• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Streaming Service Animeka Plans to Expand Outside Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4737

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Dayraven wrote:
Here’s a Google Translate of Animeka’s lineup in Japan.

Far as I can see, a lot of it is either on a major US streaming service already, or the kind of series that’s fairly niche because of its age.

The one thing that jumped out to me (because I'm kinda weird) is the Santa Company: Secret of Christmas movie. It's not licensed and hasn't been fansubbed. Then again I'm a weird person who likes random obscure movies and it's not gonna get other people to subscribe just cause of that.
Still, there's a lot of selection on here and has some big names so it may be appealing to people who don't have Crunchy/Funi/Hidive since it's only around $4 a month

And the interesting thing is that only 10 days have passed since the official start of this service, and they have very big titles from the very beginning, and they also publish 18 titles of this season at the same time.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Also heads up about a small mistake in the article: it's Animeka LLP, not Anime LLP.

Corrected, thank you!
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for this. The industry needs competition, and with Funi and Crunchy essentially the same company an additional party is needed. Neither funi nor crunchy and I wory that they will both take the worst from each other in this merger. Crunchy never re-released the BD or uncensored versions of shows like funi did. Funi had the worst player known to man. A viable competitor will hopefully keep them sharp.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
The two-sided coin of competition. No one wants to spend tons of money on countless streaming services, but at the same time, everyone recognizes that one company having a monopoly on what can and can't be distributed is bad. I wish there was an easy answer, but there isn't.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Here’s a Google Translate of Animeka’s lineup in Japan.

Far as I can see, a lot of it is either on a major US streaming service already, or the kind of series that’s fairly niche because of its age.

I see Tokimeki Tonight so I'm sold I only watched 2 episodes fansubbed so if they bring the entire library if the decide to make a US website I will definitely sub. Also I hope its the entire Black Jack franchise cause CR only goes up to episode 25 as well as Retrocrush. Sad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Oh lordy, here comes another one.

I hope they can get non-exclusive licenses; while competition is a good thing IMHO, I don't want to sign up for another streaming outfit, and then have to get Apple TV on top of that.

I guess time will tell if this becomes a "real" thing - the backers seem substantial enough - but does anyone have a list of shows they expect to have internationally?

As an aside, and not to slight Apple enthusiasts, but Apple TV has always seemed like an also ran to me, that only exists because of Apple having money to burn. I know one regular consumer that has it.

Just an FYI, it’s not limited to the AppleTV device. It’s a channel on the AppleTV app, which is available on multiple platforms, including most smart TV’s, Roku, and Android.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:20 am Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic. We had another Japanese founded streaming service that had a lot of big Japanese studios backing it, but it didn't last long and shutdown not too long ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2