• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thought the show was ok if you thought of it as some weird Altered Carbon style thing. I don't think it's the best idea to literally just try and remake an anime in live-action with doing the mildest of adaptation. To me, the live action version just felt goofy in a way that the anime doesn't. Anime can do things and it just works with how they draw it or it being animated to begin with that it's easier to buy as cool. When you literally do all of that in live action though, it just seems like super goofy and Fifth Elementy in a way that the anime never really did.

Oh wells for a S2. One hand I think they would have found a better balance but on the other hand maybe they'd have to keep it the same now that they've established what the tone of the series is.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Another problem, at least for Latin American viewers, was the fact the show received THREE dubbed versions: One with Neutral Spanish, another with Mexican slang, and another dubbed in Argentina with Argentinian accents and slang.

The problem is, the Latin American dubs with local accents were also hated due to their abuse of local slang and even copious amounts of profanity, which will make you think why Netflix just settle out with the neutral one instead, rather than wasting the voice actors and viewers' time and money with such unnecesary dubs.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Well deserved. I cannot believe people think the Gundam one will turn out fine. The 40 year old Japanese fanbase will rip the abomination to shreads. Netflix has always been the dumping ground for low budget products since they effectively don't have a box office to recoup their budget, They will be outcompeted by pretty much any major film conglomerate. To add insult, they will add so much swearing to the point where every character becomes downright obnoxious, remote anything that can be remotely revealing on female characters, and even change the show completely.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Netflix has always been the dumping ground for low budget products since they effectively don't have a box office to recoup their budget,.

I've learned very quickly that 'Netflix original" is just the current generation's version of "direct-to-video".
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing. I think that the live-action version of "Cowboy Bebop" wasn't inherently a bad idea. But,I think what happened was bad casting. I don't think that any of the actors hired for this series resembled the main characters in the anime. Moreover,the live action version of Spike Spiegel. I think a lot of people expected guys like Keanu Reeves or Benedict Cumberbatch to be in that role,not John Cho. It would have gone down a lot better if that happened. Also,Faye Valentine. They didn't use her more...sexier look in the live action version.
What I think people wanted was to see "Cowboy Bebop" done well in live action. Sadly,that didn't happen. But overall,the idea wasn't a bad one. It wasn't executed properly. That's all.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Netflix has always been the dumping ground for low budget products since they effectively don't have a box office to recoup their budget,.

I've learned very quickly that 'Netflix original" is just the current generation's version of "direct-to-video".

People also need to remember one important thing. Heavy anime watchers largely aren't that into western media. Heavy consumers of western media largely aren't into anime. Once you start transforming one medium to another, you begin to heavily alienate audiences. I am not talking about fringe cases like an avengers blockbuster or big 3 like anime. I am talking like watching all of stuff like Filoniverse, CWverse, MCUverse. SAO may not be liked by the west, but if it works in Japan, let it be.

Japanese anime when translated or dubbed would feel very dry compared to the regular humour in Superhero movies. Adding in jokes would make it feely cheesy. Deviating too far would make it look like a blasphemy of the source. You are far more restricted than video games where you have more flexibility with the story, and more video games are based in real life. The mecha shows will probably need disney budgets to make look passable in live action and fantasy probably hard as well. Good luck to Netflix recouping that without a box office.

Hollywood just cannot help themselves since they see anime as a ip breeding ground.

Combine it with Netflix's low budget projects and desire to "mature" and "westernize" things up, this is a recipe for disaster. I heavily suspect every upcoming live action will be fail hard out the gate.
DaMightyBenStein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:48 am Reply with quote
I watched a promo for tonight's Cowboy Bebop on Toonami. They were dropping some lowkey, but obvious shade on Netflix's live action version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9