• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

In other words, people are [expletive] PISSED and doing an excellent job at pointing fingers. Crunchyroll is an anime distributor, not a content creator and they still have to pick up a lot of slack.

They had ONE JOB, and a easy one to boot Laughing
How they managed to eff up their core base and their original mission is just beyond me Laughing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't mind Crunchyroll showing inclusivity via advertising via random events and big name fans, large American companies do this all the time. The name changes in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are perfectly fine and more people should realize the consequences of using names without permission.
NGK wrote:
They had ONE JOB, and a easy one to boot Laughing
How they managed to eff up their core base and their original mission is just beyond me Laughing
I understand wanting to create your own show but regardless of your position, do not go against the mission of the platform you work for. Crunchyroll was made for the distribution of Asian media and while it is a very niche market, it's a simple one to please and creates a profit. The creators could have at least gone to Amazon, Netflix, or YouTube for their show. Worst of all, the they have a lot of controversy behind them.

In all honesty though, I hope this turns out good just to piss off the hardcore crowd.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Digibro uploaded an excellent video on the subject.

In other words, people are [expletive] PISSED and doing an excellent job at pointing fingers. Crunchyroll is an anime distributor, not a content creator and they still have to pick up a lot of slack.

I think the main takeaway from that video, and this whole thing in general, is that by using Crunchyroll, you're mainly supporting Crunchyroll. If you want to support the actual industry, there's better ways to do so.

I would advise this guy to be careful though. Apparently Crunchyroll is issuing DMCAs to everyone making videos on this project and trying to play damage control.

-Stuart Smith
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Of course AT&T is. Because this is what everyone feared, they would gut the service and turn it into another Cartoon Network, and no one wants that.

You know what really gets me? Besides this being the absolute worst example of Bean Mouth style, they said there were going to be more shows, and THIS is what they lead off with. Even if their other concepts are a lot better and not as Tumblr-riffic, the damage has already been done. It’d be like if Netflix made all those deals for co-productions and their first shows out the gate were Neo Yokio and Big Mouth.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
For something that's anime inspired, this looks no different from the Steven Universe/Gumball bean mouth west coast style, which is an insult to anime. Does American animation have one foot in the grave or is it already 6 feet under? Because when Adventure Time came out back in 2010, everyone was claiming how American animation was entering this new era/age and now I can't tell half these shows apart and the decade isn't even over.

In regards to "THAT aesthetic" the animation trends have shown they have a shelf life a little under a decade until someone "figures it out" and brings an economically competitive animation style that usurps the previous generation, and eventually it too becomes tired out. So if trends go the way they go, it will be gone in the Western sphere by 2020.
Bruce91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
@ 0:59 A lot of people forgot to do artistic 2d animation?! Did he really said that on a anime streaming website video? The guy must be kidding.

Why are they bragging about female only doing creative roles and giving them a voice?
Is she saying that females never get those roles? because that is complete BS.

Oh and talking about diversity when 100% of the writers are female. is not diverse.
The video was like 20% about the show and the rest about why they made it.

Don't know if this show is going to be any good. But Imho, the show reminds something from cartoon network. Which is a hit and miss for me.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The thing that I find interesting is that unless they're counting Raye Rodriguez as a woman (and as he's a trans man I would hope not), and with Amalia Levari is serving as story editor, the fact that the writing staff is 100% women means that Raye isn't doing any writing or editing on his own show. It's quite unusual to see this circumstance arise.

He's not even credited as a producer, just the creator of the concept.

It gives me the uncomfortable impression that Raye is a figurehead while Amalia Levari and Kate Leth are actually the ones in control of the show.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7