• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
But apparently that's all there is, and we will have to hope for a third season in order to get any answers. Could it be that the show will continue into the Spring season? Because season one had a much more professional ending, and I don't want to wait three years or so for a climax.

There's a preview for episode 13 on YouTube (from Kadokawa):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-m0WU_BEQ
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Great finale, from the events in episode 13 I now believe that the "person to be protected" is Climb. Considering Renner's "idea" to let him die and then nurse him back to health, that seems odd, but he's clearly someone "safe".

Also, it was great that Evileye is "given" the two maids LEAST likely to straight up kill her "by accident", I appreciate how well planned that was. The Naberal and Momon parts of the "fight" were really good too. Laughing And if there was any doubts about Momonga's "planning" efforts, I think this episode should lay those to rest, altho really nice cover from him saying he got MOST of Demiurge's "important points".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13,

This ep should address some of discussion going on previously as to whether Ainz is still a normal person inside and will favor humans. He's slowly changing from his previous "self" to the character he's playing (sort of like how Albedo's whole personality was overwritten when he changed it, just its happening more gradually). So his entire concept of justice and good and evil is changing, such as when he told Demiurge to give the people they captured painless deaths. That's now his concept of mercy.

Overall this ep did a pretty good job of covering the material, there were a few minor things they did leave out. The one I miss the most from the novels is when Nabe and the other maids were "fighting" and basically hitting each other with light attacks (light for their level) and going "ahhh, you got me!" in fake voices while pretending to fight. Would have been pretty hilarious to see.

Anyway, I'm guessing we'll see a season 3 somewhere down the road, as they did include the emperor and the end (or at least they're leaving the door open for season 3). There's already enough novels out to cover it, so here's to hoping it gets green-lit soon.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Anyway, I'm guessing we'll see a season 3 somewhere down the road, as they did include the emperor and the end (or at least they're leaving the door open for season 3). There's already enough novels out to cover it, so here's to hoping it gets green-lit soon.

Guess you didn’t see today’s news.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Edit: zrnzle500 beat me to it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
wow, July? That's right around the corner. Hell, they haven't even done One Punch Man season 2 yet and both series season 2's were announced pretty close together. Anyway, no complaints from me. Season 3 is going to be pretty good, and definitely darker.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
And Climb desperately needs to be more observant around the princess. His future well-being may depend on it.

Would it really make a difference to Climb. He was practically dead, and no one else in the world cared one bit, except the Princess. I think that Climb would take it in stride. Sometimes, unhealthy attention is better than no attention. It is also a debt that cannot be paid off.

Theron Martin wrote:
Sebas' reaction to learning that Tuare would only be a maid until she's married was also amusing, although it raises the question of who she'd be married to since there aren't any other true humans in Nazarick.

That should be self evident. As it was a loving jab at Sebas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The other significant reveal is the strong suggestion that Evileye is actually a vampire, as her damaged mask reveals a fang and its full removal later reveals red eyes. I wonder if her Blue Rose counterparts know about that? I also have to wonder if Narbarel's attitude toward her might have been different if she knew that.

Minor spoilers/explanation mixed together
spoiler[Evileye is a vampire and yes Blue Rose knows about it, she joined them because the blue rose founder made a bet with her and won, and as a result evileye had to join the group. That's what they were talking about at the end of ep 13 when evileye told the group to shut up about talking about the bet she lost.

As for the attitude of Nabe, no it wouldn't have made a difference. Nazarck's followers don't care about race. You are either part of Nazarick (a supreme being or one of their creations) or you are not. Anyone not part of Nazarick is considering an inferior life form. Ainze actually gives some former slave elves to Aura later on cause he thinks they'll get along but Aura just feels annoyed by them hanging around her. Nazarick's members massacre plenty of monsters and other non-humans throughout the series and never feel any hesitation or reluctance at it.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This season's adaptation of Overlord's volumes 4 thru 6 filled in a few narrative gaps but other those plus a few other tweaks,really did nothing creative with the source material.

Really my beef is the adaption did nothing to alter the narrative,just went from one high point to the next,leaving many scene for me feeling disconnected.

Did it not seem odd Princess Renner would show her wonderful smile given Climb's dialogue?There is a narrative bread crumb trail that leads to the why of that twisted smile,the adaption does nothing replace what has been left out.

But the scene is in the epilogue chapters so..it ended up in the anime.

Imagine if the anime had gotten creative and adapted the whole arc from Renner's perspective,she does have the best OST going.... Smile

[/spoiler]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Sebas' reaction to learning that Tuare would only be a maid until she's married was also amusing, although it raises the question of who she'd be married to since there aren't any other true humans in Nazarick.

lol
The adaption did not highlight that? Tsuare kissing Sebas,the way she looks at him. Sebas maybe in the dark but the rest of Nazarick,even Ainz, has caught on to her feelings.

True human... Omega did get a brief mention in episode 10,though she' a lv100 human NPC. All the NPCs are living beings now would be my pro human argument.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The second season of Overlord was entertaining and the reveal during the end credits that Evileye had red eyes was a nice little surprise. While the first episode was a bit confusing the episodes after that were good though I did think the lizard arc went on a bit too long. The story was ambitious with lots of characters and multiple plot lines. That ambition made for a complex story but sometimes it felt loosely connected. It might have helped if the anime had at least given information on time since it was unclear when the different arcs were taking place.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Overall I enjoyed the season a lot. the most pleasant surprise for me was probably how suave Brain sounded, that was either an excellent voice acting work, or I need to just start adding more varieties of vocal modulation to the lines I read in books

for the third season, I hope they skip most of the 8th volume, which might make sense considering it takes place before the events of The Men in the kingdom which just ended, it might indeed introduce the setting for a minor part of volume 9. but seeing how half of volume 7 is seen from the POV of an ENTIRELY NEW cast, they need all the air time they can get to adapt that. not to mention that when taking into consideration the over arching narration of the series, the end of volume 10 would be a more adequate resting point than the end of volume 9

if they keep following the 3 volumes per cour formula, I think volume 7 - 9 - 10 would be more cohesive and satisfactory if we are to wait another couple years for season 4. hell, if we are to never get a season 4 the end of volume 10 would be an acceptable ending for the anime as a whole
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Great job on reviewing this series, Mr. Theron Martin. They have been entertaining to read throughout the season and I thank you. This season has been quite an enjoyable one overall and I’m quite looking forward to seeing season 3 in July as well. I’m personally hoping that we will be able to see more of Evileye in the future as I quite liked her presence whenever she was onscreen, but I’ll understand if she doesn’t show up again in the series (although I would still be a tad disappointed if that she indeed doesn’t appear after this.)
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
I don't think we have to wonder who she is marrying. The show makes it quite clear that the dog maid was talking about her eventually marrying Sebas.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Why was Shalltear in disguise? She was told not to be there in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15