• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: An Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride Anime's Teaser Unveils Cast, Staff, 2024 A

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks as cute as I would hope! And the leads are well-cast!

I didn't think Brain's Base was still a thing though...
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:29 am Reply with quote
freebird1994 wrote:
Once again, most fantasy/isekai stories should have a disclaimer before they premier

"Disclaimer: [Insert Series] contains depictions of slavery that are not conductive with real world events. [insert Series] does not depict slavery in a realistic way, nor does it call out slavery as a societal failing in need of immediate correction. [Insert Series] utilizes slavery as a way to introduce the main characters to each other and for no other purpose and the issue of slavery will rarely (if ever) be brought up again. [Insert series] recognizes that any character introduced through slavery could be introduced by being an orphan on the street or by other means and it would carry the same character weight. [Insert series] hopes you will enjoy all the other aspects of its world and not dwell on this one topic that even this series doesn't dwell on long. Thank you."

This could apply to like 10 different anime in the last couple of seasons.

Or... hear me out... you can be of rational mind and at least average intelligence to understand it's a work of fiction! Shocked
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:54 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Slavery it's a way to kickstart the plot, I have the feeling the author added it for merchandising purposes as "It's popular so, there goes".

It's also quite efficient history telling, since Zagan is shown as an apathetic guy, freeing Nephy becomes his drive/goal, spoiler[it also gives him a reason to become a Demon Lord and attain the power to break the slave contract.]

Thus, you create a reason for the 2 to stick together long enough for them to fall in love, gives the apathetic MC a goal, advances the plot and kickstarts the main conflict all with one plot point.

And, since it was just a narrative tool, once it does what its supposed to do it's discarded.

The only question that I have is that there is a secondary romance that has its own spinoff, if the anime doesn't show these scenarios and it advances enough to show them together it's gonna feel it came from nowhere.

You see I'm actually fine with because it means the MC isn't exploiting her status and is taking some action to free her even if it is a long way off. A lot of isekai can't even do the bare minimum and not pretend slavery is bad. Instead its treated like a fetish.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
freebird1994 wrote:
Once again, most fantasy/isekai stories should have a disclaimer before they premier

"Disclaimer: [Insert Series] contains depictions of slavery that are not conductive with real world events. [insert Series] does not depict slavery in a realistic way, nor does it call out slavery as a societal failing in need of immediate correction. [Insert Series] utilizes slavery as a way to introduce the main characters to each other and for no other purpose and the issue of slavery will rarely (if ever) be brought up again. [Insert series] recognizes that any character introduced through slavery could be introduced by being an orphan on the street or by other means and it would carry the same character weight. [Insert series] hopes you will enjoy all the other aspects of its world and not dwell on this one topic that even this series doesn't dwell on long. Thank you."

This could apply to like 10 different anime in the last couple of seasons.

I know, i agree. The point of having a disclaimer is to prevent discussion forums from just filling up with people complaining/arguing about how slavery is being depicted. I mean it's already a big part of the discussions in rising of the shield hero and was a big discussion point in Mushoku tensei and will inevitably be a big talking point in this series.

Or... hear me out... you can be of rational mind and at least average intelligence to understand it's a work of fiction! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2