• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gainax's Hanamaru Kindergarten (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

I think you two need to watch a certain famous french movie from a famous french director very fast.

Personally, I've never seen it but if we're talking an arty deconstruction of a Hollywood crime thriller about a small-time thug, maybe they should have waited to use it in an episode featuring the yakuza-looking guy in the white suit. I assume he'll be showing up again.

It would have at least provided a tiny bit of relevance to the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It would have at least provided a tiny bit of relevance to the episode.

I recognized À bout de souffle while I was watching the ED, but I couldn't figure out it's relevance to the episode at all. The Anzu-as-Schroeder image didn't seem especially pertinent either. (Have we even seen her playing a toy piano in the regular story? Seems more like something Hii-chan or Koume-chan would do.) Still I gave myself a figurative gold star for recognizing "Breathless" whatever its relevance. (I'm old enough to have seen it in the 1960's along with Alphaville and a couple of Godard's other early films. I liked the anarchic flavor of his early films more than his later, more ideological works.)
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Do the other Ed's reference something from the show? Space hanamaru doesn't seem to ring a bell inside of the episode.

Also, thanks to Swiss for pointing out À bout de souffle. One of the few French films I've seen Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
Hmm. Do the other Ed's reference something from the show? Space hanamaru doesn't seem to ring a bell inside of the episode.

In the sense that is featured characters in the show it certainly did, if it was the episode that featured them stargazing it had more significance (I can't remember which one it was). All the Breathless one features is Anzu. (Breathless is the english title, correct? it's the tilte I actually recognize)

I'm guessing at least some of these end songs might be "character" songs, right? If the animation also goes with character, than I doubt the song is for a character featured in that episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I am guessing that Space Hanamaru was also suposed to be reference to Hiiragi's strange nature as well as her dressing in costumes.

With the latest ED it was pretty much miss for me because I have zero experience with that particular stuff. Honestly the most I had a familiar thought of was Anzu like Snoopy. So maybe others enjoyed it more.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Part 1:
-KOUME EPISODE HNNNNNGGGHHHHH...
-And a siscon brother of course
-Hii-chan so cute when she quietly cheered her "disciple" on.
-OH S***! KAMINA GLASSES! (sorry, kid. you're not awesome enough to go beyond the impossible. Plus, they were purple. That's just the wrong color)

Part 2:
-THE GLASSES TEACHER WAS SINGING THE SECOND OP FROM SHAMAN KING!
-"Yatta, Yatta, Kokuhaku da~"
-It was probably when she was all "I wish someone would say that to me too" that I screamed YOU F***ING IDIOT! at Yamamoto (through my computer of course Razz)
-AND NOW THEY'RE PLAYING THE FIRST OP FROM SHAMAN KING!

ED:
-....WHAT...THE...HELL!? No seriously, WTF? What was that even doing? How could Gainax make something that creepy? (yamamoto as a vampire at the end was like :O)
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Ha, I was wondering what those song were. "Where did I hear this before?!?" Glad I figured it out before I came here. Poor Tsuchida, used a line the girl loves and it goes over her head. Too cruel Gainax. Too cruel.

Also is there a reason why they used the 2 Shaman King songs? Director? VA? And is there really only 2 episodes left?! Wouldn't mind if SOMETHING happened before then.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:

Also is there a reason why they used the 2 Shaman King songs? Director? VA?

Seiji Mizushima directed this show and Shaman King. (thank you wikipedia :p)

He also directed the first FMA which is why there was that "Ishbal War" reference a few episodes back.

I'm surprised they haven't done a Gundam 00 reference (he directed that too)
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I like this anime alot, it's cute and fun. I wish I was attending Hanamaru Kindergarten too Smile.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
I like this anime alot, it's cute and fun. I wish I was attending Hanamaru Kindergarten too Smile.

So... you want to be a 3-year-old? Many have sought the Fountain of Youth, but no one has found it. I wish you good luck, brave knight of the Spanish Inquisition.

Well, this episode was fairly good. I really hope their love come to a fruition, otherwise I'd have another incomplete series in my hand, and it's getting heavy, way too heavy; oh wait, forgot about this wrist weight.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
I found the end of the first story to be a bit cheesy, but that gets offset by it being about Koume, it is a common type of character, but it is also common for such characters to be ignored. Aswell as a bit of Hinagiku, who I was hoping was not a throw away character.

As for the second, it was kind of fun seeing the teachers getting drunk, not to mention appearing like Chii from Chobits. And Yamamoto just moved up in my books as being incredibly thick, passing Natsuru.

I kind of liked the scary ED, I guess just a bit of bitter after consuming so much sweetness.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

So... you want to be a 3-year-old? Many have sought the Fountain of Youth, but no one has found it. I wish you good luck, brave knight of the Spanish Inquisition.

You're hilarious :/.

Not to go off-topic, but you are right about that, I do wish to be around that age again.

I also believe it won't always be science fiction to physically regress to a younger age though. And hopefully I won't be dead by the time that comes to pass.

Anyways, enough off-topic talking, if you wish to discuss this further you know how to get into contact with me (PM or e-mail).

Last edited by Kid Ryan on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
chicogrande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I like this show also. It's about time that they came up with stories that feature child-rearing. It may not be an attempt to encourage child-bearing in Japan, but it is a rare show about parents and children that has commercial potential.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Loved the ED of the 14. Anyone catch all of the horror characters who showed up?
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
"I wish someone said that to me!"

/facedesk x2

Lol. The show is still hilarious!

Also, the Ed, mixed Honey+Clover's Waltz ed with some monsters? That's pretty cool Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4