• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disney's The Lion King finnaly Sued?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

The project started as a Kimba movie. The influence is about 100%. They just couldn't get the rights, so they decided to alter it slightly.

Is there some verification for this statement, or is it more of an opinion? I've never actually seen Kimba, so I can't judge, but it looks pretty similar to me.
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe most Asians have the smart/creative gene. Just like most Africans have the athletic gene.

I can't think of a more ignorant statement than that... especially the African statement. If they really have a "athletic" gene then I wonder why African countries don't always earn medals in the Olympics.
Quote:
Man from what I have seen… all the Asians in my highschool /college are defiantly more creatively and mathematically smarter than us.

Many Asian families simply value grades and studies more than anything else. You've probably heard the prototypical Asian artist fallout-with-the-parents story. There was also an article in the LA Times about Asian kids complaining about how they're not supported when they play sports.
Or if you want another great viewpoint on Asian Americans, watch Better Luck Tomorrow.
Quote:
all the anime series I have watched with a messed up ending.

I've rarely seen an anime series with a great ending. In fact the first thing I hear when I finish a series is "Did it have a great ending?" because they really tend to suck.
Quote:
That A-bomb we dropped must have added some juice to their brains or something.

I found a more ignorant statement.
Quote:
American movie directors and animators like to make everything into a fairy tail will a happy ending.

I dunno what kind of movies you watch but there are plenty of movies out there that don't have happy endings. Watch Memento, for one.
Quote:
Asians value religion more, respect their families more, are obedient, (my opinion they are very creative) and more humble than Westerners.

I don't see how valuing religion is any important in defining a culture. A lot of Asians I know don't value religion, and some Koreans I knew used to go to church just to check out the girls. You want hardcore family respect? Go to Africa.
Quote:
Other than Japan and India I can't really think of any other Asian country that has a strong film industry.

Hong Kong =P
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Watch Memento

Great movie,can't wait for Batman Begins

Quote:
Hong Kong =P

Got me,forgot about Hong Kong
rainking187

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:43 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Personally, I think they should take another route and make a Kimba movie aimed at US audiences.

It's called the Lion King. Very Happy
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:51 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Someone said it earlier, Disney almost has endless resources, so it would be pretty stupid for Tezuka Productions to go broke doing legal battle with them.

Or they could hire the lawyers that sued the Cigarrette Companies. Twisted Evil
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Quote:
Also which race do you think is superior in the world considering all the worlds race?

Quote:
But most people just think of Asians are (Japanese or Chinese people only.) But I mean everyone attached to the continent Asia.

If you when arguing about Asian directors being more creative you were referring to all Asians then it defeats your point as not very many films come out of Asia. Other than Japan and India I can't really think of any other Asian country that has a strong film industry.

Quote:
I agree completely. The people who disagree I will wager are not familar with Kimba/Leo in the first place anyways. It wasn't just slight influence, it was a complete ripoff job.

It wasn't. I have watched Kimba and although there are obvious comparisons between the characters in the two the storylines are not very similar at all. It would be nice if Disney acknowledged that they were took at least a little influence from Kimba but they aren’t going to so people should just get over it.

Quote:
I believe most Asians have the smart/creative gene. Just like most Africans have the athletic gene.

The majority of Africans aren't great at sports and the majority of Asians aren't incredibly smart or creative just as the majority of Europeans or Americans aren't.

Japan and India being the only strong film company in Asia? Come on dude, you probably don't even watch a lot of Asian movies to even make a statement like that. Hong Kong film outnumber and are usually better produce than Japanese film. I say that Hong Kong movies are very popular and are vastly produce. They even showed Shaolin Soccer in some selected theaters here in America and there's a huge HK Cinema Fanbase here in American, proably bigger than Japan and India. HK star like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat became huge because they were mega-star in the HK film industry.

The korean film industry has expanded tremendously and I believe it might supass Japan in quality. Korean movies like "My Sassy Girl" has top the HK charts before. Thai movie like "Ong Bak" (a thai movie) is doing very well, even breaking the top 10 in Japan as well as HK. Maybe i'm being a little overexcited but I'm an Asian cinema fanatic and most asian film have subtitle now. To me, any film can entertaining if there's a bight mind behind it.
Sam.:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quote
Dear Mrs. Kainzero,
You sound like a stubborn little kid. But that's okay, man. What you say is your opinions and what I say is my opinions so lets leave it at that since I can't talk sense into a brick wall. Also what have I told you about picking out single sentences out of a paragraph. A little disobedient are we? Let me tell you what happens when you single out sentences like that. They make absolutely no sense. They are ment to be read with the Para so that you get a better idea of what I'm trying to get across. Sentences like those can't sand on their own. Have you ever had any kind education in (English lol Anime smile), Psychology, Physiology and Sociology. If not I recommend you at least take the basic Psych and Sociology class, it will change the way you think. You will learn so much interesting stuff in there that you can't even fathom right now. Also u need to maybe relax a bit... ....why don't you go smoke some bud Shocked it will calm you down.. your on edge, u need to quiet down a bit.

Quote:
Sam's says: ...most Africans have the athletic gene.
kainzero says:
I can't think of a more ignorant statement than that... especially the African statement. If If they really have a "athletic" gene then I wonder why African countries don't always earn medals in the Olympics.

Key Terms:
Western Africans - (refering to Blacks in US and Europe)
Original African decents - ( people in Africa)

The fact is that most of the world record holders in the 100-meter dash are of African descents. Western Africans (American/USA/British) do have that gene and so do people from original African countries, but they don't devolop the gene like U.S. Africans. Why don't African countries have all the gold medals and all the fast runners?

For example, if you look at those sprinters of Western African ancestry (US African's), they all got their records because they trained in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, or even in the Caribbean. If you look at the African countries where those sprinters' originally came from the country Africa.. none of those countries have ever produced any world record holders in the sprint events.

Well the answer is so obvious, its right under your nose yet you fail to see it. Its because your American you fail to see it. You take so much for granted its so sad. Let me explain why?

American is one of the richest countries in the world (apart from Great Britain and few other countries). Therefore America can spend lavishly on right athletics training, diet, food, other resources, and proper training equipment. On the otherhand Poorer African countries have bigger things to worry about… like when they are going to gets their next meal or when is the water truck going to come by their area to quench their thirst. Due to the continent of African being an very undernourished country -- with not enough food and water supply (and also being bombarded with severe new diseases which cause more death and chaos in that country apart from AIDS) -- people in African countries aren't as healthy as their counterparts in US or Europe. Or rather i should say African Americans or the African Europeans.

Reason #2: America has all the right training equipment and resources need for people to participate in world-class athletics. It depends where u get your training. Plus America is an over nourished country with abundant food and resources therefore the African race can thrive here and not back home on the African continet where resources are limited.

Now, at some level, when we can even look at human physical variation and body sizes, there are some major differences between body sizes in African human populations in US vs the black people living in Africa. But we won't get into that because that will complicate things even more. But the simple reaons is that US African are more developed and highly nourished. For example "African American" athletics know exactly how to train and what diet to eat to get the best athletic performance. But on the other hand people living in African don't know all about good training methods and don't have all that information or equipment. Trust me I have been to Africa, India, China, and other 3rd world countries I know what I'm talking about.

Reason #3: Scientists have hypothesis right now, plus genealogist and social scientist have also said that there is defiantly an athletic gene, and they believe that future scientist will prove their hypothesis Right. And there's also now some scientific studies which are attempting to look at population-based differences in genes that have to do with various aspects of physiological performance related to athletic ability. Africans defiantly have the athletic gene, buddyboy kainzero. Its only a matter of time before scientists prove it. There is defiantly some special athletic skill held by people of African descent. Most scientis now sort of believe that African Americans are genetically predisposed to being faster runners or better basketball players or for being better cornerbacks in the National Football League. I'm not African or anything, but i know about this because we argued about it one night in college then we looked it up on the internet. And you gota give credit where credit is due. Do a search on it if you don't belive me. All Black peoples most defiantly have the athletic gene in them its only that some of them decide to train there God given gene and some don't. In layman terms, You have to train a gene for it to develop you just can't get it sit there and expect to become the world-class runner. But for black's it defiantly come more naturally to be athletic than for us.

I'm going to head to bed now but I'll tear you apart limb from limb on every ignorant statement you make. You don't know whats really going on. Everyone of my sentences you thought were stupid and ignorant statement i made I will back it up with proof.

Waiting for your reply eagerly Mrs kainzero. ...

Kazuki-san if your reading this I'm sorry I haven't replied back to you bro. We'll have to talk about the "world races" later one. I still have some more to explain to Mrs cainzero
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They make absolutely no sense. They are ment to be read with the Para so that you get a better idea of what I'm trying to get across. Sentences like those can't sand on their own.

No seriously, if you can't write sentences that can stand on their own in a paragraph, then you can't write. Plain and simple. Paragraphs are designed to take a certain topic and prove it with facts. If your facts suck, your paragraph sucks and your overall argument sucks.
Quote:
The fact is that most of the world record holders in the 100-meter dash are of African descents.

Yea, and most of the medal winners in Table Tennis are Chinese, and most of the medal winners in Sharpshooting are Korean, and a majority of quarterbacks in the NFL are white, and all kinds of people win at swimming.
Oh and those Chinese people with no facilities and health problems are usually competitors in swimming, archery, gymnastics, and diving to name some events.

Athleticism is more than just the 100-meter dash.

Quote:
Most scientis now sort of believe that African Americans are genetically predisposed to being faster runners or better basketball players or for being better cornerbacks in the National Football League.

What is this? If African Americans are so good at basketball, we wouldn't have this kind of problem of being embarassed by Italy and nailbiters against Germany. Or a dramatic increase in foreigners drafted.
And is there some magical baseball gene that makes Latinos good at it, that some Japanese managed to pick up too? And what about the international sport of soccer/futbol, where all sorts of nationalities are good?

Besides, your argument against me backs me up more than you. Environment plays a bigger role than genes. That's why Asians are "smarter"; the environment they grow up around is stricter than the average American... ever wonder why a lot of Asian-American children are more rebellious and try to pursue artistic careers in spite of their parents' wish to pursue engineering or medicine?
Environment. NOT genes.

Oh and yes, I did take a class pertaining to this specific topic. Three of them. 14 units total.

And I don't see how any of this backs up your "Japan is a superior culture to the US" argument. All I see are misinformed arguments about Asian stereotypes and genes.

What's next... Japanese food is superior to Mexican food?
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan and India being the only strong film company in Asia? Come on dude, you probably don't even watch a lot of Asian movies to even make a statement like that.

Kain has already picked me up on that one. Like I said earlier I forgot about Hong Kong, sorry about that one. Stupid of me really when I actually like a fair few Hong Kong movies. Also your right there are good films from other Asian countries but I wouldn't say they have a particularly strong film industry. I own Bangkok dangerous and The Eyes which are both from Thailand and are very good. Never the less I don't see a whole host of movies flooding out of Thailand or other countries of its kind. I also own City of God which is a Brazilian movie and is one of the best movies I watched last year but again its not as if there are a lot of films coming out of Brazil (I know Brazil isn't in Asia). Your probably right about film growing in Asia in general, for that matter it seems that there are more and more good movies coming from unexpected countries but these countries don't seem to have established truly strong or stable film industries, not yet anyway.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, obviously theres been a cover-up, but this site points out some of the evidence. I think the most damning is that Simba was white early in development, and that Mathew Broderick was asked by Disney to voice act in a remake of Kimba the White Lion.

Quote:
Fact: During production of The Lion King, Disney's promotional people were talking in terms of "the remake of Kimba The White Lion that we're doing".

Reported Fact (I have not yet verified this): During that same time period, a report in TV Guide stated that Disney was remaking Kimba The White Lion.

Fact: Matthew Broderick stated that he understood he was being hired as a voice actor for a remake of Kimba The White Lion.

Fact: In early production stages, Simba was white.

Fact: Disney went through this "we have the rights--oops, no we don't" scenario on another occasion, with The Muppets.

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

The site also points out more similarities between the two. I will also add that the wiseman monkey and motormouthed bird in both movies are pretty much the exact same characters. Of course the storyline is flopped around in places, but you can tell where it came from. Also I got this from the official Osamu Tezuka site (spoiler warning!):

Quote:
Tezuka Osamu was able for the first time to depict the theme that "All life is equal" through Leo's self-sacrifice. There is an American animated film similar to "Jungle Emperor Leo," with "the circle of life" as its theme. Tezuka Osamu had always made this a basic theme of his works. Moreover, seeing far ahead in the future, his views were expressed in his consistently re-occurring themes such as the equality of all life, that "your life is my life," etc. Tezuka Osamu's message is evident, as it is in "The Phoenix," in Leo's heroic death.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This thread has gone way off topic, and not that I have anything relevant to add to the argument of Kimba vs. The Lion King, but I will address the whole "Asians are smarter" thing.

Being Asian myself, more specifically Lao, I can say that it is an issue of environment and how children in Asian families are raised and not a "smartness gene."

From what I've observed about my parents and other Asian families I've been around, the majority of them tend to raise their children with a great deal of pride in hopes of making a better future for them, hence the tendency for more strict educational and living guidelines or what have you.

But I suppose it would only seem natural for any parent to do this, though I don't know why this occurs moreso often in Asian families (particularly in the case of some Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean classmates I used to know).

I can, however, tell you that math is my absolute worst subject and that I perform much better in language and writing classes instead. Heck, I even had to take summer school to remove my academic suspension, so I wouldn't say that I'm "smart." I also am not very religious at all and would in fact prefer to be atheist, but there goes that respect I have for my parents beliefs. Smile

And as for creativity, I disagree that just Asians can excel in this area. Creativity is an individual characteristic that anyone can possess. It's just a matter of how much exposure these ideas can get for people to acknowledge it (the degree of creativity).

Anime is popularly addressed as being creative because of the exposure we have to it. It's pretty mainstream (to us fans, anyway) and is also easily accessable. However, I'm sure there are millions of novels and stories out there that have been written by... yes, non-Asians, that are just as creative or even more creative and have been in existence much longer before CLAMP ever showed up.

Not to say I don't appreciate what's out there today, but my point is creativity shouldn't be contained to just one group of people. It's a trait that all humans have, and I just want to you to see the bigger picture and hope maybe you can give a little more credit to the rest of the world rather than just crediting eastern and southeastern Asia for all of today's popular ideas. So let's all stop fighting, OK? Wink
tekkaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
We should keep away from the idea that any one culture is superior than others or race for that matter and stick to the original topic. If anyone knows the history of Japan and postwar Japan, one will know about the major influence American popular culture has on the development of Japanese popular culture. It is only recently that Japanese started to influence other popular cultures around the world. Trade and cultural influence are interwine; lets not forget that. As for stale American entertainment market, I think the problem has to do heavy handed management by Disney not acknowledging the influence of Kimba on Lion King.
astra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sam, you should look into the field of eugenics. I'm sure you'd find it very interesting. You're seriously creepy.
Anyway, I've read the various arguements for and against Disney and even watched some of Kimba's OP and parts ofa few episodes. It seems like the plots and characters of The Lion King and Kimba are very similar.
However, the way that the Lion King was carried out in production is entirely different from Kimba. Kimba provided the foundation (in my opinion) for a very wonderful Disney movie. Yes, Kimba probably should've gotten a nod from Disney, but you know how these things go... Its sad but it happened so oh well. I doubt it could happen again given the increased attention anime has received in America.
As for your assertion that Asians are somehow the most creative race in the world, I think you need to step out of your shell and look around. So you think your world has been changed by anime? You feel so enamored of anime that you have come to the conclusion that the Asian creators simply must be superior to the rest? It reminds me of geeky otaku meeting a Japanese person and squealing over his or her descent. They worship these random Japanese people just because of their race.
The styles of entertainment in Asia and America tailor to their respective audiences. You have simply grown bored of the American stuff and moved on to the Asian. However, Asian and American entertainment grow by learning from eachother. You pointed out that many recent movies have roots in Asian action movies and anime. But what about hip hop in Asia? Hip hop has its roots in Jazz and the Blues, arts that came from the African Americans in the United States. Its one example of many of how America has influenced Japanese culture and entertainment.
Can you really argue that simply because Kimba is a Japanese show it beats The Lion King? I'd say that you cannot. For example, upon watching the opening for Kimba, I hear an upbeat rather kiddy song specifically tailored to a Japanese audience. Most Americans would find the song very juvenile. However, If I took you to see The Lion King show on Broadway, you would find more complex rythem and harmony in the music. I'm not saying the American music is superior, I'm saying that they were created with different audiences in mind. The Japanese recently seem to favor heavy beats and quick rythems (or at least as I've observed from some anime)
As for voice acting, can you really argue that your run of the mill pretty boy or girl Japanese voice actor is automatically superior than an American? My favorite actor on Bway, (or at Lincoln Center now in the Frogs, I suppose) is Nathan Lane who was Timon in the Lion King. His voice is distinctive and he's an amazing singer.
You say Japanese pop is better than America's Britney Spears, etc? Thats crazy. They're all pretty people put up on pedestals, whichever race they are. How does Ayumi beat Avril?
Anyway, this rant was way too long but it helped me vent my frustrations at some attitudes of how Japanese stuff is better than American stuff. And I'd like to point out that ANN is guilty of being bitten by the Japan bug as well (Well, obviously I mean aside from anime) Your music reviewer talked about a concert given by a pianist by virtue of the fact that she was Japanese even though she had nothing to do with anime. Yes, a little culture might be good for people like, say *cough* Sam, but it's not fair and well... sort of creepily Japanophiliac to write such things. MMyep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4