• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wit Studio Produces The One Piece Anime Series Remake for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, can't say I was expecting that. Not surprising that One Piece would eventually get remade to bring in new fans, but I wouldn't have guessed it would happen while the original is still airing!

I'm curious to see how the early episodes will play out as the pacing was pretty good from what I remember. I'm guessing they'll condense it in comparison though regardless since they probably want a leaner episode count.

i got the shivers! wrote:

I think the only real drawback to a remake will be the soundtrack. One Piece has an amazing soundtrack in the early era. They'll have some big shoes to fill with tracks like Overtaken playing during the walk to Arlong Park.

Agreed. That's one of my favorite early scenes and the music is why I'd recommend the early anime over the manga to start out the series.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:56 pm Reply with quote
testfaze wrote:
Are we sure it's a series? The trailer on Studio Wit's YouTube channel says it's a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dcvNTrocc

Getting back to this, it's definitely a series. When I wrote this article, I had not seen Netflix's English press release yet (it probably hadn't been posted yet at that point), but the Japanese Tweet itself embedded in this article says "new anime series." "新アニメシリーズ"

But yes the Netflix press release in English says anime series:
https://about.netflix.com/en/news/new-anime-series-the-one-piece
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
This news caught me off-guard, I don't think I've ever seen the remake of a series being made while the original series is still airing. But seeing how the One Piece's popularity outside of Japan has exploded in recent years, and that the original series came out so long ago, it is not so far-fetched that they want to make a sort of soft-reboot to the anime to bring new fans that maybe aren't to keen to watch Toei's anime.

In some aspects I'm more intrigued as to how Toei let Wit Studio work on this version, I thought they have the animation rights to One Piece in perpetuity or something like that. I remember reading stories of how they stopped Go Nagai and some young animators from making a Mazinger Z OVA in the 80s, or the rumors about them not wanting others studios to obtain the rights to Saint Seiya. Though I think Sailor Moon Crystal's third season and the movies were done with the help of JC Staff.

As for the voice cast, I assume that the same cast from the orignal anime will be kept intact, just like how they reprised their roles for the dub of the live-action series. As someone who watches One Piece in Neutral Spanish, the dub cast has been kind of incosistent, with Luffy having 5 different voices in the anime if we include the 4Kids version, while Iñaki Godoy dubbed himself in the live-action. With Netflix distributing the anime I guess the dub will keep the cast from the main anime which started in 2020. It's kind of amazing that some actors from the 4Kids version, like Nami, Sanji and Zoro are still voicing their characters in that version and the live-action as well in the case of Nami

>Though I think Sailor Moon Crystal's third season and the movies were done with the help of JC Staff.

It’s Studio Deen not J.C Staff
Which did helped toei before in the last old seasons toei did before the modern season.
liatris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 am Reply with quote
I think the reason for this remake is more for outside of Japan than Japan.
The One Piece anime began 24 years ago, and at the time, the state of Japanese anime broadcasts outside of Japan was very poor. I think you non-Japanese know that better than I do. Censorship and alteration were commonplace in the U.S., and there was no right of control on the Japanese side.
Furthermore, the current situation of accepting anime outside of Japan is completely different from that of those days. Regardless of the quality of the work, it was already commonplace in Japan for animation to be viewed by a large number of people. This is because of the long and continuous history that has continued since before Dragon Ball.
However, we now know that if a work is well known, has a certain level of quality, and is advertised correctly, many people will watch it.

In other words, this is the biggest step we can take to let people outside of Japan know about the right One Piece. There will be far more people who will watch from the first episode now than there were 24 years ago.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:57 am Reply with quote
i can't believe people are actually saying they would prefer a 'Kai' treatment rather than a full blown remake. Kai was such a lazy product that it got canned in Japan after Cell because people lost interest and merchandise sales dried up. How do you mess up that bad with a Dragonball series? Never seen the One Pace fan edit people talk about and I don't care too, but just in general going back to edit an existing series is not a great way to watch a series. It was originally made one way and even if you don't like the pacing you can't reasonably edit things out and change things around because the entire process was reliant on like the timing of the music. Then again I know there's people also watch anime at 2x and 3x speed as well and use episode guides to 'skip filler' so some people just don't care about presentation and just want to get through watching something fast.

Anyway, a full blown remake is much more preferable to get. I'd rather something else that really needs one like Konjiki no Gash or Promised Neverland would get one but I won't say no to this.
Vercinto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:
i can't believe people are actually saying they would prefer a 'Kai' treatment rather than a full blown remake.
It's easier to believe when you accept that most people are idiots.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess netflix was like "Wow, our one piece series did well, let's remake the anime with attack on titan's studio, that would be another hit (money bag)"
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
A lot of people don't watch Toei's series for reasons, and this may be something that will bring them in.
Do this kind of reboot ten years from now. Doing this reboot while the Toei show is still running seems crass and insulting to all the people who work their butts off on that show every week for the past two and a half decades and coming off a high year with all the praise the Wano arc got. And you already have the live action remake doing a condensed retelling that was also highly praised.

Please if we all waited for One Piece to end before doing a reboot/shortened version, we'd all be dead Very Happy
Tiago97

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
The first part of the manga was 597 chapters and it was turned into 481 episodes. With better pacing and no anime original content you could get that down to just under 200 easily.

I think reducing the first part of One Piece to 200 episodes would actually be a really bad idea, unless you want to lose all semblance of pacing, momentum and scale (and Romance). The Toei anime is fine before the time-skip for the most part.

Maybe 300 or 350 episodes I can see, but most One Piece chapters have so much content, from dialogue to lore to small jokes that you can't get 597 chapters down to 200 without losing a lot of what makes One Piece One Piece.
Wack Sage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:10 am Reply with quote
So will MAPPA animated the rest of the series after East Blue? Laughing
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
Nigel Planter wrote:
i can't believe people are actually saying they would prefer a 'Kai' treatment rather than a full blown remake.
It's easier to believe when you accept that most people are idiots.

Err. What? There's nothing dumb about wanting a kai treatment. You get an editted down version with all the filler removed which is all people want anyway. Since the toei anime will reach the finale, the editted down kai version can reach the finale assuming it's not cancelled. And you get the WHOLE THING without wasting precious animator labour hours, meaning those animators can be doing something far more productive than making a reboot.

If the kai version turned out to suck? That's nice and all but the fundamental premise, editting an existing longform work down to an abridged version is perfectly sound. Abridged versions of things weren't invented by anime. Sure Dragonball Kai or One Piece Kai can suck but so can a reboot, and if you get a bad reboot, well again, animation labour hours have been wasted on nothing, and you have to wait for the current reboot to finish or get cancelled before there's an opportunity to get a third reboot, which is already unlikely anyway.

I swear most people who play the "remember everyone else but me and you Wink are dumb" card are themselves very, very 'simple'.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
How many people yearning for more anime-original productions bothered to watch Overtake! this season? The industry won't make original stories if no one watches them.

BTW, Overtake! was the hidden gem of this past season.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How many people yearning for more anime-original productions bothered to watch Overtake! this season? The industry won't make original stories if no one watches them.

People are complaining about reboots, not manga adaptions, so you're kind of strawmanning.

Also, manga adaptions are my preferred source material outside of visual novels, I prefer manga/VN to originals, and prefer originals to light novels/web novels. Some originals are masterworks like Tsuritama and Dennou Coil while others are "stock ragtag action anime" or "stock badass scifi".
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I feel like when people complain about lack of original anime they mean a very specific kind of niche series that isn't all that popular. The kind of stuff that doesn't get made for a reason.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

^^^ THIS ^^^ Overtake is a great little show!

Also despite the awful CG, Kami.Erabi is also pretty good, a wild story that only Nier's Yoko Taro can provide. His name was the only reason I watched it, and it hasn't disappointed!

And for what it's worth, Girlfriend Girlfriend has also been stupidly entertaining.

I do think there is concern animating something that already exists, but it can help if the old anime is outdated in the production department, and they get rid of the filler stuff and maybe even tighten up the pacing too. A remake could be worth it, and they can stop once they get closer to the better quality more recent seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8