• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michael Jackson (1958-2009) & the Zillion Anime Connections

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis: MJ's also one of the villains in OP.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
The problem is that Jackson use to be a star but lately became a clown. He was big from about the age of 5 on, although in the past decade he became known better for his antics than any music he produced. He was falling into the has-been category of KISS and many other big pop stars. It's hard to say if the "come-back" tour would have revived his career or not.

And wasn't that true of Presley? Hadn't he become a bloated middle-aged man trying to hang on to his glory days? God knows Lennon wandered in the wilderness in the years between the Beatles & his death a few times.
The really sad thing About Jackson was he was surrounded for most of his life by hanger-ons too afraid to slap him in the face & tell him he was getting strange, come back to earth. They seemed all afraid he'd cast them into outer darkness for telling him what he was doing was wrong so all he seemed to have was a sea of yes-men around him.
Plus there never was a conviction--just allegations. Did he do something? Maybe. Maybe not. It wouldn't be the first time someone was falsely accused if he were innocent & it wouldn't be the first time a guilty person got off if he were guilty.

I have seen so many characters in anime & manga that look sort of like him
The Mask

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I never knew till now that Michael Jackson actually used anime in one of his music videos.

His death really is very sad. I've already wrote much about his death in my theOtaku blog, so right now all I can say is that I hope that his soul would now rest in peace. He may have had a lot of intrigues and scandals in his life, but I shall choose to remember him as the iconic performer that thrilled many across the globe, including me. Once again, may his soul rest in peace.

----------
The_X_box_360 wrote:
When there are videos on the internet like those of a real North Korean prison yard filled with inmates perforiming in-sync to the original moves of Thriller... it becomes obvious that, even at a time when anti-American feelings are at their peak, Michael Jackson is still a demi-god level entertainment ICON who's influence crosses all national, cultural, religious, and political divides.

Really? North Koreans prisoners are also doing the Thriller dance? As far as I know, it was the CPDRC inmates in the Philippines that did the popular Thriller dance in YouTube. And just recently, they even made a tribute performance for Michael Jackson.

If you could give me a link to the North Koreans doing the dance, that would be a nice thing to see as well.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yep, truly a global media icon, and I doubt anyone will ever compare, whcih makes it harder to let him go. I guess we'll all be celebrating Michael, just like in that Back to the Future, Cafe 80s sketch. He still defines some of the best achievements of man in the 20th century.

I think the scream at the begining of the Scream video, is also that of Tetsuo from Akira (correct if wrong).

MJ loved the anime, games etc, in fact he was one of the first celebrities to like games and push to be in one. His mecha transformation scene in Moonwalker is so anime, even before I became an anime fan. I think a lot of that love has spread to other celebrities over the years.

An MJ anime? Hope we still get to see that, would be a nice tribute to his life.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
The problem is that Jackson use to be a star but lately became a clown....

And wasn't that true of Presley? Hadn't he become a bloated middle-aged man trying to hang on to his glory days? God knows Lennon wandered in the wilderness in the years between the Beatles & his death a few times.
The really sad thing About Jackson was he was surrounded for most of his life by hanger-ons too afraid to slap him in the face & tell him he was getting strange, come back to earth...

Presley lost his way when he left Priscilla behind, IMHO. I suspect she was the one mitigating factor between him and "Colonel" Tom Parker. Presley's performance schedule in the last several years of his life was grueling (150+ shows a year), and all managed by Parker--who obviously knew about and supposedly contributed to the drug usage that killed him (ten different prescription mood-altering drugs identified in his autopsy).

I suspect we will find out that MJ used drugs as well, though probably not to the same degree, seeing that he died so young.

What puzzles me the most about MJ, though, is why his huge family couldn't or wouldn't exert more influence. Maybe he thought he had "outgrown" them and therefore wouldn't listen to anyone. Certainly the sycophant principle in the arts is rampant, and it takes a very mentally and emotionally stable artist to resist that influence as well as the temptation to use various substances to meet the demands. His level of fame and money grants virtually unlimited personal freedom and public forgiveness. The individual does with that what he or she will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3