• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merkatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thought that The Flake might've raved about anime on television, because as far as I know broadcasted anime is usually shown dubbed... IN AMERICA. He/She/It didn't say anything about buying or boycotting DVDs. Ofcourse, in that case, The Flaker would be very misguided individual who blames this to all anime companies.

But if he was raving about DVDs... well, that would be just silly.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Firstly, they don't wait til all the manga's out, because they want/need to make an anime adaptation when the series is at it's most marketable - strike while the iron is hot, kinda thing.

I kind of figured that. It doesn't mean I can't be hopeful, though. Anime smile

To be honest, I haven't even finished (or in some cases started) alot of the shows I was thinking of. I've just constantly seen these complaints and it irked me a smidge.

Quote:
Secondly, on directors making up their own endings or reimagining a series - both the original mangaka and the fanbase may want an accurate adaptation.

I didn't say they should always re-imagine something. Its just that if its going to turn out extremely different in the end anyway, might as well go the whole nine yards. I would happily welcome accurate adaptations.

Quote:
There are many more examples of directors trying to add their own andings and screwing up royally. E.g. Whole lotta stuff by Gonzo.

The only Gonzo show based on a manga I can think of off the top of my head is "Black Cat," and while I haven't read the whole manga, I loved those last few episodes. It seems that whenever the majority of fans of something I like as well say something sucks, I tend to like it. How else could "The Final Frontier" be one of my favorite "Star Trek" movies?

And something I just considered: If it is different, the important thing is that it maintains the general feel of its source material. In this respect, comedies can probably get away with being different more than most other genres. All you really need is the same setup that starts the story, the same characters, and the same formula that makes it funny. If they're both handled well, does it really matter if the jokes are different?

Last edited by DRWii on Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
That flake just doesn't get it. Some anime fans just don't like reading subtitles. That's why we have dubs. And actually, IMHO, some dubs are actually worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Nothing will ever beat FREE, except for a good ol' fashioned dose of willpower and discipline.

I stopped watching fansubs---even VHS ones---years ago because I've discovered that I enjoy my anime MORE, when the video quality is pretty, near-perfect and sound just blows me out of the water. When I popped in that first volume of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I had a ridiculously stupid grin on my face. I was happy I chose not to allow my "first blush" of the series to have come from the cable airings or internet downloads.

Furthermore, waiting doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch new shows that have premiered in Japan, but I'd like to watch them at the finest picture quality available. I'm willing to wait months or years for that. It's not like there aren't dozens of anime or entertaining shows available NOW that I can watch in the meantime.

Yes. There are many anime titles out there that MAY or may not see a release in R1. I can't help but think of some of the titles JSevakis shares in his column or shows like Yokohama Shopping Log.

Even then, I still wait. It's not like I have the right to see every anime that's every been made, as ass-kickingly cool as that would be. But if it's not available in the format or presentation I desire (DVD), I'll wait or just do without. It sucks, but that's the choice I made. I'm happy to stand by it and I'm still having fun with the fandom, even after all these years.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Death of Rantx3: Awwww… God bless his soul.

Endings: I haven’t watched Inuyasha, but I know what the guy is talking about. It’s just that I don’t agree with what he’s saying. I mean, listen to what the fans are saying? Fans of one anime can still have different opinions.

Rewatching: I don’t really rewatch, and if something I really like I’ll rewatch it. One anime I said I can watch for a 100 times (or more) was Ouran. Didn’t happen. I got tired of it when I watched it for 3 times.

Clubs: I joined this club in my university. It’s called NKK or Nihon Kenkyu Kai. It’s not only an anime club, it’s also a Japan appreciation club. Last week they were going to have a sumo wrestling exhibition, but it was cancelled because of the typhoon. I’m not active though.

Anyway, it became really popular because it’s not strictly for anime fans. I know a lot of people who don’t watch anime but loves j-music, j-drama, etc.

Flake: The flake misspelled companies (companys) and why (whuy). Probably one of the reasons why some anime are dubbed in english is cause people like you who can’t speak/spell in English properly will have even more trouble when it comes to Japanese.

Hey Answerfans!: OK.. I’ll bite..

Here’s my answer, but I think it’s too short to put in an email, and it’s not that good.

I don’t download fansubs. I have someone else to do it for me. Too lazy for that. What will it take for me to stop asking someone else to download fansubs for me? Cheaper DVDs for Filipino masses, and better Tagalog dubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Zac has access to the Nielson ratings and all the other stuff that John would as well.

ANN gets the Nielson ratings Shocked. Good Lord, that must of cost them a pretty penny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Confused Wow... I don't know why, but the majority of "I'd stop getting fansubs if DVDs were cheaper/free" comments tick me off.

Honestly people, get a job or something. If you don't like the price of Japanese DVDs, wait until a show is licensed to buy it. If it never gets licensed, suck it up and buy the Japanese DVD if you love the show so much.

I guess really it just shocks/ticks me off cause I was expecting to come here and see comments from people that would more fit my response:

Things getting licensed sooner.

I know someone will come and say I'm a hypocrit for my comments, but I'm not. Because the shows I've downloaded in the past (I don't anymore because heck if I know what's even out nowdays, though I did, so my opinion isn't completely null and void) I also bough the Japanese DVDs of, the only reason I downloaded fansubs was to know what was going on in the shows because obviously Japanese DVDs don't come with subtitles. I even have bought the US releases of these shows whenever they got licensed, regardless of already owning the shows.

But maybe I'm just an extreme example.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Nothing will ever beat FREE, except for a good ol' fashioned dose of willpower and discipline.

I stopped watching fansubs---even VHS ones---years ago because I've discovered that I enjoy my anime MORE, when the video quality is pretty, near-perfect and sound just blows me out of the water. When I popped in that first volume of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I had a ridiculously stupid grin on my face. I was happy I chose not to allow my "first blush" of the series to have come from the cable airings or internet downloads.

Furthermore, waiting doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch new shows that have premiered in Japan, but I'd like to watch them at the finest picture quality available. I'm willing to wait months or years for that. It's not like there aren't dozens of anime or entertaining shows available NOW that I can watch in the meantime.

Yes. There are many anime titles out there that MAY or may not see a release in R1. I can't help but think of some of the titles JSevakis shares in his column or shows like Yokohama Shopping Log.

Even then, I still wait. It's not like I have the right to see every anime that's every been made, as ass-kickingly cool as that would be. But if it's not available in the format or presentation I desire (DVD), I'll wait or just do without. It sucks, but that's the choice I made. I'm happy to stand by it and I'm still having fun with the fandom, even after all these years.

In terms of quality, there are some shows in which the quality of animation is not expected to be spectacular, such as Bleach, Naruto Shippuden, or other shonen jump titles. And I assume that the majority of people who watch fansubs mostly download Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Confused Wow... I don't know why, but the majority of "I'd stop getting fansubs if DVDs were cheaper/free" comments tick me off.

Honestly people, get a job or something. If you don't like the price of Japanese DVDs, wait until a show is licensed to buy it. If it never gets licensed, suck it up and buy the Japanese DVD if you love the show so much.

I guess really it just shocks/ticks me off cause I was expecting to come here and see comments from people that would more fit my response:

I know someone will come and say I'm a hypocrit for my comments, but I'm not. Because the shows I've downloaded in the past (I don't anymore because heck if I know what's even out nowdays, though I did, so my opinion isn't completely null and void) I also bough the Japanese DVDs of, the only reason I downloaded fansubs was to know what was going on in the shows because obviously Japanese DVDs don't come with subtitles. I even have bought the US releases of these shows whenever they got licensed, regardless of already owning the shows.

It could also be because of the availabaity and accessibility of anime in certain locations. In Oak Ridges, Ontario, I have not seen or have no knowledge of any anime store location. So embarassingly, these are my only alternatives to buy anime:

1. Hope there is an anime DVD I like in Wall-Mart Embarassed

2. Go to the nearest HMV, which is far away from my place, and the HMV only has a small anime section

3. Wait for the next anime convention, which is AnimeNorth

Of course, I am only one person out the rest of people who download, so I can't speak for the rest.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mohawk52:

In your attempt to be incredibly witty, you've overlooked the fact that there are obviously major differences between complaining because I don't like parts of Zacs coulmn, and people getting angry because I posted my complaints.
There's no blinder a person then the one who just won't see.

Zac wrote:
You don't like it, stop reading it, but don't come in here and pull this crap again. I realize you have big problems with me and have attacked me personally on many occasions, and you're not happy with the column. Fine. Stop reading it.

ikillchicken wrote:
Okay...I'm just gonna have to take a minute here to get over the shock of being compared to a Japanese Junior High Bully Girl. I didn't exactly see that kinda thing coming. Sorry for "Bullying" poor little Zac and the rest of you. If my dissent is fine, why don't all of you quit bitching about my complaints. I said what I had to say. If you guys enjoy this stuff or disagree, get over it and just ignore it.
Spot the difference.

It seems to you that it's alright for you to act defensive, but not anyone else when you're being offensive. You must be a very young person in mind if not in physical age. Just bite your lip, take Zac's advice, and move on.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
It could also be because of the availabaity and accessibility of anime in certain locations. In Oak Ridges, Ontario, I have not seen or have no knowledge of any anime store location. So embarassingly, these are my only alternatives to buy anime:

1. Hope there is an anime DVD I like in Wall-Mart Embarassed

2. Go to the nearest HMV, which is far away from my place, and the HMV only has a small anime section

3. Wait for the next anime convention, which is AnimeNorth

Of course, I am only one person out the rest of people who download, so I can't speak for the rest.

Couldn't you buy online at something like Rightstuf? I'm pretty sure they ship to Canada...
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Well you don't live in the Philippines. Imported DVDs are really expensive.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There's no blinder a person then the one who just won't see.

Oh wow that was soooo incredibly clever, and the best part is that you get to sound like you have some snappy response. Yeah, you sure showed me. Congrats.

Quote:
Spot the difference.

1) I have actual complaints. Actual specific points as to what I have issues with in Zacs column. All you people complaining arent even offering a counter arguement as to why Im wrong. Youre just whining that I shouldnt complain.

2) My comments are just some post on a forum. If you dissagree with em, it doesnt really make any difference. Zacs column is something that he writes for the entertainment of people who read it. Also its something he's gonna keep writing each week. I mean come on, you can at least see the differences between complaining about something in an article and complaining about someone complaing about something right?

Was that so hard to spot? Your quote makes it sound like it was. I guess "There's no blinder a person then the one who just won't see." Yay, now I get to sount all clever and "show you".

Quote:
You must be a very young person in mind if not in physical age.

Oh wow a personal insult, owch. But ofcourse, its okay for you to resort to that because youve got the moral highground here right?

Quote:
Just bite your lip, take Zac's advice, and move on.

Oh yes, I've been down this road before. The old "telling me to just let it go when you also refuse to let it go" but ofcourse, its once again, its fine for you to refuse to let this go because youve got the moral high ground.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
Now normally I'd agree that the "lolcats" (I've never heard them called that before) are, for the most part, not funny. But there are some that are truly awesome; like this one:

Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, that one certainly makes me laugh! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9