• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai BLURAY 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Can we please stop calling Mr. Satan "Hercule"? Let's not reward Funimation's past bad behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can we please stop calling Mr. Satan "Hercule"? Let's not reward Funimation's past bad behavior.

And this kind of behavior is what gives Dragon Ball fans a bad name. The incessant picking on what's canon and what's not, and the insistence that one name is right over the other. For the record, I, too, don't like it when they refer to Mr. Satan as "Hercule", and I will politely correct them once or twice, but I'm not forcing someone to use the correct terminology, nor will I get my panties in a bunch because people are insisting on not calling him Mr. Satan. It's called self-control. Maybe you could use more of it. The face that you didn't correct everyone for not saying "Gin'yu Tokusentai" instead of "Ginyu Force" shows a faint glimmer of hope.

As for the Kai Vol. 3 review, I too don't get the hate for the Ginyu Force. It serves as a fun respite for the brutality that comes next leading to Goku's first time going Super Saiyan. I showed these Kai episodes (specifically eps 28-34) at Katsucon last month during the Dragon Ball block on Saturday morning, and people seemed to enjoy it. I had one viewer, after seeing Goku dispose of Recoome, say, "This show is the manliest show ever." I'm sure it was in jest, but I was smiling when I heard that comment. And I hadn't yet shown Sengoku Basara later that day or Legends of the Dark King later that evening! I always got a kick out of watching the Ginyu Force and their ultimately silly antics. That's probably why you *want* to see Goku beat them up. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
"Ginyu Force" makes some type of sense when translating "Ginyu Tokusentai". I prefer "Ginyu Special Forces" but "Ginyu Force" is fine.

"Hercule" is just something Funimation pulled out of their asses so that soccer moms wouldn't get offended that their poor babies are watching a cartoon with a character with the name "Satan" in it and might go to some imaginary bad place when they die for watching a cartoon. It might have had its purpose back when DBZ aired on Cartoon Network (and it's still likely it will be used for the Nicktoons version), but it's not his name, and it's not elitist to call a character by their actual name. "Hercule" isn't even a close approximation.

Normally I wouldn't bother nitpicking that, but it's so far away from the original name, it's annoying. That's like if they brought in Freeza and called him "Raymond".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2