• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gainax's Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting that I found out about this series by chance when looking on TV Tropes.

It mostly caught my eye because my girlfriend from Cameroon is called Nadia!

As I mentioned in another thread there hasn't been an R2 DVD release so far, & imported R1 sets are expensive.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
*Fingers crossed for Streamline dub inclusion*
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence, myself. I already own the TV series on DVD, so it will depend on the extras whether or not I buy the blu-ray version.

Still, this is great news for everyone that hasn't either seen Nadia or hadn't had the chance to own it before.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
RichardFromMarple wrote:
It was interesting that I found out about this series by chance when looking on TV Tropes.

No doubt the "island episodes" get around.

Quote:
It mostly caught my eye because my girlfriend from Cameroon is called Nadia!

There's always this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttc9aCSRqEY

gravediggernalk wrote:
*Fingers crossed for Streamline dub inclusion*

Wouldn't mind the kids sounding a little 'older' again!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Reading this thread makes me hope that this gets redubbed.

As soon as I read "Monster Island" I shuddered. That place always struck me as ADV's minor league (only it seemed that all of the "phenoms" in it never got to "play in the majors"). I enjoyed the dub of Dai-Guard and I don't remember the dub of Zone of the Enders being too terrible (the show though...) but anything done by the studio that dubbed Lost Universe is best redone IMO.

I scarcely recognize a single name on the dub cast @ ANN's encyclopedia.

This is probably the only Monster Island dub that, from what I've heard, turned out pretty spectacular. The reason you don't recognize the names is because real kids were used to voice the kids, and they did a great job.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Reading this thread makes me hope that this gets redubbed.

As soon as I read "Monster Island" I shuddered. That place always struck me as ADV's minor league (only it seemed that all of the "phenoms" in it never got to "play in the majors"). I enjoyed the dub of Dai-Guard and I don't remember the dub of Zone of the Enders being too terrible (the show though...) but anything done by the studio that dubbed Lost Universe is best redone IMO.

I scarcely recognize a single name on the dub cast @ ANN's encyclopedia.

This is probably the only Monster Island dub that, from what I've heard, turned out pretty spectacular. The reason you don't recognize the names is because real kids were used to voice the kids, and they did a great job.

Oh yeah, the ADV dub of Nadia is terrific IMO. The voices of the children were perfect IMO, and really brought the dub to life. The Grandis gang and the Nautilus guys were spot-on too. I love watching this show in English.

Quote:
I can't stand the ADV dub, mostly due to the insanely terrible phony French accents of Jean (and his uncle). It grates on me so badly, it's like nails and chalkboards and all that. Being one of the two MCs, that is a deal breaker for watching it like that, pretty much stuck to subbed-only every run.

I will admit that at first the French accents were a little iffy, but after about several episodes or so I got accustomed to it and now it's impossible for me to watch it subbed. Honestly, what do you expect? Nadia IS, after all, a show set in Europe. Do you really expect to hear Jean with a neutral American accent? Or everyone else to sound American since this is a story of characters around the world? That would kill the purpose of dubbing this into English! Seriously, you're missing out on a great dub. As mentioned, the voices of the kids are absolutely terrific and really give their characters a lot of soul. They're also better than the Streamline VAs.

As for Jean's VA, keep in mind he was twelve when he did the role and it was his first time acting in a dub, so naturally his accent is a bit iffy in the beginning. However, I thought he improved on it immensely as the show went on and by the end it sounded completely natural. What overcame the accent issue for me was the liveliness and enthusiasm he put into the part. I also really loved Ed Neal as Jean's Uncle; again, the exuberance and energy he put into it made up for the accent issue IMO.

Quote:
I think Nadia is actually one of ADV's weaker Monster Island dubs

I completely disagree. I think Nadia is one of their best. It's the dub that earned Monster Island my respect, and it still holds up quite well to my ears. The Streamline dub has its moments (the Grandis gang and Electra are roughly on par with their ADV counterparts, everyone else is either OK or miscast), but overall it's just not as good. (It DOES have iffy accents, too, as dragonridercody mentioned.) I just can't watch this in Japanese at all. I'd rather hear Jean, Nadia, and Marie sound like real children. That and as I mentioned, their adult co-stars are terrific IMO. It's one of my favorite dubs of all time. Monster Island has made some disappointing dubs -- Samurai X, for instance, but Nadia doesn't deserve to be accounted for as one of them. It's very underrated IMO.

As for the island episodes/Africa episodes DON'T BOTHER WITH THEM. They are seriously horrible, badly animated, poorly written atrocities that do nothing but destroy an otherwise great show. Yes, there are a few moments of genuine storytelling: the circus flashback scenes of Nadia, for instance, but otherwise it's just not worth it. Those episodes only succeeded in poisoning my elsewise positive view of the show. Even Anno was displeased with it. That's why Nadia should ONLY be watched like this: episodes 1-22, 31, and 35-39. Watching those bad episodes will only make one detest a great show.

Last edited by TurnerJ on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the above, do watch the Island episodes as they still add some character development and can be entertaining. If you're going for a rewatch, yeah you can probably skip them, but don't tell newcomers to skip anything when they may actually like it.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I disagree with the above, do watch the Island episodes as they still add some character development and can be entertaining. If you're going for a rewatch, yeah you can probably skip them, but don't tell newcomers to skip anything when they may actually like it.

Character development? LoL!!!! Sorry, but whatever happens in those episodes it is more like Character DERAILMENT. None of the characters act anything like their true selves, and they do some really stupid, OOC things, to the point that I found myself disliking them. Plus the storylines are absolutely embarrassing and insulting. The few bits of backstory for Nadia and episode 31 can't save this arc. It is abhorrently, legitimately bad. It is easily the worst batch of filler episodes EVER committed to Anime. Only 31 and parts of 30 are worthwhile, but the rest have absolutely NO reason to exist. They destroy the characters, add in cartoonish gags that are both unfunny and out of place, and there is nothing exciting OR entertaining about watching episode after episode of tantrums, King doing stupid things, reset pressing bits, or just random beach sitting with zero progress on the main story. The Africa arc has no reason to be in the story at all. It is both a distraction and ultimately made me dislike the title character. I seriously can't stand any of these episodes and there's no reason anyone should subject themselves to them unless they want to see a truly great show turn into a spectacularly bad one. Even other reviews have stated the same thing.

Even Hideaki Anno thought Nadia would have been far better without those episodes. Proof: he made a compiled cut called the "Nautilus Story" which eliminated all those filler episodes except parts of episode 30 and 31 (the only REAL important island episodes in that) and he cuts it down to fifteen minutes. True, he DOES cut down on the more important episodes too, but honestly, I would rather opt to sit through no more than that fifteen minute edit instead of subjecting people to ever sit through them.

I honestly have not met anyone who has liked any of these filler episodes. Most of the people I've talked to online, even newer fans, have absolutely been disappointed with them. I can suggest people to skip the island Africa episodes if I want to. They can either take my advice or leave it. If you care to disagree with me, be my guest. But don't say I didn't warn you.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence. Kinda want the JP box for my Gainax collection.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm still on the fence. Kinda want the JP box for my Gainax collection.

I don't suppose this new set will include the "Omakes" as well.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't suppose this new set will include the "Omakes" as well.

Probably not; ADV didn't exactly include them in their original license as well. It would've been great to have those dubbed too, because I love the ADV VAs in it so much. But sadly, the kids are too old by now. Sad What a shame, because all three were terrific. I already mentioned that in spite of Parson's sometimes shaky accent, I otherwise thought he did a great job as Jean. Meg Bauman seriously needs to do more voice acting; her Nadia is phenomenal. Margaret Cassidy's Marie is also miles better than her Japanese counterpart; every scene she's in is a delight. I tried listening to Nadia in Japanese one time. I really did, and honestly it just didn't feel right to me. No offense to the seiyuu, but I found the ADV dub to be the stronger of the two by far. Since then, I've stuck with the ADV dub and haven't looked back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5