• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Online authentication would require 4K players to connect to online based authentication servers every time a video is played.

That being said, I have read that the first UHD aka 4k blu rays discs do not require online authentication, which IMO is no different from the lure fishermen use to make fish bite, one enough people have updated their blu-rays players they will no doubt start releasing them in force. I do not see anime with 4k being released any time soon, but that does not mean that will not release sub 4k anime in 4k media, atm few anime is true 1080p but they are still released in 1080p blu-ray discs.

That's a matter of authentication though, not authorization. Its intended purpose is to stop piracy, not to prevent you from watching something after a certain time has passed (unless what you're paying for is explicitly referred to as a rental). Considering it takes effort to stop something in this way but none at all to allow viewers to keep watching something, it's very unlikely they'll start using it to prevent people from watching older releases. Certainly, with video and computer games, where it got started, none of the services have done that yet: They'll let you play anything as long as it's legit, no matter how old the game is.

There are many issues I have with the DRM authentication system, and I hate it, and I also believe it does more harm than good as pirates can still find ways around it, but it's not going to take away your ability to play or watch anything you are already allowed to.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Kelly does it again. Laughing

But seriously, main reason I stopped gaming on PC was PC gaming means Steam now, which I hate and feels cheap. As a collector, I'm glad a market for physical products and collectors editions exist in Japan and the anime community. Can't really stand to think my anime collection being a streaming menu.

As if to prove a point, Daisuki is shutting down next month. So much for whatever anime they have since its about to go poof soon.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That's a matter of authentication though, not authorization. Its intended purpose is to stop piracy, not to prevent you from watching something after a certain time has passed (unless what you're paying for is explicitly referred to as a rental).

"If a technological feat is possible, man will do it. Almost as if it's wired into the core of our being. " Major Motoko Kusanagi from GitS

I remember not long ago there was some kind of legal dispute in amazon where they removed electronic books from customers libraries. They did reimbursed the money, but they did not asked permission. Fast forward into the future, what do you think would happen when a similar dispute breaks out between the different right holders of a movie? Just like with the 1922 Nosferatu movie a judge will order authentication servers to stop (effectively erasing any copies) sending authentication codes for said disc playback and that would be the end of it (for legal owners at least, pirates would be no doubt be unaffected by then).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Read that link, quite interesting. But since we are talking about this effecting everyone and not just gamers, I don't think Sony will go through with it. They can strong arm gamers, but can they really do that with everyone. They are trying to push 4K on us, so we will buy 4K TV's, 4K monitors, 4K capable laptops, and 4K BD players, do they really want to put "Warning! Must have active internet connection to watch this 4K BD in your home." It's not a really good selling point.

But who knows, Microsoft tried to push this through, even in the face of discriminating against overseas military personnel. So Sony just might try to bull rush this through. But hopefully all the other 4K vendors will slap them silly.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
It's not really that accurate to say Japan is either a conservative or liberal country, as with the U.S. and perceptions of it abroad. Akihabara or Kasumigaseki values don't reflect Japanese society, like Hollywood or Bible Belt values don't reflect American society. I suppose you can consider Japan conservative in the sense that censorship laws haven't been as relaxed like in other countries, because it's difficult to change laws, ironically imposed by American post-war occupation. It's the same situation over revising Article 9 in the face of North Korean threats.

The serious issue with child sex tourism in the 90s was over Filipinos and prostitution in as a whole. It's also the reason many hostess bars specifically cater to Filipino to avoid perception. Child sex tourism is still a big issue in South Korea, where a lot of shady business has Yakuza connections with its Korean involvement.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't think Sony will go through with it.

Sony has a long story of deep throating DRM down their customers wallets. Remember Extended Copy Protection (XCP) ? Super Audio CD? Sony's DRM Rootkit? You might argue that all of those were about audio or games, not video. Remember when you could connect your coaxial cable from your VCR to your TV and instantly you had video/audio. Now with HDMI you have to connect the cable, turn on the video source, wait for your screen to recognize it and then you can select it. You might think that is because high definition video is more complex and digital, that there is no way you could have the same functionality of old. Yes you can, is is called SDI (serial digital interface) which is digital, can transmit HD, the cable can be longer and is just a simple coaxial cable! The reason we have HDMI is so that Sony could implement HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) so that you could not connect your blu-ray player to a recorder to duplicate a movie. They went through with it and most people did not notice and only high level video equipment (the kind used in tv stations or movie studios) have SDi ports. The other reason we have blu-ray 4k is that HDCP has been broken, so they want everybody to get new TVs and blu-ray players with HDCP v2.2. But chances are 2.2 will be cracked and then they will ask customers to upgrade to 8k, isn't it wonderful?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I understand all that, but that is still a long way from telling customers that they can't watch their Blu-Rays without an active internet connection. People who don't have an active internet connection won't be able to watch 4K BD's. That is a lot of lost sales for 4K equipment and media.

Will the other 4K vendors put up with that. Why get a 4K TV or a 4K player, if you can't watch your 4K media.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
telling customers that they can't watch their Blu-Rays without an active internet connection.

Simple, they wont. The sad truth is that nowadays people connect their blu-ray players to the internet (I know I do) because they include apps for youtube, amazon prime, hulu, etc. Blu-ray players are online 24/7 and chances are that when they do not, it is because there is no electricity at all (like many victims of hurricane Harvey atm). So just like with HDMI, people will not realize Sony is shoving DRM down their throats, Sony will spin it as progress and anyone without an internet connection is a hillbilly that somehow got a hold of the latest technology. I wish in five years time you were right after all, but I have the bad habit of guessing correctly.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I understand all that, but that is still a long way from telling customers that they can't watch their Blu-Rays without an active internet connection. People who don't have an active internet connection won't be able to watch 4K BD's. That is a lot of lost sales for 4K equipment and media.

Will the other 4K vendors put up with that. Why get a 4K TV or a 4K player, if you can't watch your 4K media.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm totally fine with streaming media. That said, this is already a reality for software. Remember when you could just buy software and install it outright. Heck, for that matter remember when the licensing was a ONE TIME authentication? Even the licensing agreement for most major software (like adobe products) are EXPLICITLY sold as limited duration products that must be renewed on set schedules. (I think Windows Vista sped up this process for software since so many people stopped upgrading OS at that point) I have zero doubt that media companies would like to replicate that model. Heck, look at how Disney already tries to goose sales by artificially removing titles from the market at given intervals. That's a VERY short step to "rent it for now".
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I doubt if someone took the time to make a list it would come out with the exact same percentages between Japanese and English casts being reused. One side is going to do it more than the other. Just the notion the Japanese industry is way bigger would more than likely mean talent isn't anywhere nearly as used. Just looking at the dub cast for BHA shows the usual Funi cast used in most shounen, while the original cast isn't made up of Dragonball alumni.

That doesn't mean they don't use the same people often.
SonicSP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is a pretty good deal in the US [i](used it when I studied there)[/I{. In SEA where I live, the amount you pay and what you get is totally not worth it because there's a lot less shows available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7