• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the bench itself was freight? Even if the primary cargo of the front part was robots, it stands to reason it was used for other things as well(even if just for whatever the robots needed at their destination).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
That animal thing-a-mebob was adorable. I assume it doesn't need food to live tho, probably just water, since it was living next to giant water hole.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
I propose the thing be called a "myoop" referring to the Anime News Nina character it bears a resemblance to. Thinking of what it could be, my guess is an eavesdropping device since it repeats conversation it hears via radio. Might it have been the source of the "sunset music", essentially repeatedly broadcasting a song it heard once?

About the train, the first car the girls were in had windows and a bench but nothing else and it wasn't until they had motored toward the front that they found abandoned robots. I think Gina S.'s conjecture is right but in addition the train is an "all purpose" transport for troops, vehicles and robots.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I get what they were going for with the nuke, but considering they just used a giant laser that did just as much damage than a nuke, the impact was pretty weak...
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
..Girls Last Tour has pointed out that it was an near endless cycle of wars which ended their world.

"cut" is just ...piss-poor subs,rushed perhaps.
The girls call Nuko a neko,Nuko calls itself nuko...hear it in the anime and one can read this with the manga,

Edit; Does 'nuko' equal 'neko'? which means 'cats'. It's kind of Japanese word play,I think,
In which the letter ね is changed to ぬ.

Pillsbury dough weasel works,but the name is Nuko Smile

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I get what they were going for with the nuke, but considering they just used a giant laser that did just as much damage than a nuke, the impact was pretty weak...

That was nowhere near as much damage as a nuke. If that robot's laser did nuke-level damage, it would have destroyed the robot itself at that distance.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
meiam wrote:

That was nowhere near as much damage as a nuke. If that robot's laser did nuke-level damage, it would have destroyed the robot itself at that distance.

The mini-Death Star laser did as much damage as a nuke,if not more.
(not going to quantify <insert> the power of a pretend thermonuclear device).

And why do you think that pretend semi-autonomous robot was not shielded from any potential backblast,EMP or fallout?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
..Girls Last Tour has pointed out that it was an near endless cycle of wars which ended their world.

"cut" is just ...piss-poor subs,rushed perhaps.
The girls call Nuko a neko,Nuko calls itself nuko...hear it in the anime and one can read this with the manga,

Edit; Does 'nuko' equal 'neko'? which means 'cats'. It's kind of Japanese word play,I think,
In which the letter ね is changed to ぬ.

I think the point is that nuko is a mispronounced neko, so cut is a mispronounced cat. (they don't actually know what a cat is, so they're just guessing) Unfortunately, cut is also a word, and names are generally not translated, so it reads pretty silly.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
JacobC wrote:
meiam wrote:

The mini-Death Star laser did as much damage as a nuke,if not more.
(not going to quantify <insert> the power of a pretend thermonuclear device).

And why do you think that pretend semi-autonomous robot was not shielded from any potential backblast,EMP or fallout?

That's a fair point. Maybe the robot was the only thing keeping them safe. I was just thinking in terms of destruction and proximity, it didn't look like atomic holocaust bad, it looked like line of firebombing with a bonus mile-wide shockwave bad. But it's hard to quantify these things in animated form.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

I think the point is that nuko is a mispronounced neko, so cut is a mispronounced cat. (they don't actually know what a cat is, so they're just guessing) Unfortunately, cut is also a word, and names are generally not translated, so it reads pretty silly.[/quote]

mangaspoiler[ Nuko seems more apt in English,am considering episode 12 will adapt chapters 27&28,and what occurs to the ICBMs.]
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll toss my hat in to the ring. The nuke would be WAY more dangerous than the laser. Unlike a laser, nukes have fallout, nukes can very easily destroy a much larger area than just the blast zone, and the long term affects of the fallout will do far more damage reaching a far greater area than that laser is going to do.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
At optimal height, a 20 kiloton bomb would "only" destroy ~2 kilometers(though it'd still severely damage farther out). However, that laser was "detonating" point blank, so the blast radius would be much lower for the same yield. The thermal blast would be the most dangerous factor at their distance, which the robot would logically be shielded against.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
So the dough-weasel is basically an R2 unit?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So the dough-weasel is basically an R2 unit?

Nuko is more akin to an- manga/anime- spoiler[ evolving,and highly intelligent,bio-engineered lifeform. Designed to recycle all sorts of waste and other things.] or a dough-weasel 'R2' recycling bin.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
..Girls Last Tour has pointed out that it was an near endless cycI think the point is that nuko is a mispronounced neko, so cut is a mispronounced cat. (they don't actually know what a cat is, so they're just guessing) Unfortunately, cut is also a word, and names are generally not translated, so it reads pretty silly.

Nuko is used as kitten/kitty or as Eric Cartman would say "kitteh", if am not mistaken.

Using "cut" is just a poor choice overall.

Chito is aware of what a cat is,from her reading and Yuu grasps the general concept.
The use of nuko plays off the girls naive/childish side translated as kitty far better than the odd choice of cut.

English speaking/reading audiences see a cat-like creature (or a dough-weasel) on screen,again a translation of kitty would be far more apt and be correct.

English speaking/reading audiences can use nuko as a play on nuke/nukes..considering the SSBN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10