• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se7en-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I just thought it was hilarious that the first Bleach movie got a higher overall score. Rolling Eyes

gotta agree with that one. lol
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Okay, rather than continuing in discussion that will never end, I guess I'll just rather tell. why many people have a polarized opinions about F/Z, in my opinion :

1. It's a prequel. Furthermore, it's a prequel from a visual novel.
Although it's watchable for those who didn't know anything about fate, the depth that people who already know a lot about fate universe (or even more, naruverse)

2. Many people expecting something wrong.
Many people have a wrong expectation about fate, expecting fate to be a works of many shiny battles, supported with decent story.
Actually, it's an exposition-heavy story, supported with some decent battles. Don't expect it to be fast-running story about many actions from epic heroes from the past.
If you're expecting that, it's probably same with expecting Clannad to be a light-hearted slice of life story and then complaining when Clannad after story have a lot of tears everywhere.

3. It's similiar to pace from visual novels.
F/Z is not a VN, but from what I see up till know, it has the same pattern.
Story-centric VNs have a tendency to have a deep expositions and character explorations at the first half, before finally heading to conflicts/actions/character developments later on.
To enjoy it, you need a lot of patience in the beginning. But,usually, the patience will be awarded with grand enjoyment, since the more it dig, the more it has potential to be epic.

It's not the type of works who are not patient about it. Watch/Read something else.

4. It will be better
If you wonder why many people praise it so high,
I read everywhere that it's a general consensus that F/Z always get better the more the story goes on.

And next time, I am hoping that the reviews will be more acknowledging the good sides of F/Z (and any other anime), and giving a fair score : accommodating the plus and minus from both sides.

Since, I can only read few things that is a real weakness. Many factors that justify the poor score come from : "Because this is not my taste, so it's bad". If you can spot some weakness in the story/dialogues despite of the general pacing, which is very subjective, please tell me.

I hope you'll like the next episodes more than this first quarter.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it is just a show. Just a cartoon, just a movie, just a book, just a whatever. There's no reason to take it all so personally.

And this is just an internet discussion. Yet you deemed it important to defend the reviewer from warranted or unwarranted criticism (I haven't seen any distinct ad hominems yet). You should know very well what is the rationale behind criticizing someone who doesn't like a show you like and why it so often happens in geekdom. Do you really think there is an objective place where the "it was just a ..." defense starts to be valid?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
...these are shows that he has rated higher...

I'm going to focus on one of those series you listed: The Daichis
Here's the DVD 2 review
Here's the DVD 3 review

The Daichis was a series I purchased on impulse and turned into one of the most surprising productions I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't begin explaining it to anyone who rated Death Note a masterpiece because I believe they'll never make the connection.

Your attempted discrediting of Carlos' review of Fate/Zero just backfired, and for that, I thank you. If anything, you just helped establish a connection I simply overlooked by focusing just on the series itself while reading.

I wasn't too impressed with Fate/Stay Night because of the similar constructs Carlos found disappointing in this one, so it's not going to be surprising I find this a mediocre title as well.

It's currently in my CR queue, awaiting a viewing. It'll be waiting a bit longer now. I'll see if I can't find another surprise as I did with Koihime Muso.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I've been out of school for a while now but I doubt that the basic standards have changed.

0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

Having to switch high schools in my final year, I was surprised to find at my new high school that scoring a 90 or 91 would only net me a "B". I don't recall where the break between a B and C or lower was, as I generally didn't have to worry about that. This wasn't some school half way across the country either; it was about 25 miles from my old one.

My point is, even within the United States, the grading scale you presented may be dominant, but it is certainly not universal.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Your attempted discrediting of Carlos' review of Fate/Zero just backfired, and for that, I thank you.

I didn't purposely select shows that I thought were terrible. I simply listed all the shows that he had given a C+ in terms of either Overall (sub) or Overall (dub). It is a factual list. Nothing more, nothing less.

One of the weirdest comments I've ever had directed at me. o_0

Oh, and no. There will be no pointless yuri fanservice and god-awful characterization. Nor will there be random eating contests. I can assure you that Fate/Zero is no Koihime Musou.
DragoZERO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
So... one of the most looked forward to anime series this year that is based on a novel written by one of the best authors of recent time which is based on the THE best visual novel of all time get's a C...?

Well, to be fair Carlos thinks this is a spin off series, so he obviously doesn't know anything about this. I wish this site would get some good writers for once.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I didn't purposely select shows that I thought were terrible.

Truth be told, I have to admit I didn't think you saw any of them.

Quote:
I simply listed all the shows that he had given a C+ in terms of either Overall (sub) or Overall (dub). It is a factual list. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, it's a factual list, but its context discredits the "nothing more, nothing less" when it's followed with "Well, enjoy being a contrarian."

Quote:
One of the weirdest comments I've ever had directed at me. o_0

Weirdest? Interesting. Well, let me just say this: if your attempt wasn't to discredit Carlos' opinion, your original post didn't communicate its point effectively.

Quote:
I can assure you that Fate/Zero is no Koihime Musou.

LOL! I would certainly hope so, but let's not pretend these elements wouldn't hurt the sales of Fate/Zero. The doujinshi I've seen between Saber and Rin was enough to make me blush.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
DragoZERO wrote:
Well, to be fair Carlos thinks this is a spin off series, so he obviously doesn't know anything about this.

I was also never aware that Gen Urobuchi and the Type-Moon staff are actually white people who just desperately wish to be Japanese.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Zac wrote:

I've been out of school for a while now but I doubt that the basic standards have changed.

0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

Having to switch high schools in my final year, I was surprised to find at my new high school that scoring a 90 or 91 would only net me a "B". I don't recall where the break between a B and C or lower was, as I generally didn't have to worry about that. This wasn't some school half way across the country either; it was about 25 miles from my old one.

My point is, even within the United States, the grading scale you presented may be dominant, but it is certainly not universal.

lol. Some people go around and murdering people for fun, but that certainly isn't universal (I hope not anyways o.o).

Who cares, I think we can generally accept this as the grading system here in the U.S. If we cared what other countries thought we wouldn't be using feet instead of meters and Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. Or maybe for now on ANN should give multiple ratings to properly coincide with each region/country. Nah, I think we should just be proper Americans.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Wow! Over 70 comments in less than a week!

I have only watched some episodes from Fate Stay Night, so I haven't watched this one. Wonder if ANN will review the new Hunter x Hunter anime or the new Gundam
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Wow! Over 70 comments in less than a week!

I have only watched some episodes from Fate Stay Night, so I haven't watched this one. Wonder if ANN will review the new Hunter x Hunter anime or the new Gundam

Feel free to, it is a prequel after all. I have a friend who is watching it without watching or playing fate/stay night and they seem to be enjoying it just fine.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Not unusual. Reviewers love to downgrade Type Moon stuff, and that's nothing new.

Like Unlimited Blade Works, critics will eat its flesh and gnaw its bones, while completely ignoring the entertainment value.

For example, I'm sure that Persona 4 will get much better ratings and compliments and stuff, but entertainment wise the thing sucks so bad.

This is politics.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much time, so I'll make this brief Zac.

--- You dodged the question of why there aren't more lower-rated titles on the site. Reiterating the same point you made last time is not actually addressing the issue.

--- You yourself have said in the past that it would be unethical for editors to just change the grades a reviewer has assigned. If that is not true - and by your words of "fake rule" I assume it is false - then, well, I don't want to call you a liar, but you can't have been telling the truth both times.

--- Yes, I don't want to have to deal with you, for personal reasons, but also because you didn't write the review or assign the grades. Carlo's name is on the byline, that's who I want to talk to. Especially when you're stonewalling.

--- By "target audience" I am saying people who buy home media releases (in whatever format, whether it be on tablet computer, DVDs, Blu-Rays, whatever) and want to know if the Anime getting reviewed is worth them spending hard-earned cash on. I do concede that you have access to actual survey data, so if in actuality you get lots of page views from say, outraged 4Channers, then I do apologise for being so presumptuous.

--- I was giving reasons for why I would have given a higher score. I was giving reasons for why I didn't think the review was fair. If I hadn't provided reasons you would have then accused me of just blindly attacking the review without putting forward my justifications. I find this rather unfair, that no matter which path I take you'll be there in a yeti costume to scare me off.

--- I wasn't being condescending to Carlo, I wasn't being an arsehole, and the lack of Mod action to my posts pretty much proves that. If I actually had been you would have come down like the proverbial ton of bricks. But since I wasn't, I don't know why you would even bring that up.

--- My point with Justin was, he is someone with whom you work with, so I thought if you could be reminded of how much he can get into Anime then maybe you wouldn't be so dismissive of other people's enthusiasm. That's why I did it.

Well, looks like I had more time than I thought. Now, feel free to reply, but I will not counter-reply. I've spent enough time and effort defending a show which I merely like, not love.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice any factual errors in the review, so that means the issues are ones of personal perception and, IMO, it is foolish to get upset with someone whose tastes differ from your own.

If I were writing the review, I would've given F/Z different grades than Santos did. But I am *not* writing the review, and so long as I feel his opinions are honestly held (and have no doubts in that regard), I have no issues with the scores he gave in his review.

BTW: Zac's grading scale may not be absolutely universal, but it's very generally followed in the USofA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6