• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
Rumiko's Takahashi's works tend to get a lot of hate for that kind of stuff in the west.
She's like one of the most popular shonen manga artists in the West and probably the most famous woman mangaka with American fans besides Naoko Takeuchi. People said the same things about the Urusei Yatsura reboot and nothing happened. Urusei Yatsura got more complaints from weebs for censoring nipples than about anything dated about the show.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Urusei Yatsura got more complaints from weebs for censoring nipples than about anything dated about the show.

And I'm sure it'll happen with Ranma. I would be more surprised if there was nudity in the remake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
light turner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
She's like one of the most popular shonen manga artists in the West and probably the most famous woman mangaka with American fans besides Naoko Takeuchi.

A creator being popular doesn't stop them from being criticized or attacked. If anything it just makes them a bigger target. Akira Toriyama was a legend but plenty of people felt the week of his passing was the right time to air their grievances with the man and the content in his series.

Either way, there's already discourse on social media about both Happosai and the gender stuff so it's not really a question of "if" discourse happens but "how bad will it be". For example there's people already arguing if they should bring back the legacy English actors like Yahashime did or recast Ranma to have a trans actor including calls from some industry voice actors themselves.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
All this is why I hope HiDive gets it, because it will be relatively buried there.

I’m not a fan of the series, especially since spoiler[ it’s yet another Rumiko punch out ending where nothing is fixed and nothing is resolved by the end so you feel like you wasted your time.]

Now add all the discourse and I can only hope the show isn’t given a large platform.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
creator being popular doesn't stop them from being criticized or attacked. If anything it just makes them a bigger target. Akira Toriyama was a legend but plenty of people felt the week of his passing was the right time to air their grievances with the man and the content in his series.

Either way, there's already discourse on social media about both Happosai and the gender stuff so it's not really a question of "if" discourse happens but "how bad will it be". For example there's people already arguing if they should bring back the legacy English actors like Yahashime did or recast Ranma to have a trans actor including calls from some industry voice actors themselves.
Ok and? Being a popular creator doesn’t make someone immune from criticism and as long as people aren’t harassing anyone they have the free speech to say what they want to about a cartoon. All the Ranma discourse feels like people online inventing someone to get mad about.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
All this is why I hope HiDive gets it, because it will be relatively buried there.

Viz retweeted the announcement tweet so it's likely going to them.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:44 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
The biggest question mark is once [Viz] start doing the English Dub for the new Ranma anime is wether they will use Vancouver, Canada for the new series just like the original anime dub or will it be recorded in Los Angeles with a brand new voice cast in Los Angeles (Studiopolis, Bang Zoom!) over the original Vancouver cast?

Or will it be remote like Yashahime?

I'm not sure if it will be remote recording like Yashahime, cause if the Japanese version does utilize a brand new voice cast then I expect the same thing for the English dub for the new voice cast and honestly other than David Kaye possibly reprising as Soun Tendo, I'm not expecting any of the original voice cast from Vancouver to reprise their roles (unless they want to) considering they don't do as much anime dubbing and are pretty much retired from dubbing and voiceover.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
...or recast Ranma to have a trans actor including calls from some industry voice actors themselves.

Why the demand for a transgender VA - would being transgender somehow improve the voicing of the part? Confused

Two different VAs voicing Ranma depending on what temperature of water he has been most recently exposed to should be considered.

Edit: I forgot that was how they actually did it during the original run.

Last edited by Piglet the Grate on Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Obviously cause they are going to want to push and change the character into a trans character LOL. You get a trans VA and you can then proceed to claim it's a trans character.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Gimme what I want, what I really, really want! I want Herb, I want Herb, I want Herb. I really, really, really, really want Herb!
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Obviously cause they are going to want to push and change the character into a trans character LOL. You get a trans VA and you can then proceed to claim it's a trans character.

Now I am even more confused since changing Ranma to be transgender would affect the relationships with Akane Tendo, Shampoo, Mousse, Tatewaki Kuno, Kodachi Kuno, Ryoga Hibiki, Ukyo Kuonji, Tsubasa Kurenai, Azusa Shiratori, and Mikado Sanzenin among others. Could it even stay the same story at that point? Seems like every manga chapter would have to be highly altered in the anime adaption for it to make any sense.

Furthermore, what does Rumiko Takahashi think of the idea of "transgender Ranma" and would she sign off on it?
pushknife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Great wrote:
Now I am even more confused since changing Ranma to be transsexual would affect the relationships with Akane Tendo, Shampoo, Mousse, Tatewaki Kuno, Kodachi Kuno, Ryoga Hibiki, Ukyo Kuonji, Tsubasa Kurenai, Azusa Shiratori, and Mikado Sanzenin among others. Could it even stay the same story at that point? Seems like every manga chapter would have to be highly altered in the anime adaption for it to make any sense.

It's not like anime and manga localizations haven't made tons of changes in the past before. It's not hard to rewrite the dialog in a show to be about something else entirely. Not that too long ago we had the Lovely Complex dub.. As far as what the original creator thinks it probably doesn't matter much. Plenty of characters get head-cannoned certain ways by people even when the actual creator directly tells them they're wrong.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:13 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Gimme what I want, what I really, really want! I want Herb, I want Herb, I want Herb. I really, really, really, really want Herb!

You ruined my day by reminding me of that horrible 1990s song. Sad

pushknife wrote:
...As far as what the original creator thinks it probably doesn't matter much. Plenty of characters get head-cannoned certain ways by people even when the actual creator directly tells them they're wrong.

One would think that Takahashi would be in a position to veto adaption changes, since she is far from needing an anime adaptation made (unlike a new or struggling mangaka).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:17 am Reply with quote
There were absolutely fanfic writers who ran with the "Ranma as a trans egg" concept, back in the days when it was the 800-lb drowned gorilla in anime fandom. And even the ones who didn't go all the way in that direction still often gave him arcs about accepting femininity more.

Side note, while writing this I got distracted, wandered to Wikipedia, and discovered that Masako Nozawa voiced Princess Ozma in the 1986 Wizard of Oz anime, less than a year after she'd started playing Goku. Ha. (I got to that topic from remembering a Ranma fic where Ranma turns out to have been born a girl and gotten the Tip treatment -- because Genma sucks, of course -- and the Jusenkyo curse was interfering with and slowly unraveling the old one. IIRC, this interaction also had the side effect of making Ranma, per traditional fanwank, a metaphysical chaos magnet.)
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
Well, its pretty obvious what will happen in this adaptation using UY remake as an example. And it will get worse online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11