• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
randomanimefan wrote:
I think Spice and Wolf could be a very good pick for Funimation if they market it right.

As for VAs, why do I get this feeling that Crispin Freeman is a candidate for Lawrence? Maybe based on the original VA's range. As for Horo...the original VA set the bar unbelievably high. She would win over people who don't normally like subs.

If a company like Bandai who uses dubbing studios in California had gotten the license, then I could definitely have see Cripsin Freeman getting the part. But since it's Funimation, I think that it's pretty much a guarantee that he won't. They'll almost certainly cast one of their regulars in the part.

I do have to agree, however, on how good the Japanese VA was for Horo. It'll be really hard for anyone to match that. And while I'm a major fan of dubs and dislike watching subs, Horo is definitely a part that I wonder whether anyone can really pull it off as well as the Japanese VA. Unfortunately, even if the English dub VA does an absolutely fantastic job, odds are that most anyone that's pro-subs will say that she did an inferior job - if nothing else because the original VA did such a good one.

randomanimefan wrote:
I wonder, is there anything (like business reasons) preventing Funimation from "flash-subbing" Spice and Wolf prior to a DVD release, like they did with Shikabane Hime?

Probably not. But we'll have to wait and see whether they actually do. Personally, I don't much care. You can get HD fansubs of it which are of decent enough quality translation-wise that I see no benefit in a low-quality stream with official subs. I'll definitely buy the DVDs when they come out (and Blu-ray if they ever release it that way), but the streams just don't appeal to me. And I'd have to go out of my way to actually help them at all revenue-wise by watching their streams because I block all ads anyway. However, if it'll help Spice and Wolf sell at all, I hope that they do release a subbed stream of it on their site.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:

K-ON will sell to those who liked Manabi Straight and not many others. actually, I kind of liked Manabi Straight, yet still can't stand K-ON.

Are you kidding? My impression is that the Haruhi legions will be all over it.

Anyways, I'm surprised and also psyched. Not that I've been paying attention lately but this isn't one of the first shows I'd pegged as getting licensed anytime soon. I lurve Spice & Wolf because it's quirky and clever.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
You guys really want K-ON licensed here in the states?

Please, there are a lot of shows that really deserve to be here besides K-ON

Agreed. Though a friend of mine told me K-ON isn't completely a cutesty/moe/ecchi show, there are other shows that deserve to be licensed besides K-ON. For example, Toradora and Dragon Quest: Dai No Daibokuen(Dai's Great Adventure.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
You guys really want K-ON licensed here in the states?

Please, there are a lot of shows that really deserve to be here besides K-ON

Agreed. Though a friend of mine told me K-ON isn't completely a cutesty/moe/ecchi show, there are other shows that deserve to be licensed besides K-ON. For example, Toradora and Dragon Quest: Dai No Daibokuen(Dai's Great Adventure.)
Wait there is ecchi in K-On, I have seen more ecchi in Saki then K-On, and thats about Mahjong.
DPX

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
randomanimefan wrote:
I think Spice and Wolf could be a very good pick for Funimation if they market it right.

As for VAs, why do I get this feeling that Crispin Freeman is a candidate for Lawrence? Maybe based on the original VA's range. As for Horo...the original VA set the bar unbelievably high. She would win over people who don't normally like subs.

If a company like Bandai who uses dubbing studios in California had gotten the license, then I could definitely have see Cripsin Freeman getting the part. But since it's Funimation, I think that it's pretty much a guarantee that he won't. They'll almost certainly cast one of their regulars in the part.

I do have to agree, however, on how good the Japanese VA was for Horo. It'll be really hard for anyone to match that. And while I'm a major fan of dubs and dislike watching subs, Horo is definitely a part that I wonder whether anyone can really pull it off as well as the Japanese VA. Unfortunately, even if the English dub VA does an absolutely fantastic job, odds are that most anyone that's pro-subs will say that she did an inferior job - if nothing else because the original VA did such a good one.

Let's be realistic here. Subbies would bash the English dub simplt because it's in English. Regardless of how good or bad the Japanese voices were.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
randomanimefan wrote:

Let's be realistic here. Subbies would bash the English dub simply because it's in English. Regardless of how good or bad the Japanese voices were.

Unfortunely, that is true. I'll never understand why some people think English audio is always inferior to Japanese audio. Do even half of these people even understand Japanese audio without English subtitles?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Unfortunely, that is true. I'll never understand why some people think English audio is always inferior to Japanese audio. Do even half of these people even understand Japanese audio without English subtitles?

To be quite honest, that's exactly why some people prefer Japanese, because they don't speak it. With English, you know the language, so you can tell when someone is acting poorly. If you don't know Japanese, poor voice acting is hard to pick out, so it doesn't bother you as much. And then there's the problem of if a show is ingrained with Japanese words and what not, especially untranslatable ones, then pronunciation can come off strangely. I'd say the best dubs are ones for shows that don't place in Japan, aside from Samurai Champloo.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I like how none of you can accept that people (like myself) can not stand spoken English in Japanese animation.Must everything be in English? Is this some sort of "me too" domination crap that you are born with? People on ANN,that are fan of Dubs have written before that they hate subtitles.Why? Because they don't get to multitask if they have to read a sub?(Really? ADD much?) That's some nice appreciation you have for the Japanese animation artform.It would be nice if you at least payed attention to the labor of these underpaid animators.

Then again I'm probably talking to the no appreciation generation of anime fans,that came from the TV boom of 2000.English all the way,huh. Well shit,you don't know any better. Laughing Try smiling once in a while.Jesus. After all Spice and Wolf is on it's way.

$100 says they say Horo>Holo like hologram.Can't wait. Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I like how none of you can accept that people (like myself) can not stand spoken English in Japanese animation.Must everything be in English? Is this some sort of "me too" domination crap that you are born with? People on ANN,that are fan of Dubs have written before that they hate subtitles.Why? Because they don't get to multitask if they have to read a sub?(Really? ADD much?) That's some nice appreciation you have for the Japanese animation artform.It would be nice if you at least payed attention to the labor of these underpaid animators.

Please explain what difference the audio track you listen to makes to the animators?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, a good question Shiroi Hane. As I reflect on anime as a medium it is a form that is meant to be watched not read, so subtitles in any form are a detraction from the experience, because regardless of how fast of a reader I am, my eyes are drawn to where the subtitles are, thus missing where the director/animators wanted my eyes to be. Does this negate the original language? Of course not, but I don't understand it so as one person has pointed out, if one is unfamiliar with the language you wouldn't know if they were giving the performance of a lifetime or just going halfway in their performance. Si with that in mind I'm closer with a good dub than I am with the best subtitles could be in watching what the animators/directors intended unless I myself wanted to learn the intricacies of another language (which for me seems to be a bit much to ask to enjoy entertainment) If I want to read I'll get a novel or comic as they are meant to be read.

To this series in question I'll need to wait and hear more to make a decision.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Mon May 25, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wait there is ecchi in K-On, I have seen more ecchi in Saki then K-On, and thats about Mahjong.

There's a fair bit of good ol' "panchira" (panty shots) in the manga, but the corresponding shots in the anime are tamer and mostly cropped.

The past two episodes have had cosplay scenes, though. Some people find that "fetish-y", though I don't know if you can say "ecchi".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
DPX wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
randomanimefan wrote:

Let's be realistic here. Subbies would bash the English dub simply because it's in English. Regardless of how good or bad the Japanese voices were.

Too true. Personally, I think that the main reason (other than fanatical "it's Japanese so it must be better") that makes it so that many people who watch a show subbed think that the English is inferior is simply because it's different from what they're used to. A change in actor always changes things and people's first reaction to change is usually that it's bad - even if in the long run they come to decide that it's better (whatever that change may be). Add a change in language on top of that, and the feel of the series can be quite different, resulting a very large change for people to react negatively to. Whether it's actually better or worse, it's different, so it seems worse - at least at first. Fortunately, DVDs allow us to choose whether we want to watch shows subbed or dubbed, so those who prefer subs can watch the subs, and those who want to watch the dub can watch the dub.

In any case, I'll be looking forward to see how Horo gets played in English. However she turns out, it's bound to be different from the way she was in Japanese, so it'll be interesting to see if they can manage something of a similar level. I sure hope so. Regardless, however, it's great that it's been licensed.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
It's about time!!

Now to see who gets to be the voices. Let the debate begin.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
As I reflect on anime as a medium it is a form that is meant to be watched not read, so subtitles in any form are a detraction from the experience
You need to watch more anime with subtitles.Eventually you won't even notice the four to six words posted quickly on the screen.You can't tell me from those lengthy posts of yours,that can't keep up with a quick splash of text.BS.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Please explain what difference the audio track you listen to makes to the animators?
Naze watashitachi ha, sureddo wo betsuno 20 pe^ji ni iku kotogadekimasuka?

Kalessin wrote:
Add a change in language on top of that, and the feel of the series can be quite different, resulting a very large change for people to react negatively to. Whether it's actually better or worse, it's different, so it seems worse - at least at first.
It's like oil and water,pal.Been that way for a while.Dub mob control rules,so the hated sub fans do their own thing.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Netstryke wrote:
It's about time!!

Now to see who gets to be the voices. Let the debate begin.

As in who is going to the sacrificial altar to play Holo. No matter how good of a job she does, she is doomed to be shredded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10