• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strange Faces of Oda Nobunaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I think the only neutral portrayal of Oda Nobunaga I've seen was in the sci-fi flick The Time Stranger from 1986, not to be confused with Yuyama's film of a similar name.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who would've selected Mima/CHAM as the "idol I'd like to see in concert?" Maybe it's just me, but Perfect Blue's take on pop-stardom looks like some serious fun, especially if Memania's at a concert... Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo:

Hyouge Mono showed him in a good light.

In it he was indeed calculating, cunning, ambitious and downright scary. But he was also a cultured aesthete, an intelligent and wise ruler, a perceptive and accomplished leader, a warrior of great honour and chivalry, and an incredible unifier of the rabble. He reminds me of an alpha male wolf; absolutely ruthless in keeping his rivals and enemies at bay, but also very protective of his loyal pack. He never once let his underlings forget that he was the boss, but he could be very generous to those who earned his respect. Under his rule (in both the show and real life) the samurai class was a meritocracy, where deeds and talent mattered more than one's family lineage. Through cleverness and hard work (and, of course, complete loyalty), even common lowly-born footsoldiers and sandal-bearers could climb the ranks and achieve great power under Nobunaga's rule. He was most certainly not the figurative demonic hellspawn modern Japanese think of him as.

Really, you should watch Hyouge Mono. It is a fantastic series, and Nobunaga is presented as an utterly fascinating man.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
When you're talking about bunnies, everyone knows it's all about King Kazuma. He's an awesome bunneh.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, its almost like you didn't even watch Sengoku Collection or something.

Jesus.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Am I the only one who would've selected Mima/CHAM as the "idol I'd like to see in concert?" Maybe it's just me, but Perfect Blue's take on pop-stardom looks like some serious fun, especially if Memania's at a concert... Laughing

I think your definition of fun greatly differs from mine ^^;
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Also why is the Nobunaga from Sengoku Otome not on this list? She was a far better Nobunaga than Nobuna was.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What about the Nobunaga in Battle Girls Time Paradox? She should have been on the list.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Nobunaga at Inazuma Eleven GO Chrono Stone* was quite a positive character spoiler[-at least, not evil-]

* You can't have a longer name for a sequel, can you?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wow, its almost like you didn't even watch Sengoku Collection or something.

Jesus.

Of you'll remember last time, your snark isn't appreciated. I have, in fact, watched Sengoku Collection. I did not include every female Oda on The List because its redundant our the incarnation's personality was to similar to another entry to warrant adding. This isn't the "every Oda Nobunaga" list, its seven different faces.

Updating from phone, excuse typos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
of all many Oda Nobunaga why did you left out Oda Nobunaga from sengoku basara & sengoku otome?

give i'm familar with two female Nobunaga give why left out basara & otome version as well?

& hurray at the Lacus is top 3 for concert singing.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Why are all the portrayls of Oda bad? Either he is some sort of demonic villian, or he is portrayed as a good guy but a woman. Honestly the only times Nobunga is portrayed as good is as a woman. There is a manga out currently where Nobunga was born as a twin, he dies, then his twin sister takes over, and is the heroine. Give the man a break.

Tokugawa on the other hand usually has a fairly positive portrayal. Without Oda Nobunaga there would be no Tokugawa or unification of Japan. And I dont recall him being any worse of an individual then Hideyoshi or Tokugawa or any historic figure for that matter.

Hell even Vlad Tepes gets portrayls in a positively light ala Hellsing by proxy of dracula. Sure he is an anti villain, but still probably the most liked character int the show.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The article needs a little polishing in terms of typos and structure (missing letters from words and such). But content-wise, I laughed harder than I should have when I read this:

Quote:
That's where the comedy is supposed to lie, because what's funnier than an overly confident leader ordering people around while struggling with fast food?

I pictured it in my head and it just cracked me up. XD
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Nice list! Not all female Nobunagas need be listed; that could probably be a list unto itself. It's so nice to see Hyouge Mono getting some more attention. That show is like nothing else out there, and it's great that more people seem to be discovering it.

Whenever I ask my teenage students in English class who their favorite historical figure is, the #1 answer I get is Sakamoto Ryouma, and Oda Nobunaga is second. Because of all the evil demonic portrayals in media, this surprised me, but when I ask why, they usually say they admire his ambition.

As for last week's poll, I missed it somehow, but I would totally go see a Fire Bomber show.

Last edited by vanfanel on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
My first thought was Yotoden! Showing my age. It was one of my first "real" anime and it will always have a special place in my heart. I used to go by "Kikyo" online because of that OAV. <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3