• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:14 am Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
... Does a giant wolf god even have humors in the way they believe humans do? I'm pretty sure the ancient and wise Holo knows more about the functioning of her mystical body than he does...
On the latter, probably right! What he was extoling were the temperaments which comprised a highly modified theory of medicine due to Galen and not the purely humoral (liquids) theory of Hippocrates. Galen was concerned with the link between feelings, diet and the qualities of the environment (hot/cold/wet/dry) which had connection with the humors which were produced by these but didn't have the causal relation that Hippocrates proposed. Schaeffer's book "Veterinary hematoscopy in late antiquity" and other texts indicates that humoral medical theory was applied to animals as well from Greek and Roman times onward.

I'd propose the appropriate temperaments for Holo the Wolf/Human Hybrid that we observe are
1. Angry-not nearly enough wine/apples/(attention from)Lawrence
2. Sassy- good balance of Lawrence and wine
3. Sad- not enough Lawrence or apples, too much Nora
4. Happy-enough Lawrence/apples

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
Only one short story, unless you count chapter 1 of Vol 17 (it´s the official epilogue of the original story so I won´t) made it into the manga adaptation. It stopped fully adapting from the source material after it got done with LN 2 but Wolf and Amber Melancholy is the very last part of the LNs to not be abridged in any way even as a manga and it too places this story in its chronological place. I would LOVE to know why this became the equivalent of Red Dragon for Spice and Wolf. If this IP gets a stage play then I guarantee you this story will make it in to compliment my comparison.
Guess what! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Wolf and Amber Melancholy! every single time.

Never adapted to any visual medium so far are: Chapter 1 (of 3) from LN 7, LN 10-13 and chapters 2-4 from Vol 17. Spring Log (on Vol 7) and New Theory (on Vol 10) are of course also ongoing. Up that pie in the sky wish to an episode order of 200+.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'd propose the appropriate temperaments for Holo the Wolf/Human Hybrid that we observe are
1. Angry-not nearly enough wine/apples/(attention from)Lawrence
2. Sassy- good balance of Lawrence and wine
3. Sad- not enough Lawrence or apples, too much Nora
4. Happy-enough Lawrence/apples

Haha, love this. There's got to be something about the medicinal effectiveness on Wolf/Human/God hybrids of:

* Inducing Lawrence to awkwardly say something passably romantic
* Lawrence actually saying something passably romantic off his own initiative.
* Flirting oneself and causing wordless awkwardness in Lawrence.

Best taken with food (preferably apples, or honeyed peaches) and drink (wine).

Do not mix these actions with shepherdesses else liable to cause bitterness and bile reflux.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7