• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Acquires RWBY Series, Will Explore Production of New Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Yes, they should. Minus the new actors. Keep all the actors, but the show would benefit greatly from new writers and a new direction.

Then make an original show! why do you need to use RWBY as a base if you want to change everything?
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
At least Rooster can't f*** this series anymore. At least Penny's dead for good now and isn't coming back for round 4. God, the writing became abysmal. I completely gave up on the writing during Cinder's backstory because of the introduction of the dumbest character in all of media: Rhodes. The man had, hands down, the DUMBEST plan I've ever read in any piece of media: spoiler[secretly train a child as while telling her to endure the daily torture her step-mother subjected to, in the hopes of.... OF WHAT, YOU DUMB MOTHERF*****?!!!! YOU'RE A HUNTSMAN, YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT! YOU HAVE AUTHORITY LIKE NO OTHER. Just [expletive] save her yourself, you useless piece of garbage!!!! And if you can't save her yourself, you can 100% get her the fudge out of there. You're basically a superhero, with super-power. CALL OZPIN, for fudge's sake. "James, one of my huntman tells me a child is being tortured in of of your Atlas hotels. Could you look into that for me, please?". Ironwood would have done it., they were still friends. BOOM, 85% of the problems in RWBY, solved.]. So yeah... almost everything bad happened because of [expletive] Rhodes.

The guy was 'grooming' Cinder and just waiting for her to get old enough for his tastes.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
12 years+ is a long time except for boomers who are like 50 year olds+

like the other user said, 2012 was a different time than 2024. it would be like comparing 2012 to 2000, y'all wilding

12 years is nothing and 50 years old is Gen X the youngest boomers turn 60 this year.

Stupid little kids and there 'everyone older than me is a boomer' nonsense.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
and about korra, the episode that featured the lesbian relationship is "Partners" (Season 3, Episode 4). It aired on August 15, 2014. not 2012, and it was highly controversial within the avatar fandom to the point that bryan Konietzko admitted it was only done to appeal for shippers.

I'll be honest and say I don't remember what you're specifically referring to here. But then season 3 was when the show was jettisoned off to streaming (back when that was a bad thing) and pulled from Nickelodeon due to low ratings. I wasn't the biggest fan of the show so I don't think I bothered after that. All I remember was the finale where Korra and Asami hold hands after spending the show fighting over Mako from what I watched so that would make them bisexual at best.

As long as we're talking about Avatar that franchise had to change a lot of stuff for the modern live-action show on Netflix. And they already said they're not bringing back the original VAs because they were all white and not-Asian in the upcoming animated project based on the original series. Changes in a modern remake can mean a lot of things and not just lesbians. But I doubt many people are going to complain about cute yuri in a show to begin with so it's an odd topic to focus on.

Ushio wrote:
What would be the point of that? It would alienate fans of the original who want a conclusion and who else cares about the franchise?

It reminds me when Disney bought out Marvel and they axed a bunch of current shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man so they could make new versions to be fully in control of them and for more brand synergy. Perhaps it would be for a reason like that. They wouldn't want Rooster Teeth's RWBY to be a thing, but Viz's RWBY especially going into a new era.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Aeden wrote:

I'm glad at least one person more or less understood what I was trying to say.

It seems universally agreed that RWBY went off the rails shortly after losing the series creator. Viz can either pick up where Rooster Teeth left off and try to steer the series back to Monty's vision, or abandon it entirely with a reboot.

Either way there's no guarantee it'll be what fans truly want, but after watching countless reboots go down in flames it feels safe to say that would be the least satisfying outcome.

Monty's vision was 'transforming weapons are cool'.

Kerry Shawcross and Miles Luna were the writers from the very beginning they were Monty's friends and they haven't deviated outside of not being as good at fight choreography (though they have gotten a lot better but season 4 and 5 were rough).

I have no idea why some here want a reboot and it's a terrible idea anyway since it will probably be cancelled before even getting to the equivalent of season 4 because that's just the world now.
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
I completely gave up on the writing during Cinder's backstory because of the introduction of the dumbest character in all of media: Rhodes. The man had, hands down, the DUMBEST plan I've ever read in any piece of media: spoiler[secretly train a child as while telling her to endure the daily torture her step-mother subjected to, in the hopes of.... OF WHAT, YOU DUMB MOTHERF*****?!!!! YOU'RE A HUNTSMAN, YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT! YOU HAVE AUTHORITY LIKE NO OTHER. Just [expletive] save her yourself, you useless piece of garbage!!!! And if you can't save her yourself, you can 100% get her the fudge out of there. You're basically a superhero, with super-power. CALL OZPIN, for fudge's sake. "James, one of my huntman tells me a child is being tortured in of of your Atlas hotels. Could you look into that for me, please?". Ironwood would have done it., they were still friends. BOOM, 85% of the problems in RWBY, solved.]. So yeah... almost everything bad happened because of [expletive] Rhodes.

I think the difference between you and me is I've seen depictions of character archetypes like Rhodes before with more detailed exploration of their thoughts and motivations. So I was drawing on those archetypes to fill in the blanks without a second thought.

What I mean to say was I wasn't overthinking it but more a case that I recognized his character type and for me his actions made sense. I could sort of fill in the blanks by drawing on those archetypes.

Here's how I perceived his character:

Simply put Rhodes was not a good guy. He was likely a criminal or at the very least had frequent business dealing with shady people. As such I suspect he preferred not to interact with more clean-cut characters like Ozpin and Ironwood in case they turned an eye towards his activities and he got into trouble. I also suspect Rhodes had a rough background/childhood himself and was of the opinion that it's just something you have to endure. In some ways that is reminiscient of Guts attitude towards Jill in the Lost Children arc from Berserk.

Basically Rhodes felt sympathy for Cinders but was too selfish to do what was neccessary to rescue her from her situation. He was looking out for himself first and Cinders second. He showed her as much generosity as his selfishness would allow.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd 100% reboot if only because I've always kind of thought RWBY has some cool ideas behind it but suffers a lot from really stumbling amateur execution. Seeing the same general idea approached with a clean slate would probably make for a significantly stronger show.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

He wasn't just that. RWBY came about because Monty had a visual style he wanted to try and he did have ideas for the character's designs. No he wasn't a character designer but he did had an idea of what the characters would look like and sent "poorly drawn pictures of them" to a talented illustrator and they finalized them. Basically no different to how somebody commission an artist to draw their characters.

But my point is that Monty did more then just think "Transforming weapons are cool". He did have a vision and he relied on his team like Miles, Kerry, and the others to help make it come true.

Too bad the company that worked on it was Rooster Teeth.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
It's not like it's a particularly expensive show to make either.

Allegedly it was, and that was a big part of the problem.
The_Outsider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
Ushio wrote:
It's not like it's a particularly expensive show to make either.

Allegedly it was, and that was a big part of the problem.

25,000 to 35,000 dollars per minute of animation, according to Dunkelman herself.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of money just to animate one minute worth of animation. I don't know much about animation but is that truly a bad thing?
funkfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

Kerry Shawcross and Miles Luna were the writers from the very beginning they were Monty's friends and they haven't deviated outside of not being as good at fight choreography (though they have gotten a lot better but season 4 and 5 were rough).

Most people's issue with the series post Monty's death has been the writing rather than the animation. The animation was always laughable if we're being honest with the character designs and fighting choreography being the saving grace for many people.

A series is more than 1 person, of course. But it seems fair to point out if something takes a noticeable drop in quality after a creator stops working on a project for whatever reason. It's also true a creator alone can't hold up a product. There's plenty of cartoons one can bring up where the creator goes on to do a sequel without the same writing staff or help they had and it ends up not as great. Since Avatar was mentioned people often attribute a lot of the original Avatar series positive qualities to Aaron Ehasz rather than Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Ehasz would not return for The Legend of Korra or any other future Avatar project and go on to do his own thing.

Regardless of whoever on a team had how much input at the end of the day, a show is the sum of it's parts and even if one person on a team leaves it can affect things. Plenty of RWBY fans noticed a sharp decline after the third volume and have been quite vocal about it much to the defense of some people in this thread. Creative team shake ups are generally not good whenever they happen as people have voiced concerns over about this acquisition.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
Any way you slice it, RWBY is a very, very messy production, started as an amateur CG rendering, with conflicting visions, stories, and art styles. I see no reason why Viz and their partners shouldn’t start from scratch and eliminating the worse pieces of the writing, while finishing the original story in a format like a comic.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Any way you slice it, RWBY is a very, very messy production, started as an amateur CG rendering, with conflicting visions, stories, and art styles. I see no reason why Viz and their partners shouldn’t start from scratch and eliminating the worse pieces of the writing, while finishing the original story in a format like a comic.

Even as somebody who doesn't like RWBY, this seems like the worst way you could go about it from a business perspective.

Whatever its faults, RWBY has a core fanbase that has stuck with it for over a decade, through the original creator's passing, through some extended production hiatuses, and through the dissolution of Rooster Teeth. And everything I've seen from those fans tells me they want an actual final season to conclude all the lingering plot and character arcs. Relegating something like that to comics in favor of a total reboot seems like the best way to completely piss off that fanbase and have them reject the project outright.

Meanwhile, I don't think you'd get much of a new audience with a reboot. RWBY's basic premise and aesthetic are honestly pretty generic; self-admittedly an amalgam of the creators' favorite concepts from anime and video games. It originally got attention because in 2013 it was a much more novel concept with backing from a beloved web-video company and a director who was famous for indie-animation. It also hit right as the market for anime and anime-adjacent media was hitting a boom. None of that is true anymore in 2024, and even with a more polished production, I doubt there would be much interest in RWBY 2.0 or whatever.
pushknife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:43 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Relegating something like that to comics in favor of a total reboot seems like the best way to completely piss off that fanbase and have them reject the project outright.

Sadly it's extremely common for something that was cancelled to just get a comic continuation. Justice League Unlimited got one recently. I remember Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gargoyles had new "seasons" in comic format too. Comics are just a lot cheaper to do than new shows. It's always nice when a movie adaption happens like with Hey Arnold got to conclude the series but those are rare and more risky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4