• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha Producer Warns Against Leaks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
And here's my speculations/guesses.

They frown upon leaks because they can't control a leak. And this is bad for them for multiple reasons:
1. leak may be of an intent/interest to develop an IP as opposed to a signed deal to do so; this can directly influence any potential deal being discussed,
2. leak may be of in-development work, which can color the target demographic's expectation of the actual product,
3. leak came at a bad time and they weren't able to immediately capitalize on the hype from the leak,
all of which can temper the hype compared to if the IP owner was able to mount a marketing campaign/tie-ins alongside the announcement.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's be serious: the most recent anime "leak" was that of "Blue Lock", they said in july that an anime adaptation was likely to be produced, a little more than a month later an official announcement and the trailer for it appeared online: do you think that leak had some impact in the production? Of course not.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Let's be serious: the most recent anime "leak" was that of "Blue Lock", they said in july that an anime adaptation was likely to be produced, a little more than a month later an official announcement and the trailer for it appeared online: do you think that leak had some impact in the production? Of course not.

Okay but if you actually read the article, the potential consequences are more far-reaching than the immediate production. To spell it out, let's say a series coming out was leaked before the official announcement. Because of this, the event where it was officially announced gets less social media engagement. The production company sees the muted response, and because of this they decide not to make a sequel series because nobody seems excited, or to create less merchandise, or so on.

The way media production and publishing works these days is that it's not good enough for something to be successful after it came out; sleeper hits might as well be flops. Success is determined by preorders, buzz, and hype. Is that an idiotic way to handle art? I sure think so! But that's the way it is, and I doubt any of us have the power to change it. So don't leak stuff.
liatris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
"There are probably a lot of pirated copies being seen, so this animation will be a hit! Let's get more ads! I don't know the number of views because it's pirated!"
So you say, and you report to your company's advertising department?
This is one of the reasons why the Japanese animation industry hates piracy. No one really knows who is watching the anime.
Twitter searches are also controlled to some extent by Twitter, so there is no way to get the raw data.
It costs a lot of money to find out, and no one knows if it is really accurate. This is the main reason why Japanese animation companies don't understand the tastes of American otaku.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
I hate how hype junkies spread manga chapter spoilers before they've even come out. If you really like the story how about reading it for real instead of a checklist of spoilers? Wonder how many of these are the same people that cry about the Netflix binge model ruining discussions.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
The way media production and publishing works these days is that it's not good enough for something to be successful after it came out; sleeper hits might as well be flops. Success is determined by preorders, buzz, and hype. Is that an idiotic way to handle art? I sure think so! But that's the way it is, and I doubt any of us have the power to change it. So don't leak stuff.

Sure, but if something is a key part of your business model, then you should be protecting it. Leaks happen because companies don't protect important data. They might not be able to prevent every file from leaving company systems, but they can track it. When leaking reliably ends careers in the industry (not sure if this is a thing in Japan but sued for damages as well), it will stop.

This kind of thing is like leaving a $100 bill on a busy side walk, going around the block once, and hoping the honor system keeps anyone from taking it.

I would feel bad for an individual who got their data stolen. A big company too cheap to do anything about it? Nope. Not even a little. I'm not saying this excuses the leakers for doing it, but any company complaining about it can f-off. They have the power to fix their shit, and they aren't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2