• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Manga: Reactions of Those You Know

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
My parents are okay with my collection, and my brother (8) regularly comes into my room to borrow stuff. He knows which manga he's not allowed to read (the stuff with lots of violence or nudity or whatever I'd get yelled at for), so that's all okay. Sometimes if my mom finds me reading Hellsing or Saiyuki or something really violent, she'll sit me down and ask why I find it entertaining, but I've bought it all with my own money so she doesn't bother me about having it in the first place.

My friends are all proud otaku as well, so when they see my manga they just say "That's all?" My collection is punyyyy....Less than half a shelf, including my DVDs :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
My parents are okay with my collection, and my brother (8) regularly comes into my room to borrow stuff. He knows which manga he's not allowed to read (the stuff with lots of violence or nudity or whatever I'd get yelled at for), so that's all okay. Sometimes if my mom finds me reading Hellsing or Saiyuki or something really violent, she'll sit me down and ask why I find it entertaining, but I've bought it all with my own money so she doesn't bother me about having it in the first place.

My friends are all proud otaku as well, so when they see my manga they just say "That's all?" My collection is punyyyy....Less than half a shelf, including my DVDs :p

She'll ask you why you find Hellsing entertaining? Tell her "'Cause it's good." And what kind of manga does your brother like? Yu-Gi-Oh!? Naruto? I don't know what your mom would think of this but if the little guy like mystery stuff, show him Case Closed. Me and one of my fellow otaku buddies were watching the movie in his basement when his brother (10) was down there. And it turns out he really likes Case Closed now after seeing that. Same with his big brother.

And you gave me an idea with your mention of Hellsing. When I go to my grandmother's for Christmas Eve(If I have to), I should bring nothing but my Hellsing collection. My Hellsing books, my Hellsing DVDs and then, when no one's looking(Which is a 1-1million chance of that happening), pop in Hellsing and have my little cousins watch it and while if they're like getting weirded out by stuff like
spoiler[Alucard shooting Sera then biting into her neck afterwards. Or that young vampire couple making out while covered in blood], just sit there and laugh. Let me tell you, I'm usually a pretty nice guy, but I can be quite a little bastard when I have to. But that can be my way of getting back at them for the Hell they have put me through every Christmas Eve. Get their little hellspawn even more screwed up than they already are. Twisted Evil. AHHAHAHAHA..AHAHAHAHAH! Oops. Sorry 'bout that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
My mom is great about my Anime And Manga Infact during a Docters apoitment i brought along a copy of Monster Vol. 4 and i saw my mom read it and she said it was not bad she liked the story.

Last edited by coolGAL on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
You know I've never really had any problems with family or friends and any of my reading selections. Being an only child I started reading early to keep myself occupied. I still am an avid reader today. I read normal comics, manga, books, magazines, hentai, just about anything. My parents exposed me at an early age to violence and sex so I was educated. My dad was a cop for 28 years so making sure I was up on violence and gun safety was a big deal for him. When they saw me reading what I call "scantilous" material they kinda shrugged it off. I guess they figured if I was mature enough to handle and know how to fire a glock 21 with .40 cal hollow point rounds then I was old enough to read more mature material.

Now, my grandmother and aunt are a different matter. My mother's sister (aunt) and my grandmother are very strict baptists. My grandmother thinks my goth friend Timo is a devil worshiper. The fact he likes organic foods means he also does ritual sacrifices. I'm not joking either. I've had many a lecture on how the anime and hentai (yea she found my hentai and adult art prints, she goes through everyone;'s room and stuff) is sinfull and I only do it because of the negative influence from my devil worshiping friend. I'm such a nice boy to let my soul be tainted. This is all true I swear.
Of course, my grandmother has been diagnosed in the past 2 years with dementia and chronic psychosis. Imagine the holidays and the fun I have Rolling Eyes

My aunt, she's a closest homophobe who simply uses religion as her excuse for everything. From wizard and witched themed stuff to adult material to homosexuality. It's all wrong so sayeth the good book. In actuality I am convinced she has other mental issues. The fact her mom, and my mom's mom has dementia and mentioned makes me wonder. She thinks, like my grandmother, that my friends influence me badly. The anime girls and adult images from Luis Royo and others I have hanging are sinful and her precious boys would never do that. She has always held a grudge cause I got my cousin Brian into Heavy Metal and Alternative Rock. She won't let her young boys watch Harry Potter cause he's a witch and that's evil. Yet, they can watch the Lord of the RIng's movies cause Gandolf is a "Wizard" and that's ok. I tried explaining the actual terms and what they mean and she just got preachy. They also can't watch Pirates of the Carribbean cause Jonny Depp is a lecherous immoral man who will burn in hell. Imagine her happiness when I brought a volume of Battle Royale and Battle Vixens with me to read last time we had a family get together. Fun times. Both her and my grandmother, and my own family, know better then to take my stuff though. NOONE takes my stuff that I paid for without a problem.

Why the blue hell do people have to be so narrow-minded?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
My mom is great about my Anime And Manga Infact during a Docters apoitment i brought along a copy of Monster 4 and i saw my mom read it and she said it was not bad she liked the story.

Hmm.....I may just consider Monster sometime.

Next time I go to the doctor's, I'm bringing Air Gear, Aoi House, and maybe Bleach!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Good God, Man! Don't you know by now?!

It's because we have such miserable little lives and we can't find any enjoyment in anything! And because of that we have this desperate need to make those disgustingly happy people (or at least those who are satisfied with their lives) as miserable and as little as we are. Why should YOU PEOPLE be happy? Huh? Huh? Why should YOU enjoy life, friends, success etc.? Come on! Join us in tearing to shreds those nasty Happy People. They deserve it!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 am Reply with quote
I started reading my newly acquired Sgt. Keroro manga tonight, and my sister walked into my room and saw my reading it, she went totally crazy. I got to hear how much she loved watching the show back in Japan and how hilarious the series is. I had no idea that even SHE knew about this show. But I'm glad, because that means it'll be no problem bringing this series into the house as an anime when it comes out over here Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Good God, Man! Don't you know by now?!

It's because we have such miserable little lives and we can't find any enjoyment in anything! And because of that we have this desperate need to make those disgustingly happy people (or at least those who are satisfied with their lives) as miserable and as little as we are. Why should YOU PEOPLE be happy? Huh? Huh? Why should YOU enjoy life, friends, success etc.? Come on! Join us in tearing to shreds those nasty Happy People. They deserve it!
This is why I love coming to this site. The people here are brilliant and unafraid to tell the truth about things!

This is exactly the reason why some people are such jerks. They aren't happy and it drives them insane that other people can be happy, especially if what makes that other person happy is something that they think they can't have!

Never let the jerks of the world win! Remain happy by tuning them out or taking revenge!

And please, have a happy Thanksgiving! (Remember, there's always something to be thankful for, even if it's just a small thing.)
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Richard J wrote:
Quote:
This is why I love coming to this site. The people here are brilliant and unafraid to tell the truth about things!

This is exactly the reason why some people are such jerks. They aren't happy and it drives them insane that other people can be happy, especially if what makes that other person happy is something that they think they can't have!

Never let the jerks of the world win! Remain happy by tuning them out or taking revenge!

And please, have a happy Thanksgiving! (Remember, there's always something to be thankful for, even if it's just a small thing.)

Totally agree with you. I have a saying: live and let people live. I mean, everytime when I see people talking about something without having much knowledge of that thing, I get really irritated. People shouldn't judge things without knowing very well about what are they talking about. I hate most of all ignorance. And why can't people enjoy different things without having these horrible discussions I don't know. In a way, I am glad that the waitress spilt the hot coffee on that people (I mentioned a small incident before Embarassed ) Twisted Evil

Let's enjoy our manga and anime relentesly. At least this is what I am planning to do. I have long given up listening to what other people believe about it. Very Happy
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Richard J wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree with you. I have a saying: live and let people live. I mean, everytime when I see people talking about something without having much knowledge of that thing, I get really irritated. People shouldn't judge things without knowing very well about what are they talking about. I hate most of all ignorance. And why can't people enjoy different things without having these horrible discussions I don't know. In a way, I am glad that the waitress spilt the hot coffee on that people (I mentioned a small incident before Embarassed ) Twisted Evil

Let's enjoy our manga and anime relentesly. At least this is what I am planning to do. I have long given up listening to what other people believe about it. Very Happy

That's a very excellent saying. People who make fun of other people just for what they like are the biggest jerks in the world. And saying all anime is "Pokemon" or "Yu-Gi-Oh!" is like saying all rap is about shooting people and "pimping hoes" when there actually ARE good rap artists out there but they're hardly recgonized. The same with immenesly good anime. Example FMA, Hellsing, and Deathnote. They're very very good but they're not well known outside of the anime fandom. And if the One Piece sub(The REAL One Piece) can be considered along those lines since most dub only(if there are such people) think that's what One Piece is really like.

Don't let the dickheads get you down. Be proud of what you like. And hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurashima

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
My friends are Ok with it and somewhat intrigued, but my folks 'r just turning their back from it and ignoring it in someway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I really haven't had any big problems with things like this (especially not with my mom). My mom really likes horror movies, so she can't complain about the manga I read being violent. XP I don't read any manga that has enough sexual content in it to bother her, and if nudity is of girls she doesn't care since I'm a girl myself. I would like for my mom to start to actually reading manga though, because I think she'd like some of them. She doesn't like the fact that you have to read them right to left, but I know she'd get used to it eventually. I told her to start reading Fruits Basket because the anime doesn't have the entire story. Maybe she will eventually. I've started reading Monster, and I think she'd like that quite a bit if she'd actually read it (especially considering it's probably targeted more at her age than mine. ^^; )

There's not too much to say about my dad when it comes to this. I know I'll never get him to sit down and read manga. I think the only things he reads is occasionally some church stuff or the Bible... And he smokes so much I'm not sure he'd be able to read a book for very long at a time. I remember one time my mom told him she was gonna watch Naruto with me, and he said, "What's that?" I have vol. 1 of the Naruto manga, so I showed him that. He flipped through the pages and said it looked violent. Laughing Also, when I came home from the mall with a volume of Monster, he kinda shook his head after seeing the title.
Surprisingly, my dad has watched a few anime with me. He liked Case Closed and some Studio Ghibli movies. He even sorta liked Princess Mononoke, which is very weird since he normally doesn't like anything with any type of demons or much violence. He said, "Eew" at some parts, but he didn't actually complain. I don't understand it, but Hayao Miyazaki truly is a genius.

I should probably mention that I'm currently a bit sick, (allergies + probably a cold or something) so if my sentences in my post are weird, that's why. It's difficult to think when I feel like my head is going to explode and I have to blow my nose constantly. o_o;
Song_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Well now I’m over the age of consent so no one cares what I read. But when I started my mom gave me a funny look when I wondered down the Manga aisle of our local Borders, but she was all right with it. After flipping through one her only complaint was “I wished you’d read something with more words in it.” But even after a statement like that she ended up buying my next purchase. She has the belief that as long it as a child shows interest reading it doesn’t matter what they read. She also knows Manga is what I consider light reading.

My dad didn’t even know I was reading Manga until he caught me out back lounging, reading a volume. He told when I was finished reading it he wanted to try it. I asked him why and he said if you can watch it on television you could read it. That volume happened to conveniently disappear because it contained questionable content I didn’t want to explain. Now that I think about it maybe I should let him read one of my other series.

I also had a older cousin pick with about it but he always picks with me about stuff Rolling Eyes so that was nothing new.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
Shnone Bat wrote:

Quote:
That's a very excellent saying.

Thank you, Unfortunately, not many people follow this saying and thus we have all the cases above and probably there are many others that we don't know. The Romans used to say that people shouldn't judge what others like or care about and when it comes to manga or anime (for that matter), many people don't have a clue what this is all about. Thta's why I hate when I see so narrow perspectives on the world.

Song_Bird wrote:
Quote:
My dad didn’t even know I was reading Manga until he caught me out back lounging, reading a volume. He told when I was finished reading it he wanted to try it. I asked him why and he said if you can watch it on television you could read it. That volume happened to conveniently disappear because it contained questionable content I didn’t want to explain. Now that I think about it maybe I should let him read one of my other series.

You should definetly let him read something of your mangas. Think what he may like and maybe you will corrupt him into reading manga. Wink
Annoyin-Mercenary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
From waht I read here some parents/families are just weird..
Like that of Psycho 101
It's just....It makes me want to scream and insult them..But I'm not that kind of person
Just ignore them and do what you want to do.
It's not their life it's yours.

Shonen Bat
It's almost christmas give your brother something that he'd like.Sorry if This was already said by some on else.

My mom always says stop buying "Manga" save that money for driving lessons/clothes/shoes and stuff.: roll :
One time I left my Shinobu kokoro [Yaoi from Blu] open on the table at the yuicy stuff my mom didn't even noticed it was yaoi or she just didn't said anything about it she simply said " Your manga is on the table" Embarassed
So I think she just don't care what I buy..only that is a waste of Money and she knows the difference between cartoon/animé and manga. Laughing

My Little brothers reads also my manga.
Only Naruto and Megaman NT warrior..
But I kick ass if somebody touches or take my manga without asking me.. Twisted Evil

Don't mind my bad english Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10