• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses 2001 Shaman King, Lupin III: Part 5, Case Closed: The Darkest Nightmare, Mor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Might get Galaxy Cyclone Braiger and Orguss.

Any word on their search for Dub Masters for that one Mecha show (can't think of it's name but it was a hilarious dub from one of the previews) and Mon Colle Knights?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek had the original film elements scanned to create a new 1080p Blu-Ray Disc release of Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf and Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle in Fatal Fury: The OVA Collection.

Has, not had (or now has since this is a different source than what their DVD used)

Quote:
Both OVAs will include English subtitles, the English dub, and several improvements, such as revised subtitles, original Japanese title sequences, and a restored missing scene from the second OVA.

The scene in question is also on the DVD, the only difference here is that they're now dubbing it for the Blu-ray at Sound Cadence with soundalikes due to Joe's VA retiring from voice acting & Big Bear passing away 11 years ago.

Quote:
The release will also include a guided fan commentary by producer Brady Hartel and YouTuber Matt McMuscles.

Would have preferred Maximilian but this isn't Street Fighter plus it sounds like Matt has history with these so why not?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
Shaman King never had a complete DVD release, so this has been long overdue.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I still have my copies of those uncut Shaman King DVDs 4Kids briefly put out and I was always sad I never got to own the entire show. I'm so excited this is finally coming out and both with the sub and the 4Kids dub as often times these old localized dubs don't get picked up again when rescued licensed. This makes me wonder if there might be plans to include the 4Kids cast in the Netflix dub of the reboot after all. I've always been meaning to check out Orguss so I'm glad to see it getting an HD release and I'm curious about Braiger too. Also glad to see more Lupin coming.

That would be so nice, but the only ones I could see returning are Tara Sands and Sean Schemmel. Both Sebastian Arcelus and Andrew Ranells have become relatively big names on Broadway and film/TV.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So will Lupin V be both languages on each part or are they going to split it again?

It appears both languages will be on the Blu-rays, though the season will be released in two parts. Relevant tweet. My guess is based on that they don't mention a split release for the dub and sub, and the cover image (which isn't marked as not final) doesn't mention the language.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
Recently got into the '01 Shaman King anime so I'm incredibly excited it's finally getting a full subbed release! I'll pre-order it as soon as it goes up.

I hope Discotek will also license the Tokyo Mew Mew anime at some point.

And I'll gladly pick up Part V as well. I think the only reason Part 4 got separate dub and sub releases was due to the dub being rescored?

Last edited by 1dbad on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I hope Discotek will also license the Tokyo Mew Mew anime at some point.

I'm hoping so at some point too, I mean, they already got Sonic X, Fighting Foodons and now Shaman King ('01). Who knows if they'll, if possible, get other 4Kids pickups like the Nintendo game specific animes (Kirby and F-Zero), or if even a pipe dream...Ultimate Muscle. (But yet, my pipe dream of Virtua Fighter getting a re-release physically still waits.)

But yeah, TMM/MMP mostly, would be nice to return TBH, considering the newest media for TMM has since been out, but not yet have an official English release. (C'mon Kodansha USA, lol. Still waiting on Au-Lait and Re-Turn, and the upcoming "new" anime coming soon.)

And at least if it does get an official English release, hopefully it gets a re-dub for the originial uncut version, though if not, I'll still settle for the sub either way, with the 4Kids dub as a seperate release, even if it got cut short due to no merch deal to have the second half/season happen. (Outside the Tokyopop manga singles back in the day, even though the 2 A La Mode volumes had them advertised the 4Kids dub, lol.)
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
^Mew Mew's dub would be a weird sell separately due to not being finished. Maybe including that in a 2-disc SD Blu-ray set would be a better idea.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to add the Shaman King dub to my nostalgia shelf. Now if only they'd license Shinzo.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
ikarisama wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
I love when Discotek puts out the edited dub for those who want it and also the unedited sub.

Haven't they promised for years they'd release Sonic X unedited subbed, but yet it's never come out?
Because I can't think of any other time they've released separate audio versions other than Monster Rancher.

Samurai Pizza Cats and it's original Japanese series Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee.

Another example: dub and sub of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz were on separate SD BD releases since the dub significantly reedited the footage, (the dub is way more American kid audience focused, with a narrator and episode 1 showing flash forwards to action since it otherwise has no action).

Technically Lupin Part 4 had separate dub and sub releases, but AFAIK that was a licensing stipulation.

Also Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics (both the edited dub and uncut sub versions are included together on the Blu-Ray).
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:23 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
I'm hoping so at some point too, I mean, they already got Sonic X, Fighting Foodons and now Shaman King ('01). Who knows if they'll, if possible, get other 4Kids pickups like the Nintendo game specific animes (Kirby and F-Zero), or if even a pipe dream...Ultimate Muscle. (But yet, my pipe dream of Virtua Fighter getting a re-release physically still waits.)

Those would be nice! My dream 4Kids pick-up would be Ojamajo Doremi. I'd love to have official subs for it, including the seasons 4Kids didn't dub.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
But yeah, TMM/MMP mostly, would be nice to return TBH, considering the newest media for TMM has since been out, but not yet have an official English release. (C'mon Kodansha USA, lol. Still waiting on Au-Lait and Re-Turn, and the upcoming "new" anime coming soon.)

I imagine the Shaman King reboot is what led to them getting the '01 series. Which is promising for Tokyo Mew Mew, since it also has a reboot coming up. (Eagerly awaiting all 3 of those myself!)

NeoStrayCat wrote:
And at least if it does get an official English release, hopefully it gets a re-dub for the originial uncut version, though if not, I'll still settle for the sub either way, with the 4Kids dub as a seperate release, even if it got cut short due to no merch deal to have the second half/season happen. (Outside the Tokyopop manga singles back in the day, even though the 2 A La Mode volumes had them advertised the 4Kids dub, lol.)

Sadly Discotek doesn't have much of a budget for dubs. Movies and specials are the extent of what they dub most of the time. So I don't think we'll be getting a redub unless the company that gets the reboot decides to pull a Viz Sailor Moon. But a subbed-only release would be good enough for me too. It's more than we ever got back in the day!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
As long as we're talking about 4Kids license wish lists I would love to see Discotek license Yugioh Duel Monsters subbed since the entire series is now finished on Crunchyroll.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
As long as we're talking about 4Kids license wish lists I would love to see Discotek license Yugioh Duel Monsters subbed since the entire series is now finished on Crunchyroll.

They would have to go through both Konami NY & Johnny's for that.....though the latter shouldn't be difficult anymore since they have Kodocha now with Tokio involvement kept intact.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:06 am Reply with quote
It's cool they're releasing Lupin III Part 5, but I wonder why it has to be in two parts. Part 4 was complete in 1 set and has almost the same amount of episodes.
I might wait for Anime Limited to release it in the UK, I hope that one will be a complete collection.

However, I will pick up Detective Conan and perhaps Braiger too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
I likewise long for the various Yugioh series to get a subbed home video release. Now that Crunchyroll has finally finished all of Duel Monsters (5 years later...), it feels somewhat plausible.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
Part V has already been dubbed, and it is now getting a Blu-Ray release. So where was the dubbed version originally released?
Animechic420 wrote:
Would’ve been cooler if they’d just redubbed Shaman King.
It would be nice to see that for a lot of 4Kids shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3