• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlazBlue Game Series Creator, Producer Toshimichi Mori Retires from Arc System Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 pm Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:
It's really is just the fighting game community that had a leash put around its neck.

I know we all have are kinks and what not but…

kaoru99 wrote:
Hell, even if fighting games are all toned down the characters aren't ugly which is a lot more than you can say for anything coming out of America That's one area that's never going to change because of Japanese marketing loving cute characters.

Yeah having a healthy selection of cute characters certainly helped out the last two DOA games.

kaoru99 wrote:
No matter how bad it gets, it's never getting to Mortal Kombat levels of character designs.

This meme was dead in 2002, dead in 2004, dead in 2006, dead in 2015, & definitely dead in 2019.

Can we try something new? That or be more transparent with the criticism regarding the women’s attire choices post 9
Shion44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
As a BB player, this is not necessarily sad nor happy news.

I guess we can't expect new BB FG anytime soon. Also, that comment about "its practically a hentai", good lord, that is quite excessive bias hate.

On "politically incorrect" comment, I'm not sure why that matters nor what exactly politically incorrect about it.

on that hindsight, at least Ragna can still rest in no existence. What who is he, again?

The only bad news from this is no more Tanabe fan art from BB soon.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
Blazblue is my favorite fighting game series so this makes me sad. I have no interest in Guilty Gear so I’m just going to wait to see what other games Arc Systems Works makes.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
Ryo_rkgk wrote:
Kiwi Arms wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
What do you mean by saying BlazBlue is too politically incorrect? Guilty Gear Strive: got a lot of positive reception for having diverse and inclusive characters in its roster.

A lot of things are considered politically incorrect these days. When Baiken was announced for Strive you had people complaining about her bust size and doing the whole "I thought gaming grew up and stopped pandering to teenage boys *sigh*" It doesn't take much to set people off anymore. And let's be honest, up until a couple months ago the general consensus on Bridget was negative from the more progressive crowd given the trap memes and fanbase of the character. Things may be different now but up until a few months ago it was a whole different fanbase liking Bridget.

In general fighting games have been hit hard with the trend of chasing global standards. Things like EVO really caused a lot of modern ones to be toned down in order to chase the esports dollars. Even DoA initially did that with 6 until they walked it back after realizing EVO didn't care about them even after they toned everything down. For BlazBlue specifically it's about as anime as you can get. Half naked big breasted women, incest, genderswapped fetish characters, lolis. I'm sure the usual people would find things to complain about it, much like when SnK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy came out in 2018 and got a lot of hate from the mainstream journalists and the FGC crowd who saw it as outdated and sexist. Even if you just look at Strive itself, it's pretty toned down from past entries. If Dizzy ever shows up then I'm expecting they'll continue the trend of modernizing GG characters and probably age her up mentally, cover her up, and make her not act child-like anymore in order to distance itself from the initial fanbase of the character.

Yup. Videogames are global now. Just like 3rd and 4th wave feminism and humanism spreading, we as the human race as collectively learning to.. be less evil, its profound.

People are worried about gender, sex, consent, equality and inequalities, healthcare and war.

Japan, like the west has continued its problematic view of women since the 90s.

Everyone is sick of it, heck, many parents in japan wont even let their kids watch Crayon shin-chan because it pushes bad behaviors.

Much of the anime out right now is also aired late at night because of standards.

People are tired and want to see eachother equally.

Square Enix’s new harvestella is a great example of extreme change, you can pick male female or nom binary and pick between one of two extremely gender ambiguous avatars, even their outfits are galaxy brain designed.

Its a mix of armor and half dress, its all ambitious and ambiguous.

Noone wants negative judgment based on their own personalities snd noome wants to hurt other’s ideals.

GG has a team of people all collectively working together and having conversations. blazblu was not, it was practically hentai.

Just like the creator of DoA having been caught as a harasser and DoA being banned all over the world, DoAExtreme beach volleyball 2 was even not released here cause of the negative press potential, it didn't sell well in Japan either, save for a few male otaku.

People just want people to have fun now at equal amounts.

Ok, there's a lot of things wrong with what you just said in your little soapbox speech and your terrible grammar isn't making it easy to understand some of the things your trying to say.

First off, the part were you say how Japan and the West have continued they're "problematic view of women since the 90s" and that "everyone is sick of it" just left me scratching my head. Because in reality the only people who are sick of the alleged problem you brought up are a vocal minority of people online who make a giant fuss about anything. And then you bring up how parents in Japan allegedly won't let their kids watch Crayon shin-chan and how a lot of anime nowadays airs late at night because of "standards". And I'm like, so what? Because now in the age of streaming people can just watch whatever anime they want to at any hour of the day. Making your point meaningless

Not to mention we just had Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World finish airing recently. And that's the sort of show that definitely wouldn't air anywhere else but Japan because it's basically just hentai with a plot! So no, raunchy fan servicey anime definitely isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

And then there's the part were you falsely say that Dead or Alive is "banned all over the world". Except, it isn't. The only reason DOA is currently on ice right now is because DOA 6 sold horrendously. Which ironically may have had something to do with the game toning down the fan service it was famous for. Not to mention it was only a few years ago that Soul Calibur 6 came out. Which was by far the most hyper sexualized Soul Calibur game ever made and that game had no problem making it to EVO!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2