• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
What truly astounded me about the series is the anime is full of economic, social, and military theory and doctrines you would find in a college lecture. I haven't seen an anime do something like that to this extend since Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Spice and Wolf. As someone who took most intro college courses and watch History Channel documentaries, I found this extremely fun to watch.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What truly astounded me about the series is the anime is full of economic, social, and military theory and doctrines you would find in a college lecture. I haven't seen an anime do something like that to this extend since Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Spice and Wolf. As someone who took most intro college courses and watch History Channel documentaries, I found this extremely fun to watch.

Thats even more true in the Light Novels. They are an extremely heavy read and as a huge war history fan, they are fantastic. They don't always focus only on Tanya like the anime seems to do. It switches perspective to different generals and how the war is effecting them, which just makes the world building that much better.

Also I already mentioned this to Kim on Twitter, but the part where she complains that Mary is just a re-skin of Anson is only a problem in the Anime. I don't think this is a spoil since we have all obviously seen the anime, but during Anson's encounter with Tanya over Norden, where he gets stabbed and she steals his gun, he was meant to die. His death is the whole motivation for Mary to join the military and get revenge on Tanya. The anime only let him live so that the Season could have an epic battle near the end. It was a double edged sword cause while like Kim said, they felt way too similar, we got an amazing well animated fight out of it.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a fun movie. A shame it’s not as popular stateside, but there’s a clear audience this was intended for (military otaku) and they aren’t really a huge presence here in the West. I hope we get a release soon, because Tanya is quickly becoming one of the best villains in anime and I wanna see how far the story can take her conquest.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The level of depth to the LN's musings on political, economic and even religious theory are all pretty shallow... I'm frankly stunned to see someone compare them to college classes. Maybe it's the kind of thing students would discuss during the first week or two of an intro class? Honestly I'd compare it more to superficial skim-through of a Wikipedia article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2