a cruise on the largest crusie ship in the world, the "Explorer of the Seas."

It had 18 decks, a rock climbing wall, an ice rink, a 2000 person capacity theatre, 18 bars, 2 dance clubs... but still no horse track.

You'd figure that 25 years after the TV show was made we'd at least have a boat with a friggen horse racing track?

Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:54 am Reply with quote
But what if the horses got seasick? I don't know that there'd be enough Dramamine to go around Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
FallenAngelFish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:13 am Reply with quote
As a person who works with horses I'm more than happy to explain why.

Besides the obvious part, such as the fact that horses need to graze outside, there's also the fun fact that horses poop 8-12 times a day.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:17 am Reply with quote
Didn't you see The Ring? Horses jump off of boats and get ground up by the propellers. That's why they don't keep horses on boats.

Plus in 1852 they were transporting horses via sailing ship across a major Atlantic trade route, and the horses staged a mutiny. The leader of this group, one Captain Apples, ravaged the seven seas for nearly a decade before being brought down by the Royal Navy and shot for treason in 1861. They passed an international law banning horses from boats.

Hope that answers your question.

-Zac
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Good old Answerman answers another question. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Phew, thanks Tempest! For a second there, my mind was thrown in so much turmoil I didn't know what to do. I was just about to write back a 4 page rant on how ludicrous it would be to have a race track on a boat.

Shocked REALLY, ZAC? That's amazing! I didn't know that! Thanks for the info! I'll need to put that in my history paper; you just saved me a ton of work!
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:39 am Reply with quote
For a fascinating documentary of the Captain Apples revolt, you should all see the serious film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. With narration by Matt Damon! And ear-shattering aural discord somehow called "music" by Bryan Adams!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:40 pm Reply with quote
But as a counterpoint, haven't you all seen The Black Stallion? In the event of a shipwreck a horse may be your only chance to reach the safety of a photogenic island.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cgoten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:31 pm Reply with quote
This thread has changed my life. I now no longer trust horses when I'm on a boat. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:54 pm Reply with quote
You're all prejudice against horses.

I mean, what've horses ever done to you?

And here you want them to race around in circles... out in the middle of the ocean? :p

Down with the Horse Repression! The Stallion Shall Ride Alone Again!

Come, my equine brothers! We shall be proud and free as we once were, with no Ocean-bound race tracks to ensnare us, and no propellers to dice us into little bits...

Nor shall we visit Uncle Elmer's Glue Factory, although I see you yung'ins are eager to go! :p

Freedom! Neigh!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
I mean, what've horses ever done to you?

They killed my father, mother, brother, and my dog. They also ate my arms off. Down with horses! I swear they're plotting to take over the world! I sawed it on TV. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:02 am Reply with quote
Do your shrinks know all of you are here? Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:30 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you think we need psychiatrists. I am very offended by the very thought. See what I mean?

Very offended indeed. You shall be banned forever.

... and then I can take over the world! :D
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:43 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Very offended indeed. You shall be banned forever.

... and then I can take over the world! Very Happy

So you're saying I'm the only thing standing between you and world domination? Well, that just boosted my ego! 8)

Emerje
Vicious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:36 am Reply with quote
They say that on the darkest, stormiest nights the ghost of Captain Apples brings terror to wandering ships even to this day...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2