• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Magic Knight Rayearth Manga Gets New Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
Tentatively excited about this. I'm tempering my expectations until they announce the staff or at least a studio. Hard not to after what happened with Tokyo Babylon.

As for many others here, Magic Knight Rayearth is an important series to me. I was introduced to it through the Sega Saturn game, and from there went on to read the manga and watch the original anime. It was a formative series for me. My keyring has had Fuu's greatsword dangling from it for years, and is one of the few outward signs of my weebdom. Razz

Fingers crossed this turns out well. Maybe those Figmas I missed out on will finally be rereleased, or we'll get scales and not just more Rune God figures and model kits.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:37 am Reply with quote
I think we need a Record of Lodoss war remake now!
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:44 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
No doubt about it, we are now living in the classic 80s revival era.

Almost anything that was remotely a hit back in this decade will probably see more new projects be it remakes sequels or revivals.

90's not 80's have some mercy on us older fans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:50 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Those top 2 are anime original and YYH basically had a full adaptation. I'd hope for something that never got to complete the manga storyline.
Remakes are never made with the reason "original anime wasn't a complete adaptation".
Thundercracker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:51 am Reply with quote
They need to remake Zillion.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:37 am Reply with quote
A decade from now, Aniplex might remake Sword Art Online.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:48 am Reply with quote
I am very much in favor of a third Magic Knight Rayearth series and I swear I'll watch the OVA series eventually... even if I forgot it existed once again until I wrote "third adaptation".

What I'd like next for a new adaptation: The Slayers.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
I was going through my Tsubasa DVDs the past few weeks, and with how dated it felt I had this feeling that CLAMP's works are due for a remake. Makes sense for it to be Rayearth because AFAIK it was their first manga to be made into a TV anime.

Anyway, this has a claim to many of my "anime firsts". My first shojo, first completed anime, first anime crush (Clef lol). It's the inspiration to my first fan art and fics. Seeing my "works" many years later, I realized 7-year-old me was just copying the character designs and plot of Rayearth. But I guess most important of all, it's the common denominator to many a friendship I treasured. Over the years I realized it's not perfect, and the 2nd season is always a pain to get through, but no matter how this remake turns out, it will forever be special for me.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:41 am Reply with quote
My voice cast prediction
--------------------------------

Hikaru: Maki Kawase
Umi: Satomi Hongō (star-making role)
Fuu: Sayumi Suzushiro
Mokona: Fairouz Ai
Princess Emeraude: Reina Ueda
Zagato: Yūichirō Umehara

What do you think?
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
Great news to start out my morning! I'm a late comer to the series as I watched it on a whim last year to end up falling completely in love with it! Plan on collecting and reading the manga to compare the differences from the anime.

Despite falling in love with it, the anime had some questionable choices when it came to the story's second half so I hope they don't go down that route as there was some parts that really dragged out that made it a slog to watch at times.

Last edited by sakuramusicstar on Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
The original 3 Vol series was fully adapted in an expanded 90s style but the 3 Vol sequel´s adaptation early on so 75% of the manga made it into the anime at best. As is tradition with Clamp. I don´t care about the IP but this revival makes sense and thumbs up for showing footage of the original show. A 24 ep show could easily get the whole manga in with room for expansion. The OVAs didn´t make anyone happy so there is no way that another original plot will be attempted.

Keep that Tokyo Babylon "adaptation" deep in the grave btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
merr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The original 3 Vol series was fully adapted in an expanded 90s style but the 3 Vol sequel´s adaptation early on so 75% of the manga made it into the anime at best. As is tradition with Clamp. I don´t care about the IP but this revival makes sense and thumbs up for showing footage of the original show. A 24 ep show could easily get the whole manga in with room for expansion. The OVAs didn´t make anyone happy so there is no way that another original plot will be attempted.

Nanase Ohkawa (from CLAMP) oversaw the scripts for the anime and even wrote a few episodes, so it’s not the usual situation of the show outrunning the manga. The changes between the two versions feel much more deliberate. As with Cardcaptor Sakura, it’s hard to say which is the definitive version of the story.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
Man.... Clamp would rather give Rayearth another anime before adapting Tokyo Babylon properly.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
I am not much on remakes, would rather see continuations/sequels.

Too many Spider-Man remakes, to tell the origin story all over again for each new director, instead of just continuing his story with new villains. There are so many villains he has fought in the comics.

If they are going to do a remake of Magic Knight Rayearth, then they better do a bang-up job of it, instead of a cash cow remake. Yeah, no Crystal style remake of Magic Knight Rayearth either.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

I'd love to see a 3x3 Eyes complete adaptation.

This first few volumes only got animated. I would love to see the rest get the anime treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5