• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: J.K. Rowling Compares Zombie Land Saga TERF Meme to Anti-Suffragist Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiro-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The Chained Wolf wrote:
As a Brit, I can tell you that transphobia and TERFs worryingly seem to get stronger. The trans community doesn’t nickname the UK “TERF Island” for no reason, and Rowling is by no means the worst offender out there. As someone how has been in a long-term, long-distance relationship with a non-binary person, I do worry about him if he were ever to visit the UK. I go through loads on news websites as part of my job daily, and just about every day I come across another transphobic attack in the British media. I truly worry for the how
my nation is becoming more hostile to this minority.

I have to ask but for you and other people who feel this strongly about the issue how you do you justify being on an anime website and consuming media made from Japan? If people think the US and the UK are horrible places for trans people to live and it's that important of an issue for them then I'm curious how they feel about Japan which by all accounts sounds to be even worse. Getting so upset over Harry Potter and JK Rowling but liking anime and manga seem kind of hypocritical. I haven't read Harry Potter in a long time but I don't recall any offensive trans portrayals in the books like you see in a ton of anime and manga. I guess some anime is more obvious with it than others like how the reviewers here totally roasted Onimai and called it offensive but it's a pretty common thing to see in Japanese media to varying degrees. And the actual laws regarding trans people in Japan are pretty oppressive from what I read. I guess most mangaka aren't openly political unless they're actual politicians like Ken Akamatsu. But who knows how many of them donate to the LDP or other major political parties that are generally anti-trans. It seems like it's hard to be a fan of Japanese media and also pro-trans unless you only stick to the small indie manga made by LGBT creators and avoid all the mainstream and popular stuff that partake in the stereotypes and derogatory portrayals.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me she has a point, what is the aim of all these "anti-transphobia" "anti-TERF" communications but to silence and attack someone whose views are different from yours? And what are those terms but to mischaracterize and vilify the same, which is a hallmark of propaganda. Trans people would likely get their lawyers out to beat those who use terms like "tr*aps" or whatever into submission but labelling people as "transphobic" (BTW, that means fear of transsexuals, not antagonists of them) and TERF, etc. is celebrated and normalized. Another version of intolerance...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Seems to me she has a point, what is the aim of all these "anti-transphobia" "anti-TERF" communications but to silence and attack someone whose views are different from yours? And what are those terms but to mischaracterize and vilify the same, which is a hallmark of propaganda. Trans people would likely get their lawyers out to beat those who use terms like "tr*aps" or whatever into submission but labelling people as "transphobic" (BTW, that means fear of transsexuals, not antagonists of them) and TERF, etc. is celebrated and normalized. Another version of intolerance...

Truly an incredible post you've got there. It almost made me think I was back in 2003 reading an equally stupid take about how gay people were the REAL bigots for calling people homophobic. You even got the "well, actually, -phobic doesn't mean you HATE it" bit that the dumbest pedants on the internet liked to trot out. Phenomenal work, possibly your masterpiece of bad posts on this forum.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm Reply with quote
hiro-chan wrote:
The Chained Wolf wrote:
As a Brit, I can tell you that transphobia and TERFs worryingly seem to get stronger. The trans community doesn’t nickname the UK “TERF Island” for no reason, and Rowling is by no means the worst offender out there. As someone how has been in a long-term, long-distance relationship with a non-binary person, I do worry about him if he were ever to visit the UK. I go through loads on news websites as part of my job daily, and just about every day I come across another transphobic attack in the British media. I truly worry for the how
my nation is becoming more hostile to this minority.

I have to ask but for you and other people who feel this strongly about the issue how you do you justify being on an anime website and consuming media made from Japan? If people think the US and the UK are horrible places for trans people to live and it's that important of an issue for them then I'm curious how they feel about Japan which by all accounts sounds to be even worse. Getting so upset over Harry Potter and JK Rowling but liking anime and manga seem kind of hypocritical. I haven't read Harry Potter in a long time but I don't recall any offensive trans portrayals in the books like you see in a ton of anime and manga. I guess some anime is more obvious with it than others like how the reviewers here totally roasted Onimai and called it offensive but it's a pretty common thing to see in Japanese media to varying degrees. And the actual laws regarding trans people in Japan are pretty oppressive from what I read. I guess most mangaka aren't openly political unless they're actual politicians like Ken Akamatsu. But who knows how many of them donate to the LDP or other major political parties that are generally anti-trans. It seems like it's hard to be a fan of Japanese media and also pro-trans unless you only stick to the small indie manga made by LGBT creators and avoid all the mainstream and popular stuff that partake in the stereotypes and derogatory portrayals.

I often see criticisms of stereotypical or offensive portrayals in anime. As a Western viewer, you can be sure you are going to run into material you find offensive at some point, especially if, like me, you happen to be of the liberal persuasion. However, making a blanket statement about being hypocritical if you are an anime fan in general and oppose TERF views/transphobia is just dopey. If an anime doesn't contain any element that is offensive, what's the problem? To say that in order to be consistent you have to boycott a non-offensive anime simply because it comes out of Japan is... well, the rules here regarding polite and respectful communication at ANN prohibit from calling that type of thinking what I want to, so I'll just leave it at that. I don't know what it is about TERFs and transphobes, but if this thread is any indication, that segment is incapable of mounting any kind of rational argument.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:12 am Reply with quote
GasterTheGreat wrote:
Nothing in that article touches upon people trying to make it illegal just to be trans. Only in certain specific scenarios are there arguments being made.

Oh sure. "We don't say it should be illegal to be trans, we simply refuse to accept your identity as a trans person." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, as much as the "omg men will pretend to be women to harrass them!!!" people like to forget, it's not like men need to do that if they want to harrass women. I've had men coming after me into women's bathrooms. I've had men come into women's changing rooms. Hell, when I was a teenager I was part of the swimming club at school, and at the gym we used (not the school's property, btw, but even so, dear god why) the way to the actual pools and the toilets led through a part of the women's changing room, not to mention public hairdryers were also only available in the women's changing room! Any man going to the pool, going to the toilet, or wanting to dry his hair had to basically enter the women's changing room, the intent was really obvious, and nobody did anything about it. It's this easy for men to basically invite themselves into women's spaces - there's no need whatsoever for them to pretend to be women.

And as for sports teams, there's a discussion to be had about trans people's sports performance, studies about how it changes and what it depends on, etc. but the key is discussion and studies. It's not up to Random Politician With An Agenda to decide on arbitrary reasons and lobby groups.

GasterTheGreat wrote:
By the way these laws are being proposed one side has to give up something for the other to be happy.

Oh sure. Trans people have to give up their right to their identity to be recognized and the right to live as their true gender. Someone who lives as a woman (because it's always about trans women, for some reason these groups don't give a crap about trans guys? what about men's right to not be harrassed in the bathroom by perverted women, huh?) has to give up her right to use the women's bathroom and is forced to use the men's bathroom, even if she doesn't even have male genitalia anymore.

But at least on the other hand, anti-trans people have to give up...

...what exactly?

GasterTheGreat wrote:
Although even if people disagree with someone I do not condone threats of violence being made towards anyone. For people who do that all it does is make their side look bad and essentially prove your opponent right about discussions of safety and violence. Abrasiveness is also shown to drive moderates away from your cause so if nothing else that political advantage alone should be reason enough to discourage this kind of behavior.

This kind of pearl clutching is always so cute. Sure, let's just judge this one aggressive internet meme targeting people who make it their job to harrass, bully, threaten trans people and trans allies on a daily basis, not just on the internet but IRL as well. If JK Rowling finds this meme dangerous and offensive maybe she should first look into what may have inspired people to make it in the first place. Maybe she'd finally have to acknowledge that she's openly supporting people who have called genocide on trans people, among other things.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
but labelling people as "transphobic" (BTW, that means fear of transsexuals, not antagonists of them)

Remind me of what part of the largely unjustified opposition to transsexuals is based off?

Particularly when it comes to people who insist the aforementioned individuals (along with homosexuals) pose a substantial danger to “our” children more so than straight people who sexually and physically abuse these kids they claim to fear for the safety and emotional/mental well being of.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:20 am Reply with quote
RemGalleuSimp wrote:
J.K Rowling is just such a horrid piece of shit it's unbelievable. Really wish she would just crawl into a hole somewhere and shut the hell up.

its just like what amanda win lee also said on her twitter page. you don't know a person until they become rich, famous and have an influential voice and this here proves that some people don't deserve the prestige.

cant blame her for encouraging her followers on twitter to boycott the Hogwarts legacy game for all that promoting of that game and the franchise as a whole does is further encourage JK's bias and wont send a message that actions have consequences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:26 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
As someone with no horse in this race as a Harry Potter fan or a political activist

Then your ignorant, "I'm not taking sides buuuuut here's the side I'm taking" nothing of a take really doesn't matter and you should take a moment to think before hitting the submit button if you're in a thread that you have no stake in. Confused
utenagoddess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Good. Bullying terfs and transphobes is always acceptable. I hope more Japanese creators and vtubers get shamed and shown that their actions are hurtful. Educating more transphobic cultures and people is the responsibility of those more knowledgable than them. One day Japan will learn this kind of stuff is not acceptable even if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
utenagoddess wrote:
Good. Bullying terfs and transphobes is always acceptable.

Yeah, no.

Bullying isn't acceptable under any circumstances, and you believing your cause to be righteous or the subject to be awful and deserving doesn't excuse that. So let's not go there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Evan Wu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It's still quite popular, but anyone who thinks it's anywhere close to the level of popularity it enjoyed 15 years ago is kidding themselves.

About that.

https://www.gamepur.com/news/hogwarts-legacy-breaks-twitch-record-amasses-huge-viewership-on-early-access-launch-day

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hogwarts-legacy-now-best-selling-game-steam-epic-games-store-amazon-1712284

The game has broken several records in both Twitch viewers, YouTube viewers, and sales records on multiple storefronts. I think the notion that Harry Potter is no longer relevant or popular in the modern day can be put to rest. Perhaps some might have abandoned the franchise for political reasons or choose to publicly hide their love for it out of fear of being attacked, but it does not appear to have hurt the actual numbers at all: especially in non-English speaking territories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6