• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tiger & Bunny Anime Sells 233,000 Total Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Almost quarter of a million? That's really cool. Not sure how I'd feel about buying 9 volumes though (doesn't the first volume only contain the first episode?. Luckily, Viz'll probably release it in 2 sets.

For the last few years, I've noticed that the number 27 has been following me for quite some time. So here we go:

Tiger & Bunny's 9th and final blu-ray volume was released in Japan on 27th January, selling 21,757 copies.

Take the first and last numbers of the amount sold - 2 and 7. Makes 27.

Then with the remaining 1, 7 and 5 - subtract the 5 from the 7 and add the one, giving you 3.

Take that 3 and multiply it by the number of the final volume (9) - then you get 27.

To use up all the numbers, take 2012. Multiply one 2 by 1 then add 0, then subtract the other 2.

27, 27, 27. There's 3 27s. What's 3 squared? 27.

And people say I'm crazy...
I don't know if you're crazy, but I do know that your answer is wrong at the end there. 3 squared is 9, not 27. Embarassed Wink
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Almost quarter of a million? That's really cool. Not sure how I'd feel about buying 9 volumes though (doesn't the first volume only contain the first episode?. Luckily, Viz'll probably release it in 2 sets.

For the last few years, I've noticed that the number 27 has been following me for quite some time. So here we go:

Tiger & Bunny's 9th and final blu-ray volume was released in Japan on 27th January, selling 21,757 copies.

Then with the remaining 1, 7 and 5 - subtract the 5 from the 7 and add the one, giving you 3.

Take that 3 and multiply it by the number of the final volume (9) - then you get 27.

To use up all the numbers, take 2012. Multiply one 2 by 1 then add 0, then subtract the other 2.

I don't know if you're crazy, but I do know that your answer is wrong at the end there. 3 squared is 9, not 27. Embarassed Wink

I assume he meant 3 cubed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
But, you see, creating a show like Tiger&Bunny takes effort, and why expend effort when you can make moeshit and get nearly as much?

Hell, there was a show with literally no effort called Uta no Prince-sama. And it had sales comparable to Tiger & Bunny. The success of both is due to fujoshi buying power.

Basically that's all there is to it. Redline was a unique and well done movie but it bombed because Japanese Otaku simply don't care about rural car races. Then you have series that simply pander to who ever they want and no matter how poorly they are made they sell a ton of BR.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Maybe this will prove to anime studios that 9/10ths of every season doesn't have to be filled generic moe and loli anime.

one show is not a prove. It could be accident. And it still doesn't out sell Madoka, K-on...

And where do you get the 9/10 moe loli shows every season?

Normally, one season will have1-2 shows for all different type of audience.
You just forget about the none successful one. You remember the Moe shows because they are successful.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
But, you see, creating a show like Tiger&Bunny takes effort, and why expend effort when you can make moeshit and get nearly as much?

Hell, there was a show with literally no effort called Uta no Prince-sama. And it had sales comparable to Tiger & Bunny. The success of both is due to fujoshi buying power.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Tiger and Bunny created with western audiences in mind and it just so happened to click with fujoshi which lead to great sales in Japan?

So, should westerners complain in the future when more T&B derivative shows come out because they could sell well to fujoshi? Like how people complain about "moe" and whatever else is the cliche of the moment that sell well to otaku.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Basically that's all there is to it. Redline was a unique and well done movie but it bombed because Japanese Otaku simply don't care about rural car races. Then you have series that simply pander to who ever they want and no matter how poorly they are made they sell a ton of BR.

Same situation in America with the prevalence of reality shows - cheap to make, hardly any script-thinking, panders to those who delight in people acting stupidly, yet sells ratings well. Laughing
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Tiger and Bunny created with western audiences in mind and it just so happened to click with fujoshi which lead to great sales in Japan?

Western audiences or rather people who enjoy western (US) TV shows (Heroes comes to mind), as well as people who used to like anime but outgrew the medium (if I remember correctly). They said it in several interviews here on ANN.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Maybe? I'm still not sure how the hell Viz is going to release it over here since it has all those corporate logos plastered all over it. And they're not so simple in just a few frames that can be airbrushed like with the little tie-ins with Pizza Hut or Dr. Pepper.

But regardless, the show sold well because it was a hit with fujoshi.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
I loved Tiger & Bunny (took me by surprise as well) and can't wait to own the series.

But unfortunately I highly doubt the series would ever see those type of sales here.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Maybe? I'm still not sure how the hell Viz is going to release it over here since it has all those corporate logos plastered all over it. And they're not so simple in just a few frames that can be airbrushed like with the little tie-ins with Pizza Hut or Dr. Pepper.

But regardless, the show sold well because it was a hit with fujoshi.

Err...the suits were drawn using CGI soley so that they could add and switch corporate logos without having it seriously affect the art(or more specifically having to constantly redraw the suits). Producers said though themselves. If Viz does try to do a heavily marketed TV airing with the dub the logos will probably be changed depending on who they use to support it
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Sorry xD. I meant 3 x 3, then multiply that by 3. That's 27.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I assume he meant 3 cubed.

That's the one. It's been 4 years since I've had to do any maths Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2