• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto for Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Busaiku Chama wrote:
Naruto is a show that is primarily aiming for those 8-13 year olds though.

To play the Devil's Advocate, though, Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist were also aimed at an almost identical age bracket (and before we go over this again, Fullmetal was placed in a young boys' timeslot and isn't the first children's show to tackle heady socio-political themes...Gundam, anyone?). But as you said, Naruto has more ratings success on Toonami, and Fullmetal does have those intense themes to it that warrant—at least in this country—skewing towards an older demographic.

Yes, that's true as well.
I feel that a show like Bleach would have far more success on Toonami, however I'm kind of skeptical as to Full Metal Alchemist.
Although Full Metal Alchemist is aimed at the same age demographic as Nartuo and Bleach, I believe that it would draw out more of the older kids of the specific age demographic than Naruto has. To some extent, Full Metal Alchemist may be related to IGPX, which aired on Toonami not too long ago and didn't perform too well.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Busaiku Chama wrote:
Naruto is a show that is primarily aiming for those 8-13 year olds though.

To play the Devil's Advocate, though, Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist were also aimed at an almost identical age bracket (and before we go over this again, Fullmetal was placed in a young boys' timeslot and isn't the first children's show to tackle heady socio-political themes...Gundam, anyone?). But as you said, Naruto has more ratings success on Toonami, and Fullmetal does have those intense themes to it that warrant—at least in this country—skewing towards an older demographic.

This is very true. That reminds me of the Robotech penomonia back in the mid 80's. This was back when Voltron and Thundercats were also on television. However, it seemed that Robotech while aimed at around the same age group, was watched by a much older demographic. I even heard on several occasions that men and women serving in the Navy and other military branches would watch it because of some of the realism in battle tactics, even though it was completely sci-fi.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
I would sure beat FLCL or Paranoia Agent reruns, or Trinity Blood. Still, out of the 50-odd episodes shown so far, only a handful of them had truly stupid edits, so the unedited version wouldn't be THAT much better (unless they redubbed Naruto's voice).
God Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
Now I realize that, yeah, it wouldn't really do very good. I mean, if it was the uncut version of One Piece, maybe...

No, even uncut, One Piece still wouldn't fit on AS. Sure it may have a lot of blood, but that's it.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Cyborg 009 wrote:
Now I realize that, yeah, it wouldn't really do very good. I mean, if it was the uncut version of One Piece, maybe...

No, even uncut, One Piece still wouldn't fit on AS. Sure it may have a lot of blood, but that's it.

I agree with you, God Gundam. That show, even when it's not censored, is too whimsicle and too kiddish for [adult swim] (because of the style). Besides, [adult swim] has never shown a kid-themed show (even if it had blood) because it's viewers tend to watch TV-MA rated shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
God Gundam wrote:
Cyborg 009 wrote:

I agree with you, God Gundam. That show, even when it's not censored, is too whimsicle and too kiddish for [adult swim] (because of the style). Besides, [adult swim] has never shown a kid-themed show (even if it had blood) because it's viewers tend to watch TV-MA rated shows.
You are wrong they did show a kids show on AS do anyone remember Case Closed? That show did not last long before getting canned by adult swim. Even though I am a big naruto fan the kind of show naruto is toward a younger audience unless it a show like FMA.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
[Do not exessively quote. -TK]

Oh yeah. I forgot about Case Closed. Yes, they got rid of it because people lost interest for it. The same thing happened to Yu Yu Hakusho because it had low ratings being on [adult swim] because it wasn't even as dark as the other shows on that block. But it was however more violent than it's other parent shows like DBZ and Naruto.

{Semi-OT: I wonder if Toonami will let Rock Lee get drunk. They may not and they'll have to call sake "medicine".}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Shin-Chan
Milk-Chan
Hell, even Scryed and Bleach are in roughly the same general demo as One Piece.
not to mention that they used to run Dragon Ball uncut, which makes One Piece look like Shakespeare.

Quote:

{Semi-OT: I wonder if Toonami will let Rock Lee get drunk. They may not and they'll have to call sake "medicine".}

I don't know which would be a worse example, given the current epidemic of perscription pharmaceuticals.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Naruto's doing great on Toonami. Why fix something that ain't broken?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
One piece wouldn't really fit well into a block directed at people in older teens and like mid twenties. Honestly, it is a good enough show but it doesn't fit into any North American niche properly. It failed with 4kids because it was butchered like crazy to be marketable to kids. And if it were left unedited then it would be considered acceptable for people in late teens but the show really isn't serious enough to sell well with your standard G-unit teen (just a crappy stereotype I'm using as an example). For One Piece to work in North America it would have to be DVD only because it's too mature for kids and too kiddy for matures. It's fine for teens to like it but it isn't the sort of thing most people i know would want to watch unless they were already into anime.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
You are wrong they did show a kids show on AS do anyone remember Case Closed?

Detective Conan aired back to back with Inu-Yasha during the prime time family hour in Japan (well, it still airs, but no longer alongside Inu-Yasha). Both are family shows, made for both parents' and children's enjoyment (though arguably, Detective Conan was far more effective at playing to both audiences than Inu-Yasha was).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan still plays here in Canada (I think). It's on YTV's "Bionix" block with all the other anime.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Detective Conan still plays here in Canada (I think). It's on YTV's "Bionix" block with all the other anime.

It did. Not for very long.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
What if Naruto Uncut was aired on toonami? I mean, if it's just some blood? They showed some graphic scenes in the forest of death. I am impressed with the edits in the third exam part, however.

I don't see how Case Closed can be a kids' show. The manga is rated Older Teen. Of course, I saw maybe one or two episodes.

Finally for the end of this post, 4kids made a bad decision in the voice actor for Luffy. It might have done better on Toonami had his voice been more mature. SUre, it has that humourous side to it, but still, he's 17. I doubt there are many 17 year olds that sound like that.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
What if Naruto Uncut was aired on toonami? I mean, if it's just some blood? They showed some graphic scenes in the forest of death. I am impressed with the edits in the third exam part, however.

I don't see how Case Closed can be a kids' show. The manga is rated Older Teen. Of course, I saw maybe one or two episodes.

Finally for the end of this post, 4kids made a bad decision in the voice actor for Luffy. It might have done better on Toonami had his voice been more mature. SUre, it has that humourous side to it, but still, he's 17. I doubt there are many 17 year olds that sound like that.

Because parents will complain about that, no doubt. Adult Swim has constant Parental Warnings before each and every show. If they started having those warnings on Toonami, then there would be parents that would not let their kids watch it.
Cased Closed the anime and Case Closed the manga are two seperate things. The anime doesn't go into some of the same details that the manga goes into.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3