• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oshi no Ko Anime Debuts in 2023 with 90-Minute 1st Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:05 am Reply with quote
On the subject of that key visual, I don't think we've ever seen Ai make a pose quite like that in the manga. What it does resemble is Kana's pose from that one scene in chapter 38, but with an Ai-esque wink added (see: the Shonen Jump+ promo pic, also used as the Manga Plus cover).

Interesting choice!

Also, it just occurred to me that Rie Takahashi is a really funny choice for Ai -- she had her breakout in 2016, thanks in large part to her roles as Megumin and Emilia, two isekai waifus from series that helped kick the nascent Narou anime trend into overdrive. And Oshi no Ko's premise is basically "reincarnated into the fantastical alternate world of show business". Just leaning riiiight into all that Oedipal awkwardness.
Rogue 155

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:09 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
What

I've read the manga and a 90 minute 1st episode is a bit baffling
It makes sense if they want to spoiler[show up to Ais death and enter the main story. If they do it as 3 separate episodes people might be turned off when there's major plot switch up by episode 4 ]
I guess im gonna have mental breakdown in ep 1
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:30 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
On the subject of that key visual, I don't think we've ever seen Ai make a pose quite like that in the manga. What it does resemble is Kana's pose from that one scene in chapter 38, but with an Ai-esque wink added (see: the Shonen Jump+ promo pic, also used as the Manga Plus cover).

Interesting choice!

Thinking about this some more… I'm not sure how much I actually like the facial expression there.

The fiery pose gets across her charisma, but a lot of Yokoyari's pictures of Ai also use things like that wink, or her tongue sticking out, to suggest a bit of childish, playfulness --and teasing that hints at secrets. OnK's tagline is "In the world of showbiz, lies are weapons", and Ai's the best liar there is, most of all when she's in that idol outfit.

"Passion" and "playfulness" both work for her, I think, but something about how they mix in that facial expression feels off. :/ I dunno, maybe I'm talking nonsense.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:32 am Reply with quote
I've read the first 10-15 chapters of the manga, an while I could definitively see what made the manga gets it's praise, I couldn't bring myself to actually enjoy it, mainly because of how Akasaka went when it comes to portraying the story, specially in regards to it's main characters. But I'll still bite the first episode to see if it changes my mind.
moozooh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Akasaka adaptations just can't help going all out, huh. Man might be the luckiest mangaka in the entire industry in that regard. (Assuming the OnK anime ends up being as good as it seems - but this is already a very good sign.)

I know, right? Granted, he deserves it—if only for bringing both relatable romance and clever comedy back in the stale genre of romantic comedy. Man's my hero for that alone. (Please remake Instant Bullet, Aka!)

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I couldn't bring myself to actually enjoy it, mainly because of how Akasaka went when it comes to portraying the story, specially in regards to it's main characters.

It continually gets better. And darker in a very uncomfortable, almost Faustian way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2