• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero 1 - 6 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Didn't see people whining about the opposite when Occult Academy came out. Talk about double standards. People who bitch about sexism are filled with it.

Occult Academy was not exactly a well-received show in itself.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Occult Academy was not exactly a well-received show in itself.

You clearly missed the preview guides here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger wrote two reviews of it; he wasn't all that impressed by it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

So its okay to watch a show with "preschoolers", excuse me moe characters killing each other in shows like Madoka or fantasizing about each other in shows like Yuri Yuri. Thats okay, and not offensive. But clearly a show where a man is liked by several female characters is misogynistic and other such nonsensical adjectives.

Imagine if they ever make a Twilight anime! Laughing
(IIRC, there's already a manga.)
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
Rank=Hagure-1st, Campione-2nd, Dakara-100th. All still suck but are ok for ecchi material. I'm ok with Akatsuki, at least he isn't another generic I want to but afraid to look at nude girls male MC. Hate that they keep trying to keep the loli's clothes on, Akatsuki will probably screw up his alpha status by only wanting to be with Miu. We need another Seikon/Manyuu minus wimpy males.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
We need another Seikon/Manyuu minus wimpy males.

Seikon didn't have any wimpy males. In fact, Sasha was probably just as BOSS as Akatsuki, only a little younger.

Manyuu had males?
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote two reviews of it; he wasn't all that impressed by it.
Theron gave it a favorable review, however.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
@Princess_Irene I'm sorry if I was a little rude in my earlier post, I just get frustrated constantly seeing these (albeit trashy) fan service shows reviewed poorly for their abundance of fan service. I appreciate what you and every other reviewer does here on this site and I am glad you took the time to write about the show. Who knows, it might have been better if you were able to watch it on AT-X, because from your descriptions that censoring sounds just terrible.

That's okay, Drale, but thank you. The censorship is pretty bad - and I've never quite understood why nipples are so taboo - I guess the only good thing I can say about it is that it at least isn't just blinding white bars of light.

To be perfectly honest, it isn't just the fanservice of this show that brought it down. I don't mind fanservice unless it interferes with the plot, really, and I wanted to like this show for its more intelligent lead and interesting premise. But it just tread such abusive, predatory territory that I felt it detracted from the potential story, which wasn't developing fast enough.

Win some, lose some, right?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
kanechin wrote:
We need another Seikon/Manyuu minus wimpy males.

Seikon didn't have any wimpy males. In fact, Sasha was probably just as BOSS as Akatsuki, only a little younger.

Manyuu had males?

Yeah, the perverted lord and some unimportant side roles.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I can see why people don't like the show, but it's not real so I am not taking issues with this for the same reason I didn't take issue with Heaven's Lost Property, which was fairly similar in regards to some of the scenes many here had a problem with.

This certainly hinders one's ability to take the show at all seriously, but I don't think this show is intended for that.

I think the character designs aren't unattractive personally, although they aren't the best either.

I agree with the article writer that the premise seemed promising, it is even annoying to me that they aren't doing more with it. I wish more shows managed to combine this level of fanservice with better plot and/or better characters. Sadly, this is true much less often than I would prefer, but that's probably because it's not required for it to sell.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
To be perfectly honest, it isn't just the fanservice of this show that brought it down. I don't mind fanservice unless it interferes with the plot, really, and I wanted to like this show for its more intelligent lead and interesting premise. But it just tread such abusive, predatory territory that I felt it detracted from the potential story, which wasn't developing fast enough.

I agree. The problem with this show isn't that it contains fanservice, it's that the fanservice consists of humiliating and abusing the female characters. Compare that to something like Asobi ni Ikuyo (which I enjoyed), and you'll see what I'm talking about. Nobody is being hurt by that fanservice.
frubam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy this series. For ONCE, Akatsuki(the main guy) is not just some loser pervert who can't even look at a girl. He's not even a pervert(at least not any more than guys his age =0p), since he doesn't go out of his way to "sneak a peek". And he's a badass that can protect his women, should they need it. Much better than Dakara H, where, ONCE AGAIN, the guy, for NO reason falls for another tsundere girl he just met and is willing to risk his life for, DESPITE every other girl being just as or more attractive and nicer than the tsundere girl, not to mention the main guy having shounen plot power in every episode during the battle when said tsundere girl is about to get beaten. It's unenjoyably cliche(imo), yet it got a favorable B rating here. Go figure =0\.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
LOVE this show! Way to many anime have pansy/cry baby lead male characters. Real guys want bad ass/cocky lead male characters, like what it is with this show. Watching ichigo and naruto cry every episode makes those shows pathetic. Luffy is just slap happy stupid, so one piece can go either way. Toriko is a good lead male character, and Allen Walker should die lol.
manhiem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
He's not even a pervert(at least not any more than guys his age =0p), since he doesn't go out of his way to "sneak a peek".
So, I guess he just happened to pass by her shower and her dressing room while he was out practicing his wall walking? Or is it that you think that walking into a woman's shower or dressing room isn't "going out of his way"?

Quote:
Much better than Dakara H, where, ONCE AGAIN, the guy, for NO reason falls for another tsundere girl he just met...
Perhaps you missed the first episode, where she told him that he had three months to live unless he helped her. I've always thought that survival was a pretty powerful motivator.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
drale wrote:
I'm not trying to be a chauvinist here or anything, but why does ANN have a woman doing a review for a show so obviously aimed at male audiences?

You've failed in that department.

Well, streaming reviews are from "whoever watches it" rather than from assignments, if I understand what I've read before from ANN staff. That said, it is a bit like reading a vegetarian's review of a steakhouse.

Or male politicians on abortion laws. Twisted Evil

Haha. I see what you did there. Bravo.

Seriously, Zac and all the other male ANN staffers have reviewed tons of "male-oriented" anime in the past and, if they're garbage, the guys review 'em as such. I can't imagine they'd be unprofessionally biased about something; they've all been doing this for so long. And besides, who says women can't enjoy quality harem/fanservice/male-oriented anime?

I remember being less than thrilled by this one's promos, so I'm not surprised it was lackluster so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5