• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Rise Above

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
They should actually have a section for voice acting work on games every week Very Happy Awesome to see them talking about Laura Bailey, was skimming the page when I saw Laura Bailey Level and was really confused but I very much approve.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Chrono Trigger, that's another game I paid $90 for when it was first released new on the SNES. Later got it again for only $10 for the PS1 (couldn't help it, I wanted FF IV).

Still, cartridge versions play better so those 80 extra dollars are worth it! Right? RIGHT? Laughing

Considering that they also ported CT to the DS on a cartridge for $35, which returned the game to its awesome load times and correctly updating enemy list during battles... sadly, no. But the collector in me applauds your efforts. Smile
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Wow. It took me a second to realize that I own 4 out of 5 of those overlooked games. On several occasions I have come very close to buying Fragile Dreams. I guess I'll be picking that up soon.

I'm working on Nier, but it is on hiatus now while I guide a certain assassin around. I do so enjoy Kaine's "monologue" when you first turn the game on Very Happy The game is repetitive, but I am enjoying the story.

Sin & Punishment is a tough but rewarding game. Graphically one of the best on the Wii.

I have yet to start Resonance of Fate or Sakura Wars due to so many other irons in the fire, but it's good to know that they will be worth the wait.

BTW I still have both the DC and GC versions of Skies of Arcadia. I'm so glad someone here reminded me of that gem. I need to play it again...
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Chrono Trigger, that's another game I paid $90 for when it was first released new on the SNES. Later got it again for only $10 for the PS1 (couldn't help it, I wanted FF IV).

Still, cartridge versions play better so those 80 extra dollars are worth it! Right? RIGHT? Laughing

Considering that they also ported CT to the DS on a cartridge for $35, which returned the game to its awesome load times and correctly updating enemy list during battles... sadly, no. But the collector in me applauds your efforts. Smile

But, but....

You can't play DS on a big screen! So nyah! Razz
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Resonance of Fate, eh? Interesting gameplay with an utterly convoluted story. Also, there was a comprehensive tutorial in the very beginning of the game (in the Arena, for those who plan to play it), but I guess it can be missed.
DMNT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
But, but....

You can't play DS on a big screen! So nyah! Razz

Oh... but that's where you're wrong. Wink
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
*Ahem* Re: the 2nd pic for the Irem portion...

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES A CHARACTER WITH ENORMOUS METALLIC GENITALS DOING SOMETHING TO(or having something done by) A RATHER BRAWNY FEMALE?!?!?!

COME ON! COME ON!

Quote:
"Left to right: Weiss, Kaine, and SLAB BULKHEAD."

Personally, I liked Slab Squatthrust best
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
Hearing Drakengard, either of them in fact, being described as boring is actually an insult to the developers. Neither Drakengard was a masterpiece, but they were solid games, as is Nier.

I fully beat Nier, one hundred percent, and I have the achievements to prove it. This is a statement, more than anything, to prove a small point. Most people who play this game won't. Mostly because even though the game does have some issues, the fishing mechanic is, in a word, Broken.

Fishing was really the only issue I had with the game. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as any other game that came out this year. The CGI's were good, but the in-game graphics were lacking. Nier feels like a PS2 game, but thats not an issue, since I have a metric ton of PS2 RPG's, and they're all pretty good.

The game does excel in certain aspects. The plot and the writing wasn't all that bad, and extra playthroughs actually show more of the plot and have an actual meaning. It really shined in its music. The soundtrack for Nier is amazing.

I don't know why this game is listed as Overlooked. Anyone who is part of the games demographic new about it. If anything, the general gaming public didn't notice it much because Square didn't promote it as heavily as they did Final Fantasy XIII, which was released just six weeks before Nier.

Nier is a solid game, and I recommend people pick it up on the cheap side now that its been out so long. Also, Laura Bailey is awesome in this game. she's come a long way from doing Kid Trunks in Dragon Ball Z, thats for sure.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Wow. It took me a second to realize that I own 4 out of 5 of those overlooked games. On several occasions I have come very close to buying Fragile Dreams. I guess I'll be picking that up soon.

Sin & Punishment is a tough but rewarding game. Graphically one of the best on the Wii.
Fragile Dreams is the videogame equivalent of 5 CM Per Second. In other words, if you aren't one for anime melodrama, you might find this game dragging with its weapons having lifespans and needing to always stock up from the salesguy (thankfully not so frequent), otherwise its very atmospheric.

Sin & Punishment 2, however, is a must play, although I'd hardly call it one of the best graphical Wii titles (that honor still belongs to the Mario Galaxies and Monster Hunter Tri), it does play in silky smooth 60fps with some nice effects. My only gripe about it is that the 3D models make Yasushi Suzuki's characters look like plasticine dolls. (The N64 benefitted from low-res low-poly abstraction) In the end, I'd play the game for the pure Treasure game goodness and less so for the story.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Hearing Drakengard, either of them in fact, being described as boring is actually an insult to the developers. Neither Drakengard was a masterpiece, but they were solid games, as is Nier.

I fully beat Nier, one hundred percent, and I have the achievements to prove it. This is a statement, more than anything, to prove a small point. Most people who play this game won't. Mostly because even though the game does have some issues, the fishing mechanic is, in a word, Broken.

Fishing was really the only issue I had with the game. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as any other game that came out this year. The CGI's were good, but the in-game graphics were lacking. Nier feels like a PS2 game, but thats not an issue, since I have a metric ton of PS2 RPG's, and they're all pretty good.

The game does excel in certain aspects. The plot and the writing wasn't all that bad, and extra playthroughs actually show more of the plot and have an actual meaning. It really shined in its music. The soundtrack for Nier is amazing.

I don't know why this game is listed as Overlooked. Anyone who is part of the games demographic new about it. If anything, the general gaming public didn't notice it much because Square didn't promote it as heavily as they did Final Fantasy XIII, which was released just six weeks before Nier.

Nier is a solid game, and I recommend people pick it up on the cheap side now that its been out so long. Also, Laura Bailey is awesome in this game. she's come a long way from doing Kid Trunks in Dragon Ball Z, thats for sure.

Thank you for the eloquent post. I agree completely. And thanks for reminding me about the music in Nier. I actually bought the soundtrack for this. I need to find wherever it is around here and give it some more playtime. Good stuff.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SIN AND PUNISHMENT: STAR SUCCESSOR Why It Was Overlooked: Shooter

Interesting, because this is the same reason why I overlooked it as well. There haven't been any stand-out shooters for the Wii (though one could probably push Metroid Prime 3 into the category) as most are either on-rails gameplay or game developed in 3 hours, 22 minutes.

I just found this one at Target for less than $13 (though tax put it right back). I won't write any review, but this is one of the cheapest non-previously owned games I've bought.

I'm looking forward to a game matching this review.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The X-Men arcade game is one of a trilogy of licensed Konami arcade games that I'll forever hold in high regard:

- X-Men
- The Simpsons
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original, not Turtles in Time)

All three games capture the essence of both their franchises and the beat-em-up genre so well. It was always a treat to find the "full" versions of the cabinets at the arcades so four or six of us could all play at once. It was always a mad dash to see who could get Wolverine first.

Magneto wrote:
X-Men. Welcome.....TO DIE!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3