• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2021 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the Backflip!! disappoinment train too. Episode two stays a solid episode, and shows that the energy and animation are not only the perks of being the first episode. Would love to see reviewers talking about the animated details. But yeah, to a degree I did expect it to be undervoted, which is a shame since a weekly review would help make it more known.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Most of the titles I voted for got in, so that's nice to see.
I also voted for both slime shows, but those aren't the kind of shows that really need reviews, so not too disappointed with that.
I would have liked to have seen Seven Knights, Cestvs, Blue Reflection and Battle Athletes though. Maybe Osamake too if all those were taken lol
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I don’t know if it’s because Covid messed with the typical airing schedule and made this year look particularly filled to bursting by comparison or what, but I felt so spoiled for choice that I already knew that a lot of what I was personally hoping for probably wasn’t going to make the cut, even with all the new voices added to the reviewers pile. That said, have we seen work from Callum before? I didn’t see their name on the Preview Guide, but they got nominated for 86; I was kinda hoping to see what their writing style was like.

You might know him better as CanipaShow or The Canipa Effect. He also wrote this rather popular piece for us about Ex-Arm.

http://4NN.cx/.166117

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCanipaEffect
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I don’t know if it’s because Covid messed with the typical airing schedule and made this year look particularly filled to bursting by comparison or what, but I felt so spoiled for choice that I already knew that a lot of what I was personally hoping for probably wasn’t going to make the cut, even with all the new voices added to the reviewers pile. That said, have we seen work from Callum before? I didn’t see their name on the Preview Guide, but they got nominated for 86; I was kinda hoping to see what their writing style was like.

You might know him better as CanipaShow or The Canipa Effect. He also wrote this rather popular piece for us about Ex-Arm.

Any chance of animation break downs from them on ANN?
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

Any chance of animation break downs from them on ANN?

Expect a lot of animation coverage in the 86 reviews!
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This is one of the highest numbers of reviewed titles ANN has ever had for a season, with some titles making it in that definitely wouldn't have made the cut in 2019 or early 2020. Everything that I was interested in seeing reviewed that I thought had any chance of making it did make it. (I was not expecting Cestvs to make it, even though I voted for it.)

Yeah, I remember that a lot of shows that would have gotten reviews before, didn’t make the cut in 2019. Even Given didn’t initially get daily streaming reviews. I’m still salty about YU-NO being dropped.

I’m surprised Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun’s second season is getting reviews after its first season didn’t. Is this the first time this has happened? Also, it seems Back Arrow is more popular than I thought.

Last edited by DanMatcha on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder why ANN didn't review Thunderbolt Fantasy 3 in the Preview Guide. Crunchyroll says episode 1 was available on April 3 for premium users and on April 10 for free users. To Your Eternity was available for premium users on April 12 and was in the Preview Guide. Could it be because it uses puppetry instead of animation? I'm guessing Thunderbolt Fantasy 3 would have gotten more votes if it was in the Preview Guide.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
I wonder why ANN didn't review Thunderbolt Fantasy 3 in the Preview Guide. Crunchyroll says episode 1 was available on April 3 for premium users and on April 10 for free users. To Your Eternity was available for premium users on April 12 and was in the Preview Guide. Could it be because it uses puppetry instead of animation? I'm guessing Thunderbolt Fantasy 3 would have gotten more votes if it was in the Preview Guide.

This came up a couple of times in the Preview Guide thread. It wasn't in the PG simply because none of the PG reviewers were up-to-speed on the series. That typically happens to at least one or two sequels every season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
You might know him better as CanipaShow or The Canipa Effect. He also wrote this rather popular piece for us about Ex-Arm.http://4NN.cx/.166117

Expect a lot of animation coverage in the 86 reviews!
Welcome! I have always enjoyed your channel and insights so I think your work will be a great benefit for ANN.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Malsang wrote:
Hi yes I'm the guy who voted for the inclusion of Joran. I (tentatively) don't agree with the sentiment that it's a bad show. It's got a satisfying visual flair, and while most of the characters are unlikable, amoral, self-centered killers, the fact that we're only three episodes in and have already had multiple betrayals and double-crossings means that it won't be boring, at the very least

Me too! I don't know where the hate comes from. The animation is OK, the world-building is interesting, the characters have more shadows than lights, true, but that's interesting too, at least they have SOME personality, even if a dark one. Of course it can derail later, but quoting a great man
"This is no Gibiate boy! No Gibiate"
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Malsang wrote:
Hi yes I'm the guy who voted for the inclusion of Joran. I (tentatively) don't agree with the sentiment that it's a bad show. It's got a satisfying visual flair, and while most of the characters are unlikable, amoral, self-centered killers, the fact that we're only three episodes in and have already had multiple betrayals and double-crossings means that it won't be boring, at the very least

Me too! I don't know where the hate comes from. The animation is OK, the world-building is interesting, the characters have more shadows than lights, true, but that's interesting too, at least they have SOME personality, even if a dark one. Of course it can derail later, but quoting a great man
"This is no Gibiate boy! No Gibiate"

I don't hate Joran, but I think characters and some of the twists are cliched/predictable, or just not as interesting as I thought when watching preview.. It's still a good weekly fun, and keeps me guessing "what happens next", so I voted for it.

Everything on my list except for Thunderbolt Fantasy got on the list. I didn't watch Backflip though, seems another common regret, but all of the "must watch" titles are on list, as well as several in "promising" category. This will be busy season!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
After two episodes, I see Backflip as a wannabe Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteriru ("Run with the Wind"). They even live in a dorm! I think Kaze is one of the best sports shows I've watched since Cross Game. Backflip? Not so much.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
I voted exclusively for Thunderbolt Fantasy S3 because I knew it would lack a lot of the love it deserves but alas it was not enough. Shame it didn't appear in the preview guide either. Well, the fact that it exists is celebration enough and I will continue championing it as Gen Urobutchi's magnum opus.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I just watched ep 3 of Higehiro, and it was the best "adult" ep about real people I've seen in many years. People actually talked to each other. Not like a sterotypical dumb people romance show at all.

Minor content warning It opens with a flashback that's at least an R rated sex scene. And those are the most "dead fish" eyes I've seen on anybody in a long time.

And our main female character seems to have changed her name at least once.

Anyway, a serious relief, because I was afraid the show was headed towards tacky land comedy. It is not that at all. Can't wait for the reviews to start.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
Huh, I could've sworn the survey said "check back Monday for the results." Looks like the results were out after just one day. Since I rarely go to the front page, I didn't notice until I went looking for it.

Disappointed to see no Thunderpuppets. Maybe Gabriella could be talked into guest reviews!

As for Boruto, I'm still occasionally posting in the old review thread, for anyone who'd like to join me. I think a reviewer would do fine just jumping in at the start of this arc, and whatever gaps in their knowledge that might result in would be forgiven. Smile

On the positive side, I'm delighted that Iruma-kun and Shamisens made it through, and all the others I wanted but wasn't worried about.

dm wrote:
(I am grateful to the forumite who referred to it as "Shimbo's Himbos")

That would be me, though I used the Encyclopedia spelling of "Simbo." Anyway, I myself was more pleased by the for-the-taking gift of Bun'Ō Mars Red. ;D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4