• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess my question is, if you asked a statistically useful sample of people "how old does this character look", would the typical answer vary depending on where people are from? Though I suppose the comparison with Smol Kusuri is fair; I think we're intended to interpret her as physically an elementary-schooler.

freebird1994 wrote:
Honestly the only ones that could be shocked we have hit MILF at number 6 has probably no exposure to the harem genre.

Did Raku Ichijo ever date a mother and daughter simultaneously? Futaro Uesugi? Keima Katsuragi? Naoya Mukai? Keitaro Urashima? I don't think you can even find that in the likes of Rito Yuki, Tenchi Masaki, or Toya Mochizuki -- you have to go to, like, 0verflow territory.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Did Raku Ichijo ever date a mother and daughter simultaneously?

That certainly would have made for an interesting end to the Christmas storyline I'll tell ya that much Laughing
freebird1994

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I don't think you can even find that in the likes of Rito Yuki, Tenchi Masaki, or Toya Mochizuki -- you have to go to, like, 0verflow territory.

If anything To-love ru suffered from a lack of diversity in its cast. Like iirc weren't there at least 3 different versions of tsunderes in that series? Also there were plenty of MILFs in that series too, though I don't remember if they were ever explored or if they were just casualties of yuki's "lucky pervert" syndrome.

Probably shouldn't use Tenchi masaki as an example here. Considering that series spoiler[has incest abound. I mean ayaka is what, technically tenchis great aunt? Like the family tree for that series is more like a family stump. Pretty sure ANN has an article about the masaki family tree so if someone with authority could put it as a link that would be sweet. ]

I basically ment that sure, MOST harems don't always go the Oyakadon route. It certainly is a road less traveled. But we gotta get 100 girls into this thing. At this point we might as well take a 2-for-1 if presented. spoiler[Plus it's not like it slows down from here. So you know what? Sure lets have this be the get off point. Cause honestly if you can stomach this, you'll be fine when grandma gets involved.]
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
Probably shouldn't use Tenchi masaki as an example here. Considering that series spoiler[has incest abound. I mean ayaka is what, technically tenchis great aunt? Like the family tree for that series is more like a family stump. Pretty sure ANN has an article about the masaki family tree so if someone with authority could put it as a link that would be sweet. ]

I put it where I did specifically because it's at the more extreme end of the scale, and the OVA continuity was well-known for quite some time for its tangled family trees, and yet as far as I know, it still doesn't reach the point of having a mother and daughter romantically involved with the same person. If the spectrum of harem madness has Love Hina at one end and the non-Euclidean monstrosity of Tomaru Sawagoe's family tree at the other, Hyakkano is close to the latter end than most.

An apples-to-apples comparison with Tenchi is hard, because Tenchi's weirdness is more complicated than the extremes of "yes, Rentaro is ALSO dating THAT character", but my general point stands -- you can be familiar with quite a lot of popular harem anime/manga and still not have run into anything as wild as Hahari.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I love how every girl gets to contribute to the mission and do their part in a way that's both them and hilarious.

I love the RentaroxKarane climb over lasers with the butt shots and Karane orgasming from his face on her tummy.

I love the music refernece.

I love the build up from Rentaro not being able to see to the moment his eyes clear up from crying over Hahari's story to the "zing" moment and Hahari going from dominating MILF to a teenager in love again.

but really the fact that they cast Sumire Uesaka and gave Hahari such an eye-catching design should've been a clue that she would be more than just a girls' mother. I actually wonder if they're going to update the OP/ED with more Hahari. Considering Sumippe's singing talent I wonder if there's also a version of the OP where she joins the other female seiyuu in singing it.
L0ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
I'm a bit surprised Nicholas didn't have any criticism for the author making Hahari a virgin, since female love interests aren't allowed to be "used goods" in Japan.

Seeing some people commented on Hahari being technically a virgin and viewing it from the angle of wanting to make heroine look "purer" I think it's too early to assume they not willing to go there. Because 100 girlfriends is the kind of series that spoiler[ actually has one girlfriend as experienced, we know Yaku had intercourse with her husband and has a child , so she is not a virgin even if her current body is young.]. Anyway, amazing adaptation as always!
Gnarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:45 am Reply with quote
Probably my favorite episode yet, I laughed the whole time at the sheer insanity and Karane is an absolute treasure. She had Rentaro's back this entire ordeal, gave her all to help him and even fought through her tsundere-ness when asked to. And I think she's the prettiest regardless of her cup size. Best girl by far.

I appreciated that they cut off the drama just when I thought it was starting to feel a bit much, and I also loved all the meta jokes about running time and ending sequence... speaking of which, it was glorious! I lost it at the "reinterpretation" of Botticelli's Primavera, whoever made it is a genius.

Finally, I'm sure it won't happen, but if I ever end up in the timeline where the show actually delivers what that last scene suggests, I think I'll seriously start clapping at the screen.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
A tsundere's greatest weakness. An exact lie detector. Almost killed Rentaro before it made Karane blab how much she love love love loves him!

I love how this started off as a "save the daughter from their controlling mother" arc and ended up being a "romancing said mother" arc. Because that just about sums up this show.

spoiler[Was that a Mei cameo? She was voiced by Suzuko Mimori which would make sense that they'd cast a "name." And also someone who will join the chorus of next season's OP.]

I knew they'd have Sumipe sing something but I wasn't expecting a full-blown Hahari ED that they spoiled in the opening minutes or it would be so crazy even by Sumipe character song standards. I'm also fully expecting they'll update the OP next week to have Hahari joining the other girls considering she's on the cover for the OP album.
L0ken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
My favourite episode as well, they even did Hahari's ED! Sheer amount of passion from staff is insane, fans are truly blessed to have 100gf adapted this well. To think people were initially fearing Bibury won't do it justice but it turned out to be their best work! We need to support the series so they produce more, thinking of ordering japanese volumes and some merch like figurines in addition to my seven seas english volumes.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:05 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if the maid was one of the girls. I didn't really pay her much mind until I realized she's one of those characters who inexplicably keep their eyes closed all the time. The idea that nothing was triggered because she never had her eyes open around him definitely seems like the kind of joke this show would pull.

Super excited for season 2.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:36 am Reply with quote
This finale concluded in peak Harem Romcom fashion with the proper resolution to Hahari's romance arc as the "widow" of Rentaro's Girlfriends (showing this show can still be sincere and genuinely romantic no matter how insane it gets), crossdressing fanservice, a Horny Harem, Shizuka catching sight of Rentaro's "Mr. Elephant," Akira Ishida as a middle school father and lover approving of Rentaro, and Hahari joining the school in the most Hahari way possible.

And the cherry on top is the tease of the season 2 girlfriends as we close things out.

What a stellar adaption to what has been one of the most well-produced and enjoyable Harem Romcoms of all time. And the best part...we're getting more!!!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
something anyone should take To Heart regardless of what kind of romance they do or don't practice.

This case of the usual over-eager autolinker amuses me. Feels poetic.

Quote:
As all of the Rentaro family are accounted for in the main image, let's spread some love and highlight some of these nice girls who showed up in the end credits this week.

spoiler[Not even trying to pretend the maid isn’t a future girlfriend, I see. Can’t blame you — even manga readers were calling it from the sleepover arc, and she’s even more conspicuous in this episode.]
quoss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
It- it's not like I read the entire series up to the newest chapter 161 in two days after finishing the anime or anything

karane still best girl
L0ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
It feels so good having adaptation that exceed even most optimistic expectation
100kano is my favourite harem/love gag and same remains true with anime adaptation, thank you Bibury!
Gnarth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:48 am Reply with quote
Really liked the season finale. The crossdressing bit was great, I wanted it to last longer and I have to say Nano ikemen was hot as hell. I'm never a fan of prude main characters, but I definetly enjoyed the voyeurism quest from the girls that totally fit the tone. Granted, I'm sure a lot of people would have had problems if the genders were swapped, and that's some hypocrisy I guess I have to accept.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this series and its unapologetic over-the-top absurdity, and the fact I didn't even blink when a phantom showed up speaks to how well it established its tone. Looking forward to season two, the new girls seem very promising!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6