• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
[EDIT: Content replace due to trolling-type contents. - Key]

So, i'm trolling but the guys above me aren't ?
Or is it because i refuse to type 1000 words on every post?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf,

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I felt that Light was already a bad apple, though I would agree that giving him power made it worse.

Anyway, the problem with this thread is when someone answers the OP and states something is overrated, there is almost inevitably going to be someone who really likes the anime mentioned and will defend it passionately. Hopefully folks will calm down and stop making everything so personal, otherwise I think the tread will end up getting locked.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
To assess my top 10 overrated anime I've compared the top 100 shows according to the ANN Bayesian estimate with my own rankings. Naturally I can only rate those anime I've seen. Please note, before you hate me totally, I didn't rate any of these titles as bad - the worst is so-so. Starting with the most overrated...

1. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
My rating: so-so (5); ANN bayesian: 8.49; overrating: 3.49

It seems to me that the those people who rate this franchise highly have a different set of rating values to me. Everything about Evangelion screams adolescent to me. The giant robots are giggle inducing; the fights are shounen brawls; the heroes are forever pulling rabbits out of hats to defeat the angels; the kids are offensive and boring; the adults are put there to be adolescent hate objects; and the military strategies are bizarre to say the least.

The signature moment is when Shinji, frightened by a penquin in Katsuragi's flat, runs naked from the bathroom. From the camera viewpoint his genitals are covered by a can of beer. Katsuragi removes the can of beer to reveal a slightly smaller snack jar. That scene had me cringing, what with the penguin and the juvenile humour. Thereafter, the sense that the creators were insulting me never went away.

At least the latest films are cutting back on the time spent with Shinji and Rei; making both of them bearable.

2. Hellsing Ultimate
My rating: so-so (5); ANN bayesian: 8.40; overrating: 3.40

Horror doesn't usually work well with animation. It's hard to get horrified or terrified by drawn characters. The usual routes in anime horror are creepiness or excess. Hellsing tries the latter. It doesn't work. It isn't horrific, funny or clever. It's just excessive. And it falls back on using Nazis as villains. Boring.

3. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
My rating: decent (6); ANN bayesian: 8.90; overrating: 2.90

I saw this at the cinema and found the fight scenes reasonably entertaining. The foreshadowing of the instrumentality project towards the end is silly, though.

4. Death Note
My rating: decent (6); ANN bayesian: 8.81; overrating: 2.81

I was mesmerised for about 7 episodes, enjoyed it until Light allowed himself to be imprisoned (minus his memory of being Kira); was mildly interested until the L v Light rivalry was resolved; and hung around just to see what happened to Light even though, by then, I was bored out of my brain. Re-watching the early episodes didn't resuscitate my earlier enjoyment. Only worth one watch.

5. Howl's Moving Castle
My rating: decent (6); ANN bayesian: 8.56; overrating: 2.56

I first saw this at the cinema but it didn't help it any. The plot is all over the place, the characters are dull, and the scenario isn't all that well laid out. My least favourite Miyazaki film. I enjoyed Tales from Earthsea more, despite its faults.

6. The Beast Player Erin
My rating: decent (6); ANN bayesian: 8.51; overrating: 2.51

This 50-odd episode series has a great main character, a distinctive visual style and a worthwhile scenario. Catch is, it just goes for about 25 episodes too many. The pace stops to a crawl for episode after episode. Cutting out half the episodes and two of the characters could make this an exceptional anime.

7. Samurai Champloo
My rating: decent (6); ANN bayesian: 8.46; overrating: 2.46

The most boring anime OP I know (by Mamoru Hosoda of all people) sets the tone for a series that never, ever comes close to Watanabe's earlier goldmine, Cowboy Bebop. The three leads - Mugen, Jin and Fu - never caught my imagination so that, being episodic in nature, the series continually lurches from one pointless situation to another.

8. Clannad After Story
My rating: good (7); ANN bayesian: 9.06; overrating: 2.06

This highly uneven series is, on balance, not quite as good as the first season. The high school episodes are a waste of time before it picks up with Nagisa's and Tomoya's struggle to create a life together after graduation and reaches a brief period of magnificence in three episodes (from when we first meet Ushio to when Tomoya's father is re-united with Tomoya's grandmother). Then it falls in a heap. There's nothing wrong with a happy ending but this one is so contrived and so unconvincing that it undermines the previous good work. What I would have liked to see would be Ushio pushing Tomoya to pursue a relationship with one of the women he should have wound up with: Kyou or Tomoyo (but I'm shipping, aren't I?)

9. Princess Mononoke
My rating: good (7); ANN bayesian: 8.86; overrating: 1.86

This is a very long movie. Or, at least, it always seems that way. In terms of visuals, plot and character it gets less and less interesting the further into the movie you go. The second half is comparatively drab, the headless monster just doesn't work and, worst of all, San and Ashitaka are probably Miyazaki's least interesting protagonists (the duo from Howl's Moving Castle would give them a run for their money, though).

10. 5 Centimetres per Second
My rating: good (7); ANN bayesian: 8.81; overrating: 1.81

It looks nice, there's a memorable train journey from hell, and I liked Kanae, the female protagonist in the middle story. Otherwise it's a bit of an emotional con.

I'm currently about 12 episodes into Great Teacher Onizuka. Unless it gets substantially better it will end up close to the top of this list.

For the record, here's the rest of my overratings for the ANN Bayesian top 100. If the score is negative then I rate the anime higher than the Bayesian. If it isn't listed then I haven't seen it.

Grave of the Fireflies (movie) 1.68
Clannad (TV) 1.56
Planetes (TV) 1.52
Castle in the Sky (movie) 1.46
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV) 1.41
(La) Maison en Petits Cubes (movie) 1.41
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War (movie) 1.40
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OAV) 0.97
(The) Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (movie) 0.96
Cowboy Bebop (TV) 0.90
Usagi Drop (TV) 0.83
Monster (TV) 0.75
Nodame Cantabile (TV) 0.74
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) 0.72
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (movie) 0.65
(The) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV) 0.61
My Neighbor Totoro (movie) 0.60
Kino's Journey (TV) 0.60
Welcome to the NHK (TV) 0.47
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie 0.40
Nodame Cantabile: Paris (TV) 0.39
Spirited Away (movie) -0.10
Summer Wars (movie) -0.18
(The) Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie) -0.26
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (TV) -0.33
Baccano! (TV) -0.34
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (TV) -0.46
Angel Beats! (TV) -0.48
Whisper of the Heart (movie) -0.48
Haibane Renmei (TV) -0.56
Mushi-Shi (TV) -1.18
Eve no Jikan (ONA) -1.34
Time of Eve (movie) -1.35
Millennium Actress (movie) -1.46
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit (TV) -1.49
Aria the Origination (TV) -1.57

Generally, I think the Bayesian ranking system is quite good, allowing for a wide variety of judgements and tastes. I also like the way it gives each contributor a credibility rating that effects their ratings. This is good in that it counters people who vote strategically. Does Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal really deserve all the worst ever ratings it has received?

[Edit] Somehow Grave of the Fireflies got left out.
[Edit] And Summer Wars.

Last edited by Errinundra on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Does the Bayesian average account for the credibility scores? The formula doesn't look like it factors that in, I thought just the weighted average did that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Bayesian doesn't account for users who rate either too highly or too lowly. An example. Weighted Average does, but doesn't account for small sample noise like Bayesian does. Looking at both is better than looking at one or the other, although I tend to favour Bayesian, just because.

Of course, both still have Clannad After Story in first place and other titles in the top ten that I don't agree should be there, so neither system is what I'd consider fair. I'm hardly alone in thinking that either.

I like errinundra's more methodical approach to determining what is overrated, I may just do something like that too. But later; I have Anime to watch.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...I may just do something like that too. But later; I have Anime to watch.

So much anime. So little time. Sad

It didn't take all that long to do. Excel is a handy tool (and I'm not talking about that other Excel - the motormouth, you know).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7