• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town' Light Novels Get TV Anim

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'm less concerned about game mechanics and more annoyed that every modern fantasy LN has to be a harem.

What happened to gender balanced casts like Slayers? Sad It seems to be an impossible requests for fantasy these days.

I mean, just looking at shows this season, High School Prodigies is fairly balanced (4 girls, 3 guys in the core cast) and Bookworm and Average Abilities aren’t anyone’s idea of a harem. With more female led fantasy LNs being adapted, I think your concerns will be allayed fairly soon. While I can’t rule out that a few might be the opposite kind of harem, I suspect those will be the exception and not the rule, given the core demographics of LNs.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The titles for these shows keep getting stranger by the day. Here's to hoping that "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" becomes an anime or light novel soon.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Netflix and Amazon have basically nithing to do with the pitching, creation, or even funding of any of those titles though. As far as I'm aware neither xompany is on the production committee for anything they're streaming ATM, and just purchased exclusive rights for streaming them.

Yeah. I'm aware of that. I was just too enraged by the continuous greenlighting of these shitty light novel anime that I missed the nuance of these.

lossthief wrote:

And it's not like either service doesn't have a fair share of disposable-to-outright-trainwreck anime licenses. As somebody who's sat through Karakuri Circus, Ingress the Animation, 7SEEDS, and stuff I can't even begin to remember, they're as likely to pick up baf anime as any other company

Netflix's bottom of the barrel anime is better than your typical bottom of the barrel anime. Even Netflix/Amazon garbage like 7SEEDS or Hero Mask is miles better than absolute garbage like HenSuki or My Sister My Writer.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
High School Prodigies is fairly balanced (4 girls, 3 guys in the core cast) and Bookworm and Average Abilities aren’t anyone’s idea of a harem. With more female led fantasy LNs being adapted, I think your concerns will be allayed fairly soon.

Leaving aside the gags about literal harems shoehorned into the third one, this is true, but this season is an anomaly in that respect. Last season had a whole bunch of D&D-fantasy shows, and I can't find a single one that didn't have one male protagonist and a bunch of female main characters with sometimes one other guy among them. Just going down the MAL list: Danmachi, Arifureta, the mom one, Isekai Cheat, and two unrelated shows with "Demon Lord" in the title. (One of those last two is borderline-balanced but supposedly spoiler[the hero marries his adopted child after she grows up] so... yeah, I'm counting that one.)

Obviously not literally every fantasy anime is haremy, but there's a strong correlation. The occasional exceptions aren't likely to reverse the trend. Though my (cynical?) take is that we've got it backwards; it's not that most fantasy shows have harems crammed into them, it's that harem anime have settled on swords 'n magic fantasy as their standard packaging.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I love all the people complaining about a series they obviously have no knowledge off.

This is a fun series. It is amusing how much Lloyd underestimates himself.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Leaving aside the gags about literal harems shoehorned into the third one, this is true, but this season is an anomaly in that respect. Last season had a whole bunch of D&D-fantasy shows, and I can't find a single one that didn't have one male protagonist and a bunch of female main characters with sometimes one other guy among them. Just going down the MAL list: Danmachi, Arifureta, the mom one, Isekai Cheat, and two unrelated shows with "Demon Lord" in the title. (One of those last two is borderline-balanced but supposedly spoiler[the hero marries his adopted child after she grows up] so... yeah, I'm counting that one.)

Obviously not literally every fantasy anime is haremy, but there's a strong correlation. The occasional exceptions aren't likely to reverse the trend. Though my (cynical?) take is that we've got it backwards; it's not that most fantasy shows have harems crammed into them, it's that harem anime have settled on swords 'n magic fantasy as their standard packaging.

There's a lot more than 1 other guy in DanMachi, so I think comparing its relationship dynamics to harems is a bit reductive. While its cast is imbalanced, I wouldn't call Isekai Cheat Magician a harem. Of the 3 main female cast members, Rin is the only one who is into Taichi. Lemia is just Taichi and Rin's mentor and they have a platonic relationship in that capacity. If anything, I'd say Muller is into Rin rather than Taichi.

Looking back further than this season, you have stuff like Grimgar, Wiseman's Grandchild, Restaurant to Another World and Isekai Izakaya, which do not fill that mold either (also Tanya, but that is an outlier among fantasy isekai in a number of other ways). I'm sure I could name more, but it's not just the occasional exception that is drives me to the conclusion that things are changing on that front. Multiple female-led fantasy light novels have had announcements of anime adaptations, including in the two articles beneath this one. Certainly, that doesn't mean ones that are gender imbalanced in the way that a number of fantasy LNs have been will go away, but things are changing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

I've got zero interest in any of those shows you posted, yet I'm certainly going to be watching this show and the 2 others also announced at the GA FES event. All the shows you listed are just casual bait for Western audiences, which is why Amazon and Netflix funds them. I'd much rather have more anime centric stuff like Isekai, harem, battle shonen etc, since thats why I watch anime in the first place.

Maybe it's me but I would not ever consider the Psycho Pass franchise to be "casual bait" which I find funny since you mentioned isekai (which we have ENOUGH of), battle shonen, and harem which more often than not are blatantly casual works that are seldom ever deep, complex, much less quality.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I'm actually hoping that Netflix and Amazon will double down on their investment on anime so that we'll see actually quality anime unlike disposable seasonals like this one. Just look at Amazon's lineup this season: Babylon, Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga and Psycho-Pass 3. Netflix has Carole and Tuesday, Beastars and next season's Dorohedoro.

Being banished to the Netflix Dimension is usually a bad thing. It results in less community discussion and exposure and in general seem to fit the bill for 'disposable' more since they'll be forgotten sooner and less popular than the trendy anime adaptions based on LN, manga, and games the more mainstream sites get and watch.
Toonces

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:26 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:
What happened to Fantasy mechanics that weren't based on how video games work?

There's actually no video game mechanics in this book! The title is just a metaphor.

I'm translating the novels and manga, and it's a pretty great comedy series.
It's not a one-joke book; instead, it takes full advantage of the ensemble and follows a Baccano-style multiple plot threads that come together at the end structure.

I was interested in this series, but you've sold me on trying it. Will definitely pre-order the first volume.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Netflix's bottom of the barrel anime is better than your typical bottom of the barrel anime. Even Netflix/Amazon garbage like 7SEEDS or Hero Mask is miles better than absolute garbage like HenSuki or My Sister My Writer.

I haven't seen 7 SEEDs, but as far as Hero Mask goes, I have to strongly disagree. I'm not a big fan of either of the two series you labeled as garbage. However, Hero Mask is just a bad crime drama cop show which is something I can find a lot of good content for with live action. That series is bad on its merits, and bad by comparison. Those last two you could argue are bad on their merits, but are they really bad for the type of series they are?

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but I don't watch things because they're anime. I watch anime because it does things western live action either doesn't do or doesn't do well.

Crispy45 wrote:
Being banished to the Netflix Dimension is usually a bad thing.

Definitely a bad thing as far as getting me to watch it (and I am already paying for Netflix regardless of their anime content). Unless the series is super hyped going in, I'm most likely going to forget about it because they don't simulcast. That means no constant buzz around it, no weekly reviews, less discussion, etc. It finally hits Netflix in its entirety, gets attention for a week or so, and if I don't start watching right then, it goes back to being forgotten very quickly.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Light Novel titles sound more and more like Saturday Night Live skits every day.

I was going to make a similar comment. Im glad I've pretty much given up on anime now days. Jesus, I'm missing moe slice of life trash, and I hate moe.

There’s definitely something to be said about the fact that this is one of three consecutive articles that feature a girl in a witch hat in the picture. Honestly the last great series with fantasy and/or video game elements was Magical Circle Guru Guru.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
I'm actually hoping that Netflix and Amazon will double down on their investment on anime so that we'll see actually quality anime unlike disposable seasonals like this one. Just look at Amazon's lineup this season: Babylon, Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga and Psycho-Pass 3. Netflix has Carole and Tuesday, Beastars and next season's Dorohedoro.

Being banished to the Netflix Dimension is usually a bad thing. It results in less community discussion and exposure and in general seem to fit the bill for 'disposable' more since they'll be forgotten sooner and less popular than the trendy anime adaptions based on LN, manga, and games the more mainstream sites get and watch.

I can actually watch more anime on Netflix than I can on Crunchyroll without using a VPN. The world is bigger than North America.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Light Novel titles sound more and more like Saturday Night Live skits every day.

Red Bard made a great video about this

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
Seems like something I may check out. I don’t like judging things by their cover, so I’m curious to know when this will premiere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2