• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Removed from Canada's YTV Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuckian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:

And it's also that as I said, the shows a mostly talkitive, actionless thriller, making it difficult to market to the normal younger auidence with ADD that watches more than the anime block. FMA, GitS, Gundam and Bleach can at least be passed off as action shows.

YTV aired .Hack//SIGN in Bionix, that show can put anyone to sleep because of it's talkative-ness, it also contains little action, and YTV aired in with no Problems, except the OVAs seemed to be stretched to fullscreen. So, yes Death Note doesn't seem like it was pulled because someone deemed it was boring. And while this show doesn't contain any murders(and thus stupid to compare), Pinky and The Brain, features the main characters who are bent on World Domination, which is clearly not a good thing. So yes, I doubt YTV is pulling Death Note because of that.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:
GitS is a different context in itself. It's not like the guy ripping skin off was portrayed as being in the right to do so. The DN manga seemed to portray a somewhat sympathetic view of Light's actions, even when killing people that were trying to catch him, while all L's side could come up with to justify stopping him was the idea that murder even of bad people is wrong.

This is anime, not Aileen: The Life and Death of a Serial Killer. If the show were as truly sympathetic towards Light's actions as you say it is, which it definately wasn't (certainly no more than "Jungle Cruise", which dealt with the cause-and-effect of criminal behaviour), it probably wouldn't have aired on Japanese televison at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1_swt_xtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
this all BS... it is sooo not fair at all... first they put it on and now they took it off... my god.... Mad it is soo NOT funny... make up your mind, put it on or dont bother with it... i have been waiting for this show to be on YTV... dam it...
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Ragebot wrote:
Redd the Sock wrote:
GitS is a different context in itself. It's not like the guy ripping skin off was portrayed as being in the right to do so. The DN manga seemed to portray a somewhat sympathetic view of Light's actions, even when killing people that were trying to catch him, while all L's side could come up with to justify stopping him was the idea that murder even of bad people is wrong.

This is anime, not Aileen: The Life and Death of a Serial Killer. If the show were as truly sympathetic towards Light's actions as you say it is, which it definately wasn't (certainly no more than "Jungle Cruise", which dealt with the cause-and-effect of criminal behaviour), it probably wouldn't have aired on Japanese televison at all.

From beginning of manga to end it was stated repeatedly how crime was coming down, how crime went back up when the killings stopped, how people might put on a good face really supported Kira's actions, and how other behaved for fear of being struck down dead. But even at the end, all Near could say was, "you're just a murderer". Sympathetic might not be the right word, but if this had been debate class, Light would have won.

Look, to end this, I'm not saying I'm right, and in fact hope I'm wrong. I'm just saying that this is a show that could easially bring in more controversy than ratings, and as such, the idea that some executive is blocking its airing is a possibility, and until I hear otherwise, I'm not ruling it out as a possibility. I lost my faith in network execs to make start decisions many years ago. I'll be buying the DVDs anyway so I can't say I care too much.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
I really don't think that the view of Light is really that sympathetic. Sure, he's not pure evil, but I think that there is enough emphasis that what he is doing is wrong to make it a very dark shade of grey. Granted, there will always be some people who think that he was right in what he did, but they do seem to be the minority, from what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3