• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chris Weston on Redrawing Akira Bike for Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Dear lord, they're going through with this . . . I personally never adored "Akira", because I read the manga first and by comparison, the film felt very simplified and clouded with muddled messages. So, the American version will be a simplification of a simplification, essentially. With this interview about changing the bikes up, and other tidbits of news leaking out sporadically, I'm really afraid of what's going to become of this bastardization. I'd rather Hollywood screw up bad anime than screw up something that is generally acknowledged to be a great film. While, once again, I've never been the biggest fan of the film, I appreciate all of the effort that went into it, and understand why so many love it. The fact that Hollywood is screwing up something people truly love like this is nothing new, but the fact that it's to a classic like "Akira" is both sickening and infuriating.

Remember Dragonball: evolution? Everyone complained in the same exact manner that you are, and guess what? No one cares about it anymore. If Hollywood makes a poor adaptation of something it doesn't affect anything aside from the studio. If on the other hand they actually make a quality adaptation we all benefit. Acting like there is some sort of potential loss for the fanbase is absurd.

Actually, buddy, I've met a good amount of the younger generation of fans who haven't seen Dragon Ball in it's original form, but only know it from that flick. Anime cry Now, they have a series of preconceived notions about the whole franchise because of one iffy movie. Same deal with "Speed Racer", and a good deal of video game movies. Sure, it doesn't affect the fanbase, but as for garnering new fans? Yeah, it kind of DOES affect it.

And I'll tell you what's REALLY absurd: the idea that an artist seeing their work get raped in the @$$ doesn't affect them, which you seem to be forgetting.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
And I'll tell you what's REALLY absurd: the idea that an artist seeing their work get raped in the @$$ doesn't affect them, which you seem to be forgetting.

I might be misquoting someone here, but Akira Toriyama doesn't care, so long as someone stocks his pool full of 10,000 Yen bills every week or so.
Toa Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Look, I know I keep making this comparison between Transformers and Akira, which I know is a pretty edgy comparison to make, but I think there is a connection between the buildup for this movie and the buildup for the first Transformers movies (At least Akira doesn't have to deal with bad sequels. Hopefully).

Watch this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1O_D5Cx0U&feature=player_detailpage#t=140s till about 5:40. I hope you will understand what I'm trying to say with clip.

Toa Phoenix
This is a fan intervention
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

I might be misquoting someone here, but Akira Toriyama doesn't care, so long as someone stocks his pool full of 10,000 Yen bills every week or so.
Actually, from what I have heard, Toriyama was very irked by Evolution. This may be speculation, though, although i wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Actually, from what I have heard, Toriyama was very irked by Evolution. This may be speculation, though, although i wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

The only thing i've been able to find is an unattributed quote found on the archive talk page of the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
"As the original creator, I had a feeling of “Huh?” upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but “ultra” high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2