• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Creator: Turned Down New Anime Plans Because Original Cast, Music Could Not Be Use

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kladen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This is way too stupid, gathering the old cast back and the original OST is very hard, especially for a remake, I don't think any remake did, and if they exist they're far and between.
He could've made so much money... Shaman King could've had a massive popularity rebirth... Takei has fosaken Shaman King and should have not a damn say on his own series after this shit, let Shueisha handle it, at least they know how to conduct business properly.
What the fudge?!!!
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn. If Nobuhiro Watsuki ever did the same thing over a possible Kenshin reboot, I'd be flipping tables Shocked
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess to the creator those voices ARE his characters. Maybe they could've just brought back the VA for the main character like Sailor Moon Crystal.

Loved Shaman King growing up.

Now where's that Fruits Basket remake?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Anpanmon wrote:
Your point may valid. But, Takei already fond with the original cast. He is afraid that the studio will hire a VA who is popular but the VA's voice didn't suitable to the character.

Yeah. Knowing them, they'd probably cast Yuuki Kaji as Yoh, Aoi Yuki as Anna, and Mamoru Miyano as Ren. The only voice I think should be changed is Hao. While Yoh's voice sounded natural, despite being voiced by a female, Hao sounded too feminine.
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yeah. Knowing them, they'd probably cast Yuuki Kaji as Yoh, Aoi Yuki as Anna, and Mamoru Miyano as Ren. The only voice I think should be changed is Hao. While Yoh's voice sounded natural, despite being voiced by a female, Hao sounded too feminine.

If we follow current trend, they possibly casts Ayumu Murase as Yoh, Ai Kayano as Anna, Yuuki Kaji as Ren, Natsuki Hanae as Horohoro and Daiki Yamashita as Manta. Yeah, Hao is need to change his VA.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Anpanmon wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

If we follow current trent, they possibly casts Ayumu Murase as Yoh, Ai Kayano as Anna, Yuuki Kaji as Ren, Natsuki Hanae as Horohoro and Daiki Yamashita as Manta. Yeah, Hao is need to change his VA.

Hao's voice was excellent in my opinion, the fact that he sounds androgynous is part of his design, hell, there's a recurring joke of "Princess Hao". Also, he sounds deliciously evil, Takayama's closer role would be Envy, which I think fits Hao perfectly.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
People don't like it if a certain character's voice is recast, especially if they associate the seiyuu or voice actor for the English dub with the character.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Gee thanks for depriving of us a Shaman King reboot for a ridiculous reason Hiroyuki Takei.
Well, I don't think that reassembling the original voice cast for the new anime was ridiculous reason. Well, producers can think that it can cost a real chunk of money, because some actors from the original cast become top-class, but it still the right reasoning from him.

Exactly. As much as a new Shaman King anime would make my damn year (and believe me, it would) I can respect Takei's desire to have the original score and cast return for any rebooted project.

Just remember how happy fans were when the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie announced it was reuniting the original TV show's cast, or how big a deal it was that most of the Digimon dub cast could come back for the tri films.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Good on him, wish more authors could quality control these companies who make trash adaptations of their work. I still think a Shaman King Remake that follows the manga is highly possible in the future now that this is public knowledge.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Good on him, wish more authors could quality control these companies who make trash adaptations of their work. I still think a Shaman King Remake that follows the manga is highly possible in the future now that this is public knowledge.

This.
The guy must have some huge balls. Authors are weak and when they hear anime adaptation they get trample on. D.Grayman got a long anticipated sequel and for this reason was shit compared with the prequel.
If all the authors were like this we wouldn't have Naruto filler or so many bad adaptations.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Gee thanks for depriving of us a Shaman King reboot for a ridiculous reason Hiroyuki Takei.
Well, I don't think that reassembling the original voice cast for the new anime was ridiculous reason. Well, producers can think that it can cost a real chunk of money, because some actors from the original cast become top-class, but it still the right reasoning from him.

true, but the director's reasoning dont make sense. considering how long it was, its possible that the original cast have already retired for voice acting, so he had to have thought of that consideration. as for using the original song, its possible that the music companies owning them wants a crazy amount of money to use them again. there needs to have a give and take if he wants this reboot to happen since unfortunately the horror that is 4kids have pretty much killed any chance of the original series getting rescued and given a proper dub version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
CCTakato wrote:

there needs to have a give and take if he wants this reboot to happen since unfortunately the horror that is 4kids have pretty much killed any chance of the original series getting rescued and given a proper dub version.

He asks for two things, they don't even give him one, the ones not respecting the give or take is the production committee for sure, as always.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

Now where's that Fruits Basket remake?
Equally stuck in "highly-demanding manga author hell," I believe.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Just remember how happy fans were when the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie announced it was reuniting the original TV show's cast, or how big a deal it was that most of the Digimon dub cast could come back for the tri films.

That was nostalgia, not quality or respect for the franchise. Those shows had terribly acted dubs.
Shiritori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ugh.. Created an account just to say that shaman king was my favorite childhood anime and after stumbling upon the manga last year, I've been DYING for a remake.. And now this. Still, I must admit that Takei's vision for his characters' voices were pretty spot on. I guess I'm the minority here in that I don't think Hao sounded too feminine at all, it fit him perfectly, he sounded gentle yet mysterious at the same time, as he should. Actually all the characters fit their voices really well, and Ren's and Anna's were beyond perfect. Ren's especially, I find it hard to imagine him in a different voice. The OSTs are also some of my most favorite in anime.

I still Want a remake though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4