• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Not too bad this season~

Will Watch
Un-Go: Because Noitamin A is awesome!
Guilty Crown: Maybe the first three episodes but I might get hook to this show.
Hunter X Hunter the remake: I never saw the original but I can't wait to see the updated version.
Kimi to Boku: I really want to read the manga but I'll gladly watch the show!
Mirai Nikki: Sounds interesting so I'll watch the first three episodes.
Sekai Ichi Hatsuki Season 2: I'm a yaoi fangirl, I liked S. 1, so why not? ^___^

Will Not Watch
Everything else but especially Chibi Devil. Evil or Very Mad
At first, it sounded promising.
Quote:
...In the manga, Honoka Sawada is a shy 14-year-old atheist who gets bullied in school.

Wow! First, a mature, touching, and quite lovely manga about transgenders in Wandering Son now one about an atheist? Very Happy

Quote:

..until one day, when an infant devil gets dropped off in her room while she sleeps.

...WTF?!?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
Quote:
In the past she underwent gender reassignment surgery in order to succeed the family name, but certain circumstances forced her to stop the process part way. Her lack of breasts is a result of the surgery, but Tori treats her as a girl with tiny boobs.

I don't usually throw myself into debates but when I read this I took it he was treating her that way as an attempt to not alienate her. I could be wrong and just be thinking to positively about it though.

And I'd have no problems with that and would even consider it somewhat sweet and thoughtful if the character identifies as female and wasn't completely consenting to the reassignment. If they identify as male, it's still very gross.

But it's the "with tiny boobs" that raises my hackles and alarm. The juxtaposition of such a phrase with the reasons WHY is tasteless. Then there's the added context of the truly ludicrous knockers on every other woman in the concept art.

All the fan service is what ultimately turns me off of this show. Mainly the "ludicrous knockers". But I was wondering, if the phrase was "with small breasts" instead of "with tiny boobs" would it have been less cause for alarm?

Last edited by pajmo9 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everything looks enjoyable this season. One of the best seasons for a long time. 30+ shows of greatness.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
B-but what about the new Lupin series they announced... *cries*
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

All the fan service is what ultimately turns me off of this show. Mainly the "ludicrous knockers". But I was wondering, if the phrase was "with small breasts" instead of "with tiny boobs" would it have been less cause for alarm?

Not really. I'd still give it a pretty severe sideways glance because it's still defining a woman by her chest size. Granted, that's a slightly classier way of phrasing it, but it's still tacky and dubious.

If it's trying to convey that the main character respects her identity despite some of her physical changes, there's really no point in referencing her breasts at all. Why bother when "but Tori treats her as a girl" covers the same information without the unfortunate connotations?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Not much interests me strongly this season. I know I'll like Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing- (And I'm quite glad that Funimation has already licensed it!).

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere looks like I could love it, but also like it could hate it. The character designs are so awesome, but I'm extremely wary of the plot. I still don't get how the heck the premise is supposed to work, in any sort of logically consistent way. But then again, I've read plenty of excellent far-future SF novels which would sound just as strange boiled down to a paragraph (Like Superluminal's "Puppy-like SUV that can travel through space changes the course of solar civil war"...but it still makes perfect sense). And the main character looks kind of annoying. It looks like the sort of show I'd love, but...I still remember feeling that way about Infinite Stratos, but eventually hating it.

Guilty Crown looks like a generic shounen show...how is this on Noitamina?

Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Quote:
...In the manga, Honoka Sawada is a shy 14-year-old atheist who gets bullied in school.

Wow! First, a mature, touching, and quite lovely manga about transgenders in Wandering Son now one about an atheist? Very Happy

Quote:

..until one day, when an infant devil gets dropped off in her room while she sleeps.

...WTF?!?

Even if it was a serious story, being about an atheist child in Japan is extremely different than being about an atheist child in the US. "According to James Killian, between 64% and 80% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers." (link) So, it's not like some sort of afterschool-special, dramatic topic.

rowsdower wrote:
...Not really. I'd still give it a pretty severe sideways glance because it's still defining a woman by her chest size. Granted, that's a slightly classier way of phrasing it, but it's still tacky and dubious.

If it's trying to convey that the main character respects her identity despite some of her physical changes, there's really no point in referencing her breasts at all. Why bother when "but Tori treats her as a girl" covers the same information without the unfortunate connotations?

Such a show could spend decades in penance and contemplation, without coming anywhere near acceptance from you. I mean, they directly set out to objectify women. They can't really get around that.

Anyways, within the context of the show's audience and it's marketing, the size of her breasts are a serious concern; and it's a distinguishing characteristic.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
C³ and Phi Brain didn't look all that impressive though I will probably catch an episode or two of them anyways.

I'm a Gundam fan so I'm excited for AGE though I'm not fond of the character designs. I do like the concept of following a particular famiy's use of the Gundam. Kind of wish it was going to be more than 50 episodes considering the 100 years time frame. I suspect they chose it to leave open the possibility of movies and ovas.

Phi Brain: Agree, but having a character with the name "Ana Gram" sure does tempt me so.
Gundam AGE: Mega Man meets Escaflowne, with a Captain Harlock cameo... in spaaaaace! It can't really be this bad, right?
Horizon: no real interest.
Un-Go: pass.
C3: might be worth an episode or three.
Others: a few look to be of interest, but far too many tease with ".com" sites that have nought but a scant touch of English. Last Exile providing the cuelest twist of the knife. Will have to see how they shake out, but automatic skips on any returning franchises... they are either already in or out.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:

I guess the description is misleading, she doesn't get bullied because she is an atheist (which is really nothing special in Japan), but because she is shy and weak and can't speak up for herself. The series doesn't even really establish her character as an atheist, just the average "having a doubt".
This is really just a cute shojo comedy series for children.

rowsdower wrote:
it's still defining a woman by her chest size.

Something a lot of animes are doing all the time. I guess you can just savely skip all these series, usually they're just fanservice for otaku and nothing more.

Melanchthon wrote:
People have been bitching that noitaminA sold out to the otaku with by doing a Black Rock Shooter show next season. These people don't realize that noitaminA already sold out to the otaku crowd with this show.

Enough people have realized. Fractale already was full of otakuness and AnoHana managed to please the moe-crowd, leading to bikini-Menma-figurines -_- while No. 6 and very likely Un-Go as well please the fujoshi.

Overall, this looks like a very weak season, yet again.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
Everything looks pretty bland this season after Tiger and Bunny, at least Mawaru Penguin Drum and Nurarihyon season 2 is still continuing.

Will probably try:
Un-Go: Sucker for nice character designs but wary of the mystery plot being as easy to work out as Gosick.
Guilty Crown: Animation looks awesome and some awesome seiyuus, hopefully the plot doesn't turn into a convoluted mess.
Kimi to Boku: Never actually watched K-on style slice of life but this might be a good start.
HunterxHunter: Loved the original series and looking forward to this reboot
Gundam Age: At first I was skeptical about the young character designs but the generation spanning storyline suggests this won't be as big a problem as I initially thought. In addition there's an old school charm there.
Chayafuya: Will just check it out since it looks a bit different. Hoping it'll turn out to be a good shojo (josei?) gem.
Fate/Zero: Never watched Fate/Stay Night but like Gen Urobuchi's style. Praying that it's not so mired in Nasuverse mythos that it's unaccessible to outsiders.
Persona4: Heard good things about the game
Mirai Nikki: Heard good things about the manga
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi: Not many BL anime around. Beggars can't be choosers.

Phi-Brain, Boku Tomo and Horizon are presumed dropped unless reviews say otherwise. Especially Horizon since I never could get into the light novel style of willy-nilly genre mixing, though the main character does remind me of Italy (from Hetalia) somehow...
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Will Not Watch

How can you not watch Fate/Zero? It is one of the most high budget shows out there, it would be a waste if you don't at least watch the first episode.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like Squid Girl is the first to leak in CR's Fall lineup.

Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Will Not Watch

How can you not watch Fate/Zero? It is one of the most high budget shows out there, it would be a waste if you don't at least watch the first episode.

Because I haven't seen the original! ^__^

I'm not watching Fate/Zero because I think it's bad or anything. I would be lost in the story-line and not appreciate it like a true fan. I haven't seen Bakuman or Squid Girl so I'm not going to watch their sequels either!

einhorn303 wrote:

Even if it was a serious story, being about an atheist child in Japan is extremely different than being about an atheist child in the US. "According to James Killian, between 64% and 80% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers." (link) So, it's not like some sort of afterschool-special, dramatic topic.

(O_O) I seriously had no clue. I just learned something new. Anime hyper Thank you!!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed it out yet but the summary for Fate/Zero is wrong. Fate/Stay Night depicts the fifth Holy Grail War, not the fourth, which is the one shown in Fate/Zero.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
has big boobs, and loves meat.
Says it all. The winds that blew in spring are still blowing in autumn. Rolling Eyes The only one that has caused a bit if interest in me is Last Exile. The rest would be either rentals, or complete rejection. Also was not having a link to the review from this thread a deliberate thing?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, nothing on KHR:Generation X yet? Guess not until winter then huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11