• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Allison Keith as Misato wasn't bad. When I reviewed the D&R dub for the Eva mailing list, I remember believing her to be the angel of the dub. I still prefer Kotono Mitsuishi, but eh. Like I've said, I'm not much of a dub fan, but I still like some of the early dubs I've seen, and will check out a dub I hear good things about(though nowadays I'll have seen the sub first and be imprinted by it). Most of the Eva cast I know for they're Blue Seed work.

I find it amusing too, that most people claim dubbings gotten better. Most of the dubs I enjoy are old, really old. They were horribly inaccurate, but had some character. Accuracy is my priority, which is what keeps me from most dubs. Most new dubs like most of ADVs, have mis-casted characters and the "floating voices" syndrome. That's where they were mixed in a way that the voices sound hollow, like everythings a narration. Maybe it's me though. That, and I tend not to like the stereo-typical "dorky guy" or "cutesy girl" in english, like I do in Japanese. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
To a "foreign" ear like mine that hasn't been educated in a mid-western US school it's blaringly obvious. I've been to Germany a few times on me hols and believe me I've never heard any German speak like they were educated in Dallas. If it is true that Ms Grant can speak fluent German I can not see why she could not have at least tried the put a German accent to her character. It's a good example how nepotism can ruin an otherwise good production. BTW, you obviously didn't think much of the dub for Cowboy Bebop then?

Hmmm, well, it's possible I don't notice it for that reason, since I am Midwestern born and bred and have never spent more than a few days outside of the Midwest.

Oh, I like the Cowboy Bebop dub a lot; I'd rank it at least amongst the Top 10 English dubs I've heard, maybe even the top 5. For me, though, the NGE dub still outclasses it.

I figured I'd get a lot of comments with such bold statements about the dub, but I stand by them. To my ear, there hasn't been a better English dub made for any anime title. This observation is based on my experience with the dubs for somewhere over 130 different titles. (And no, I'm not trying to be elitist or start a silly who-can-top-who argument here. I'm just trying to point out that I am not some newbie basing this on limited experience.) Others will, of course, have dissenting opinions, and you're welcome to them. (But really, "laughably bad," Jadress? Are you sure we're talking about the same series?)

I know what I like and what I see as quality. If you disagree, then state what you think is the best - and comments like "all dubs suck" or "I don't ever watch dubs" will be disregarded. This is a challenge for those who do watch dubs regularly.

I watch Dubs most of the time, and I can tink of only three dubs that rank with the EVA dub. s-CRY-ed, Cowboy Bebop, and Magic Knigt Reyearth. My Anime Club watchse Subs most of the time but these 4 titles we watch in the dub.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I find it amusing too, that most people claim dubbings gotten better. Most of the dubs I enjoy are old, really old. They were horribly inaccurate, but had some character.

Oh, I'm with you there. I don't care how bad it is, but I love the old "IgottatalkreallyfastsoIcanfitthemouthmovement, you readyforthis?AUUUGH!" Project A-ko dub. Actually a few of the old CPM dubs (A-ko, Dominion Tank Police OAV) were really amusing, as were some of the old Screamline dubs like the old Dirty Pair OAVs. I recall one line that cracked me up, I think it was Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia (or something like that?) - a guy falls into a bathtub with Kei, and he's holding her boobs for a moment and she screams out, "Whaddya think they are, braile?!" That couldn't have been an accurate line, but it was a great one! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Demaar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pathological dub hater and I'm surprised no one mentioned Hellsing's. It's the only one since I started buying bilingual DVD's that I will watch with the intention of enjoying the show. Then again, I still haven't watched the Bebop DVD's, but its dub was pretty good too, from what I had seen of it on TV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I find it amusing too, that most people claim dubbings gotten better.

Renaisance Otaku, this comment you made is just as "nutty" as your home town's minor-league baseball team. Wink

Just like Key, I'm also a regular dub watcher, but I do watch subs on occasion. Personally, I don't have a preference as to what language I watch anime, as long as I enjoy both the characters and the storylines, it's fair game with me. I stand by Key 100% when challenged by fans that say "all dubs suck" or "dubs ruin the integrity and beauty of the Japanese language". The beauty of being an anime fan is the choice you make in what and how you watch anime; please don't tell me that there are "unwritten rules" for fans to watch anime.

For those that complained about Eva being re-released, I'm still new to the Eva universe, and the Platinum versions are perfect for me to watch because they are void of all the technical glitches that plagued the original recordings. I was planning on buying the originals, but when I read about these revised editions, I decided it was a wiser investment to wait until they become available and get the remastered versions instead.

If you want some proof that dubs got better, listen to the dubs of Azumanga Daioh, R.O.D.- The T.V., SaiKano, Fullmetal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, and Fruits Basket. These have some of the best dub tracks of any anime series on the market.

(FYI: Most of you - all right, all of you - might not get what I meant in the first line of my post, so I will explain. Renaisance Otaku is from Modesto, CA. The minor-league baseball team that resides there is called the Nuts. See what I mean when I said that I sometimes use sports references in my posts. Laughing )
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh Yes, especially the voice of the German born Japanese girl who just happens to have a Texan accent. Without a doubt the best ever. Wink

Umm.. she might have some slight regional inflections in her work, but she does not have a "Texan accent" in any of her work. (if she did, I would be the first one to point it out though)
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh Yes, especially the voice of the German born Japanese girl who just happens to have a Texan accent. Without a doubt the best ever. Wink

Umm.. she might have some slight regional inflections in her work, but she does not have a "Texan accent" in any of her work. (if she did, I would be the first one to point it out though)

I agree. Tiffany Grant does a great job keeping her English unaccented.

(If you want to hear her voice with a "Southern" accent, you should check out her performance as Kumi Kumi in Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemy, which sounds very different from Asuka.)
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Oh, I'm with you there. I don't care how bad it is, but I love the old "IgottatalkreallyfastsoIcanfitthemouthmovement, you readyforthis?AUUUGH!" Project A-ko dub. Actually a few of the old CPM dubs (A-ko, Dominion Tank Police OAV) were really amusing, as were some of the old Screamline dubs like the old Dirty Pair OAVs. I recall one line that cracked me up, I think it was Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia (or something like that?) - a guy falls into a bathtub with Kei, and he's holding her boobs for a moment and she screams out, "Whaddya think they are, braile?!" That couldn't have been an accurate line, but it was a great one! ^^

That was from the movie(aka Project Eden, how it got that name....). That's one of my favorites even though it's extremely inaccurate(like the scene where Kei tells Yuri she's going to get them killed. Yuri responds with, "Well, if you gotta go, best to be buried with firm thighs." A bit out of character, but still amusing. In the original, the dialogue was left to the viewer.)

i haven't seen the ADV dub, but I doubt it's as fun. I enjoy that one as much as the sub. Not many titles are like that. Normally, I'm a hardcore subbie. Wink

biliano wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I find it amusing too, that most people claim dubbings gotten better.

Renaisance Otaku, this comment you made is just as "nutty" as your home town's minor-league baseball team. Wink

Just like Key, I'm also a regular dub watcher, but I do watch subs on occasion. Personally, I don't have a preference as to what language I watch anime, as long as I enjoy both the characters and the storylines, it's fair game with me. I stand by Key 100% when challenged by fans that say "all dubs suck" or "dubs ruin the integrity and beauty of the Japanese language". The beauty of being an anime fan is the choice you make in what and how you watch anime; please don't tell me that there are "unwritten rules" for fans to watch anime.

For those that complained about Eva being re-released, I'm still new to the Eva universe, and the Platinum versions are perfect for me to watch because they are void of all the technical glitches that plagued the original recordings. I was planning on buying the originals, but when I read about these revised editions, I decided it was a wiser investment to wait until they become available and get the remastered versions instead.

If you want some proof that dubs got better, listen to the dubs of Azumanga Daioh, R.O.D.- The T.V., SaiKano, Fullmetal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, and Fruits Basket. These have some of the best dub tracks of any anime series on the market.

(FYI: Most of you - all right, all of you - might not get what I meant in the first line of my post, so I will explain. Renaisance Otaku is from Modesto, CA. The minor-league baseball team that resides there is called the Nuts. See what I mean when I said that I sometimes use sports references in my posts. Laughing )

Biliano, may I ask what your problem is? Never once did I say that you have to watch subs. Never once did I challenge you with the lines you mentioned. I merely stated that I found some older dubs enjoyable, and that my opinion being that dubs really haven't changed much, good or bad, over the years. Where the heck did I say there were "unwritten rules" to anime? If you just want to pick a fight, please do it to someone else. I'm tired of the fact that every dub thread has to have someone warp someone else's words to start a flame war.

I've heard some of the dubs of Azumanga and ROD. While I admit to being biased through seeing the subs first, I disliked the use of accents in AD and thought most of the voices in ROD were off. It also suffered from the floating voices mixing problem, at least in the episode I saw. Besides, has it ever occured to you that the opinion that dubs have improved is just that - an opinion? Have you ever considered that maybe some other people don't share it? I assume you think me some dub hating troll that never gives anything a chance. Trust me, I do. I just tend to enjoy the japanese version better. Last I checked, my opinion is just as valid as yours.

As for the Modesto Nuts, I don't care for them. Modesto isn't my hometown. I merely had to move here recently. I don't need you top rub in the fact that the idiots here thought that was a decent name for a baseball team. Thanks for your immature comment. How much time did it take you to come up with that one. Wink

You've had you fun, now pick on someone else.

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Most new dubs like most of ADVs, have mis-casted characters and the "floating voices" syndrome. That's where they were mixed in a way that the voices sound hollow, like everythings a narration.

I know exactly what you mean. That's been one of my main complaints about them for a while. Everytime I watch an ADV title I always give the English tracks a listen in hopes that I'll actually hear something I like to get me over the hump of hating their voice acting. But sadly, I've always noticed that in their 2.0 or 5.1 tracks that they seem to be lacking something. It always seemed like the bass was drained out and that the characters sounded flat for some reason.

And another thing that bugs me is their inconsistent effort to at least say a few names right. Yeah, yeah, people can use the argument that the Japanese are just as guilty for butchering English names, but a vast majority of anime usually have Japanese names anyway and the least the dubs can do is say them right or even close to how the name sounds.

Instead, you hear names like "Kuh-nah-mee Chih-door-ray', 'Eu-ree-ka Miss-umaru,' or 'Ms. Suck Cocky."

Ironically though, Fullmetal Alchemist also uses a few ADV people and I find them (well, at least Ed) to be pretty good. Maybe it's the directing...
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. That's been one of my main complaints about them for a while. Everytime I watch an ADV title I always give the English tracks a listen in hopes that I'll actually hear something I like to get me over the hump of hating their voice acting. But sadly, I've always noticed that in their 2.0 or 5.1 tracks that they seem to be lacking something. It always seemed like the bass was drained out and that the characters sounded flat for some reason.

When it comes to old ADV Films stock brought out on DVD, I agree it would sound flat and without bass because you are trying to take something meant for 2 speakers and mix it so it would sound great on 5 - 7 speakers -- not the easiest of feats.

In many cases, whether it's money or staffing issues, a lot of companies (including ADV) can't re-record the voice-overs, so the remixers have a large problem ahead of them when it comes to synching voice with the remixed 5 - 7 speaker audio and making it all work right.

Speaking of Volume 3, this volume has very insightful 5.1 commentary discussions with audio remixer Wade Shemwell, who quote "locked himself in a room and somehow made it all work".

(btw, Tony, the Grant/Greenfield commentary did note that Shemwell would come out of the booth and call Tiffany Grant's voice "annoying" ... so, you're not alone on disliking some of the ADV dub work.)
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Biliano, may I ask what your problem is? Never once did I say that you have to watch subs. Never once did I challenge you with the lines you mentioned. I merely stated that I found some older dubs enjoyable, and that my opinion being that dubs really haven't changed much, good or bad, over the years. Where the heck did I say there were "unwritten rules" to anime? If you just want to pick a fight, please do it to someone else. I'm tired of the fact that every dub thread has to have someone warp someone else's words to start a flame war.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a classic example of someone misinterpreting someone else's comments. If you all think that I have a problem, then you're right - my problem is that I'm an anime fan. For that, I'm very sorry. Crying or Very sad If you all think that I'm immature, than you're right - I'm very immature that I can't have a little fun when I write my posts. For that, I'm very sorry. Crying or Very sad

I know that most of you that have read my posts know that I do take the time to do some research on certain topics. Perhaps I should have done my homework a little bit more on this subject, but with the constraints that I have in accordance with my job as an accountant, I have very little time to do comprehensive research. For that, I'm very sorry. Crying or Very sad

In the future, I will be careful when I'm making posts. The last thing that I want to do is start another sub vs. dub war. I also don't want to make enemies. I completely and wholeheartedly respect and appreciate all of the comments made in this forum. I learned a lot about this great medium called anime, and I'm willing to learn more. Very Happy

-biliano
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
It'a not that I can't take a little joke, but your post came off as putting words in my mouth andseemed like you were belittling my opinion. I figured it was light-hearted, but you could 've phrased it better.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you're right. Smile My apologies. Embarassed
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Laughing Of which I have no doubt, but to me Asuka sounds like George W.. (no offence) Wink

Key wrote:
I know what I like and what I see as quality. If you disagree, then state what you think is the best - and comments like "all dubs suck" or "I don't ever watch dubs" will be disregarded. This is a challenge for those who do watch dubs regularly.
To each their own, of course. I had no problem with the other castings. To me they all fit their character well enough, except for Asuka, when she spoke in English, it was 180 out of character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2