• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktarf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the amount people angered by that frankly mild comment about shoujo made by a character when it's so common to hear and say stuff like "shounen trash" or "isekai sludge" in real life and nobody ever takes it as an offense, myself included.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
ktarf wrote:
I'm surprised at the amount people angered by that frankly mild comment about shoujo made by a character when it's so common to hear and say stuff like "shounen trash" or "isekai sludge" in real life and nobody ever takes it as an offense, myself included.

Because he's not saying she might like "bad shoujo manga", he's saying she probably likes "shoujo manga (which is bad)". Likewise, he didn't say she potentially likes "high school romance sludge", which is closer to what maligning isekai series is.

For people that say he didn't literally say "shoujo manga crap", the entire way he talks is "she probably likes shoujo manga (derogatory)" so people taking exception to it are just picking up what he puts down.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:51 am Reply with quote
ktarf wrote:

My BA is in Japanese language and culture, and I can say with confidence that "shoujo crap" was absolutely the right choice to convey his dismissive tone and intention to gatekeep her from joining the club.

There are a few reasons people are bristling against his comment when "shounen trash" is more acceptable. Anime aimed at male audiences enjoy a position of privilege that series aimed at female audiences rarely receive. They get the glossy adaptations, the piles of merchandise, etc., etc. To the majority of the population, shonen defines anime, and liking it is rarely seen as a reason to discount someone's fandom.

On the other hand, have you heard how people treat shoujo series? Trust me, Okumura's attitude is not rare. Shoujo is treated a lesser. Its adaptations usually have subpar animation, and people dismiss it outright instead of giving it a chance. Okumura is using it as an excuse to treat Ririsa as less of a fan than he is.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
As far as the fanservicexfitness genre goes How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift? is definitely the better series in both aspects, as well as being funnier, but I'm happy enough with Plus-Sized Elf's debut. It's simple and straightforward, gives you exactly what it says it's going to. I'd say it will get much better once more characters show up.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:

I'm still not sure how turning situation from neutral to negative makes up for "humanizing" the scrip especially when it leads to misunderstanding (like with musouka above). And I've already tried to explain in my previous post why his statement wasn't an attempt to slander shoujo genre.

Are people really offended by this ONE PHRASE? It lasts less than 10 seconds and, as far as I remember, not only will it not be said again, it's not even the core of Okumura's personality. For me, the complainers are making a mountain out of a molehill. A very small molehill.

For all I care, watch it or don't watch it, but don't use the "shôjo..." as an excuse. It's as bad as "I don't like Lilisa's voice", and even that makes more sense.

Also: in my not so humble opinion (but not just mine): shôjo is not a genre. It's demographics. Not the same.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
I’m confused. Does Okumura get better (stops denigrating series aimed at girls and/or how many of them choose to do fandom because he grows to understand that’s a shitty thing to do) or does he get less screen time? Because those are two very, very different things.
To the best of my recollection he never expresses similar sentiments again.

Elusive Samurai was a 10/10 premiere. The animation was exceptionally fluid and lively, the colors were refreshingly bright, and the various tones of humor, melancholy, tension, bloodshed, horror, and the beginning of Tokiyuki's heroic legend were perfectly represented. I'm excited for this!
nyaa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I've read most of the Plus-Sized Elf manga series and this so called anime adaption is a massive disappointment. It doesn't even come close to recreating the funny, wacky atmosphere the manga projects. Needless to say I won't be watching any more episodes of it. Rolling Eyes Shocked
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Re: The Elusive Samurai

Quote:
The opening and ending themes both try their best to sell this as a fun adventure,

DJ Takauji in the ED made me laugh
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Did the subs for Oshi no ko call Kana's character "Shuriken" instead of "Tsurugi" or did I imagine that?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Exploration Hero gets my (tentative) most boring premiere of the season award. That is not even a snarky joke, be it how it looks, sounds and what is happening on screen: nothing Exploration Hero does is remotely interesting. The mc is a sack of potatoes, the animation is poorly done and the dungeon just seems boring and very grey. Add to that any lack of an interesting story and some badly done romance and that is kind of it. There is the loli servant I suppose but she has no personality either.

The only thing I liked was the use of bugspray to defeat slimes.

Plus-Sized Elf is not for me. I was hoping that the show would be about presenting that eating healthy and exercising enough is important to stay healthy. Maybe give some proper tips and information about diets and how to work out while they are at it. That kind of is in the first episode, yet it is very much overshadowed by fanservice and jokes. It is hard to take something seriously when after talking about how someone is damaging their health said person goes moaning and wearing overly tight clothes.

Given how cheerful the first half of the Elusive Samurai premiere was I knew things were going to get less than festive but they sure did not shy away from the brutality of it all. To go from laughs and fooling around to a bloody rampage within a couple of minutes was something else. Anyway, the first episode of Elusive had me hooked to the screen until the very end, it is probably the first show this season that made me completely lose track of time. The way it looks/moves, the mix of silly versus serious and the quirky characters: I very much look forward to seeing how the adventure will play out.

The first episode of SHOSHIMIN made me think of Hyouka plus a lot of style and movie quality/feel animation to top it off. Jougorou appears to be the insightful teen detective minus some social skills causing him to appear uncaring at times, Yuki seems relatively normal so far (though trauma is coming after that double murder at the end) and Kenho seems like a pain in the rear. Just like with Hyouka the relatively innocent case gets made into quite the big performance. The difference is how stylish and over the top Shoshimin can be.

I am a sucker for mystery so count me in for more.

Last edited by smurky turkey on Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I watched two more of my picks today!

Dahlia in Bloom is great so far. I love her dynamic with her dad and how she’s working to achieve her dream.

I LOVE the Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin game and this adaption looks wonderful! I like how it incorporated the divine raiment game mechanic, and it has nailed the characters so far.

And both have them have such good ED songs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Elf-san is uncensored and this is great. I'll take this over better production but censored (Dragon Maid, Idaten Deities, even 2.5 Seduction. Why adapt fanservice manga if you're gonna be a coward censor?). But seriously why must it be a choice, why can't ecchi be uncensored and have great animation? Why is it that having anything above bottom-tier staff and any minimal animation quality must come with censorship?
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
I've already tried to explain in my previous post why his statement wasn't an attempt to slander shoujo genre.

I don't think Rebecca's argument has anything to do with the shoujo genre. The character could have had said "she probably likes the color pink" or "she probably pees sitting down", it doesn't matter, the issue is that he made an assumption based on her gender.
ktarf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
As expected, what others see as flaws in Shoshimin I see as strenghts. Even more so than Hyouka, it presents extremely ordinary situations with glacial melancholy and it really brings me back to my lonely, uneventful high school days when I just couldn't bear the busyness all around me, not that I could now either. I'm thankful there are shows capturing this feeling I really relate to amidst the lighthearted or dramatic entries more common in this genre. Also, Mamoru Kanbe's direction was amazing.

Great premiere for Elusive Samurai. I admit I only decided to watch it because it's from the same author of one of my all time favourites, but even though it's not quite Assassination Classroom, I'm totally sold.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
2.5D wasn't terrible, but I feel like I'd enjoy it a lot more if Ririsa weren't portrayed as completely oblivious. It's great that she's extremely confident and single-minded when it comes to cosplay, but she can be that and be aware of the effect she's likely having on Okumura when in costume (or when randomly changing clothes in the clubroom having just met him 5 minutes ago). It just beggars belief that the thought hasn't even occurred to her---I mean, she herself describes these costumes as super sexy, right? I don't understand what the show gets out of pretending otherwise; or, maybe, this genre more broadly, since it seems like a weirdly common choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 26