• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I think my reputation is still secure. A few months back a cousin sent around a round robin e-mail announcing a Zoom family reunion at a specific date. I sent regrets to all and noted that there was no device in the house that had either a video camera or a microphone. M brother called the next day asking how it was living in the 20th century.

As for the kindle, it is about the size and weight of a single volume of manga. It works fine for reading on the couch. I tried the Kindle app on my PC and it had the same problem as reading any long work, you have to sit there and read it. I expect a laptop would be easier to deal with, but will still be a lot to hold in one hand to read. Regardless, I really have no use for a laptop or tablet of any kind. Navigation on the Kindle is easy in spite of a tendency to get hung up on the last page. I had the instructions up for awhile, but I seem to have lost it. I'm sure it will turn up again.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
My copy of BELLE 4K UHD Collector's Edition arrived today from Shout! Factory... street date isn't until Aug 30, 2022 so nice of them to break their own street date LOL

...of course street dates in anime/manga are rarely enforced in the US ....look how TRSI sends stuff out as it comes in stock...I've gotten stuff from them weeks ahead of expected release in the past LOL
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just ordered Anti-Magic Academy the 35th Test Platoon via Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily a "buy" entry, but one I had to do under some bad circumstances. Some idiot hacked my debit card yesterday and I winded up having to get my bank to block it to prevent further damage. Since I had The Deer King on pre-order via Amazon and planned to have my debit card charged to cover payment for it when it would be released in October, I winded up having to cancel the order since I obviously don't have my old debit card to charge it to now.

The thing that irks me on this is that I had pre-ordered the movie when I got wind of its upcoming video release and was locked onto Amazon's pre-order guarantee where I'd be locked on the lowest set price from the site for it, which combined with getting free shipping when it was originally priced at over $25 before the price dropped meant I could get the lowest possible price for it. I've taken advantage of this offer from Amazon in the past to get some movies I've pre-ordered. But since I've had to cancel my original pre-order for Deer King, I'm not getting free shipping now since the current retail price for the film is at $20.

Not sure what means I'll be using to get the film at the moment, but this situation has me annoyed since I'm both down a debit card until I get a new one in the mail next week and I'm going to likely have to blow more money on Deer King to pre-order it now because of said card getting hacked. Not too happy on the situation regardless. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
@ Ggultra2764 - that does suck, for sure and I'm sorry that happened to you. I've had a credit card compromised in the past but so far not my debit card *knocks wood*. To me, debit card hijacking is scarier because somebody gets access to your actual bank account. Mind you, any criminal who does that to me ain't getting away with a king's ransom, that's for sure...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

I don't know if it the same in Canada, but here in the US credit cards have a lot of safe guards that debit cards don't. If a thief gets your credit card there is a maximum $50 liability on fraudulent transactions. There is no limit on a debit card. Also, for some reason, if you use debit card in a gas pump they can hold $100 or more pending the final transaction. On the plus side, places that charge a premium for use of a credit card do not always charge that on a debit card since they are not paying a premium to VISA etc. to process the charge. I only use the debit card for ATMs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
Based on my own experience, there does not appear to be any liability at all on credit fraud assuming the cc can verify that you, the cardholder, did not make the charges. I certainly didn't lose any money in my case. I have an aunt whose actual bank account was compromised - I don't think it is clear how that happened, it may have had nothing to do with her debit card - and I believe she did not lose any money as a result of the fraudulent use, either.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The only instances I've used credit are via Paypal Credit if I want to purchase anything that accepts Paypal transactions, but said purchase is costly enough where I'd rather pay in installments over time for it than a large amount. I'm typically able to pay off on those purchases within less than 6 months (especially with $100+ transactions where Paypal would charge interest if you don't pay said balance off within 6 months). The only reason I haven't gotten a credit card up to this point is because of the high interest rates that come with many of them for making any purchases.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Star Ocean EX's Discotek release via E-Bay. Also, did another pre-order for Deer King through Rightstuf.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Dipped back into some OOP goodness. Got both Elf Princess Rane and Voogie's Angel on DVD for a total of $55 CAD which includes shipping. I wouldn't characterize this as an amazing deal but by the same token I feel like I could still show my face at the Bargain Hunters Guildhall without undue embarrassment.

Alan45, you suggested a few months ago in this thread that I snag Elf Princess Rane and as you can see, I've taken your advice. Ya can't accuse me of never listening to you!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, gatcha ba goose!

Blood- you are half way there. Now you have to watch it, preferably within 24 hours of receipt. Come-on, it is only 60 minutes.

This is an Anime Works title, one of the reasons that for all I joke about their current status I realize Media Blasters did do some good for the anime universe.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan, Alan, Alan... You KNOW it goes against all my dearly held principles to watch something I buy within 10 years of purchase, but... you did me a solid recently so I guess I kinda owe you one. FINE! I will watch it within 24 hours of receipt but it'll probably kill me...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! via E-Bay.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:32 am Reply with quote
From RSA's sale featuring NISA and other companies:

A Lull in the Sea Parts 1-2 DVD
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl BD
Hanasaku Iroha TV Parts 1-2 BD
Hanasaku Iroha Movie BD

Standard editions for all. These are the only NISA releases I've bought outside of Toradora, and I figured I might as well get them before they were gone.

Other RSA order:

Cowboy Bebop BD
Martian Successor Nadesico BD
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei S1 BD & 300+-page liner notes booklet

Getting all three of these for convention screening purposes, with Bebop and Nadesico being upgrades/replacements of the Bandai Remix and ADV Essential Anime DVDs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Made in Abyss vols. 1 thru 6 used at a second hand book store for $9 CAD each. Already owned 7 & 8. Once I get through my Dorohedoro volumes (I'm on 14 of 22), they are next in the reading queue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1381 of 1403