• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
People have probably pointed this out before, but wasn't there a really popular YA series a few years ago with the exact same premise as Love and Lies? "Matched", or something?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This was the primary reason that Death Note remains as one of my top anime of all time. The writing made him into a sort of appealing bastard who they knew some of the audience would identify with, and yet they still had the balls at the end to make him face final judgment without playing any games. It was pretty much the most perfect ending I think I have seen in any show.
I actually prefer the manga's ending, because the anime arguably still tries to portray Light as a tragic figure in the end. The manga makes it extra clear that not only is Light a psychopath and a tyrant, but also a huge hypocrite; not to mention take out any and all dignity from his final moments. But then, I can see how some would consider his last words being spoiler["I don't want to die! I don't want to die! Oh, sh*t!"] to be a bit on the cheesy side Smile

Agent355 wrote:
Love and Lies--I haven't seen the episode yet, but I tried to read the manga and found the premise underdeveloped. It's not exactly unrealistic, though--you don't have to look very far to find cultures that arrange marriages, even today. In fact, it's pretty recent that *non-arranged* marriages weren't the norm in most cultures.
True, but there's a bit of a difference between marriages arranged by parents for the purposes of continuing the family line and/or social advancement and marriages centrally managed by the state for the explicit purposes of social engineering and eugenics. I don't think the latter has been the norm in any culture, at least not to the extent portrayed in the anime.

James Beckett wrote:
The problem for me is that this whole setup comes with a veritable mountain of unanswered questions, to the point where I found myself a little distracted. The main issue being that simply forcing people to get married to viable partners doesn't guarantee any kind of increase in birth rates, and there's certainly no reason to have these things set in stone when the parties involved are still minors. Furthermore, if there are already people that want to have children, wouldn't it make sense to let them be together, and reserve the mandatory marriage for people who wait too long? A more logical solution would be to have mandatory sperm/egg donation or something like that, or even to incentivize polyamorous/open relationships that would result in as many births as possible. The point here is that Love and Lies feels less like a well-thought out take on an alternate history and more like a poorly planned, contrived method of forcing teenage angst and drama.
I'd like to think* that this focus on the creation (and forced maintenance) of stable family units was consciously chosen precisely to pre-empt the emergence of issues arising from the single-minded focus on raising the birthrate to the exclusion of dealing with factors affecting children's and parents' lives after birth, as seen in places like Ceauşescu's Romania. But then, at this point it's hard to tell how much thought has been put into the worldbuilding and social commentary, so it's hard to rule out the "angst maximization" hypothesis. Very Happy

*Note that by "I like to think" I don't mean that I would endorse this sort of reasoning in favour of such policies. I just think that this sort of thinking could be very interesting to explore (and possibly deconstruct), not to mention give the world a bit more grounding in real life policy debates.

Anyway, I was really hesitant to check out Love and Lies after reading the reviews and the comments, not to mention seeing the premise and the art style. The only reasons why I chose to actually watch it were zrnzle500 bringing up the fact that HanaKana is in it and Jonny Mendes hinting at the manga addressing LGBT issues. While my concerns about the exploration of the premise haven't really been allayed, I found myself weirdly invested in the two leads' relationship, in spite of how ridiculous the whole eraser story was. I'm not expecting the show to become another Psycho-Pass or anything, but another Plastic Memories (a touching character relationship in an unfortunately underdeveloped speculative setting) wouldn't be too bad either. But then, I'm still getting my HanaKana fix via Tsuredure Children, so I can afford to drop L&L and keep an eye on the discussions.

A few words about other shows I've watched:
Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu - completely new to the franchise, and not at all sold on the premise, but the action was pretty good. Will give it a couple more chances.

Clean Freak! Aoyama kun - feels too much like an imitation of Sakamoto and/or Handa-kun, with the added bonus of being asked to laugh at a person's neurological condition(?). Though I actually liked the chibi segments, but mostly because the character animation wasn't as jarring as during the normal segments Smile Might stick around for the football.

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life - the comedy is hit and miss, but the characters look interesting.

Restaurant to Another World - took some time to convince me, but seems like the surest pick so far. A fantasy world slice of life show with lots of character interactions and relatively little world building is an interesting approach.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Clover_Zero wrote:

Youkai Apato is my most anticipated anime of this season. I read the manga (though it's based on light novel) and it's great. The start might seem ordinary, but it goes philosophical and introspective (in relaxing atmosphere, though there's a bit of action sometimes) as it goes on. I'm not kidding. There's a reason why a light novel, adapted to a manga, finally gets anime adaptation, after all.
If anyone wants spoilers about it, I'll tell you.
By the way, the opening sequence shows that it seems it'll adapt quite a lot. I hope it won't be rushed.

Actually, I'd love to hear more about Youkai Apato's plot direction and even some spoilers. The first episode gave me such a mild impression and no clues towards the show's direction. It wasn't as charming as The Morose Mononokean. The only part that stood out to me was the revelation at the very end that Akine was a confident and competent exorcist, since it was framed as a reversal of a damsel-in-distress trope (Yushi was stealing himself to save her, but she can take care of herself).

meiam wrote:

Yoke apartement was very basic, nothing about it really stand out. I'm guessing it'll be eventually revealed that the MC also died with his parent and is a ghost or something like that. Otherwise there's just nothing that interesting about it. The main character being scared at the ghost got boring the second time, I don't think I could do 12 more episode of that.

I didn't think of that, but it's an interesting idea that will set it apart from other yokai SoL shows.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This was the primary reason that Death Note remains as one of my top anime of all time. The writing made him into a sort of appealing bastard who they knew some of the audience would identify with, and yet they still had the balls at the end to make him face final judgment without playing any games. It was pretty much the most perfect ending I think I have seen in any show.
I actually prefer the manga's ending, because the anime arguably still tries to portray Light as a tragic figure in the end. The manga makes it extra clear that not only is Light a psychopath and a tyrant, but also a huge hypocrite; not to mention take out any and all dignity from his final moments. But then, I can see how some would consider his last words being spoiler["I don't want to die! I don't want to die! Oh, sh*t!"] to be a bit on the cheesy side Smile

I have only seen Death Note the anime and it was already very clear to me that Light is a psychopath and a tyrant, huge hypocrite, etc. The anime was constantly undercutting him in sometimes amusing ways. I realize that a lot of teenyboppers fell victim to his supposed smooth charm and wish fulfillment-ness, but I was never in doubt as to how the anime intended him to be perceived.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
People have probably pointed this out before, but wasn't there a really popular YA series a few years ago with the exact same premise as Love and Lies? "Matched", or something?

Yes indeed! The first novel's premise is actually very close to the plot point with the email in this episode.
Davonepresley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Calico wrote:

Yes indeed! The first novel's premise is actually very close to the plot point with the email in this episode.

And I also imagine that, like Matched, Love and Lies will completely squander its world and premise on solely focusing on crap love triangle with the emotional depth of a puddle. But that's just my initial impression.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

Hah! I was thinking the same thing watching Love and Lies, it's the same right down to the main character first getting a glitchy match to someone else before getting an official match.

Anyways Love and Lies did nothing for me. I can buy any whacko concept if the characters are good, and the characters in L&L are just dull. You have our hero, Boring McDullFace, whose in love with Ms. Unmemorable-Whatserboobs, who likes him back for... reasons not explained, and their entire relationship is built on sharing an eraser once when they were ten? Yeah no. Maybe if they'd shown to be good friends growing up or shown to have ANY chemistry whatsoever, I'd be in. But they don't.

Not much else yet grabbing me. Oh well, at least there's a few good two-cour shows from spring to tide me over if this summer keeps flopping.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ai yai yai, who let Aho Girl out of the manga box? From the first notes of the psychotically genki OP theme, I was cringing back from the screen and it just went downhill from there. Not one single joke landed. Even as a short, it's too long. Two minutes would be too long. Nope, nope, nope.

Nana Maru San Batsu was like a breath of fresh air after that, so I might be overrating its appeal, but I think I'm going to get along fine with it, panty tropes and mundane animation notwithstanding. For some reason I was delighted by the Q & A format of the opening credits, so that also put me in a receptive mood.

Tsuredure (Tsurezure, Tsuredzure) Children I'm not sure what to make of, nor how to spell it. I think I kinda liked it? I think I kinda hated it? I think I don't know what they think they're trying to do. I think I need to see more episodes to know what I think. I think I'm glad it's only 12 min.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
That's pretty much one of the definitions of a psychopath:
Someone who lacks empathy, but is able to manipulate social relationships to their own advantage. That's not the kind of protagonist I can root for.

I won't dispute characterizing Tanya as a psychopath. However, she doesn't have a God complex like Light does, which is a big part of why I find her far more likable than Light. She's just roll her eyes at Light's antics and rag on all of his needless effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Knights and Magic - I've been waiting to watch this since reading the Manga.
Wow! One episode rushed through entire published chapters so far of the manga!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Tanya is not a psychopath. She has shown empathy for some of her underlings. She takes no pleasure in killing or even harming other people. If she was transferred to some cosy little non-dangerous post far behind enemy lines, she'd be happier than a pig in poo. You can dislike her as a character but let's please dispense with the facile arm chair psych 101 diagnosis.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The opening for Aho-girl was genius. It looked like they were going to do a proper OP and then Yoshiko just stands there engrossed with the banana. The show itself was a bit awkward though, Yoshiko is portrayed as being so stupid that it made some of the gags/the plot feel kind of cruel.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Not much has really grabbed me early on here. However, this coming weekend has most of the premiere's I was looking forward to so there's hope for this season yet. Some thoughts on what I have seen so far:

Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu - Really fun and good looking first episode, but I could also see myself getting bored pretty fast. The story is interesting enough but none of the characters really clicked for me. I'll see where the second episode goes.

Clean Freak! Aoyama kun - As others have mentioned, this one reminded me of Sakamoto-kun and that's very ok with me. Would be interesting if they ended up taking a serious look at OCD, but I don't anticipate it. Either way, I'll probably give it another episode or two.

Love and Lies - I wanted to like this one, but I'm having trouble buying into the whole relationship being based on sharing an eraser 5 years ago followed by zero interaction until present day. Beyond that, there were a few other oddities that took me out of the show (the government agents who just happened to find him at exactly midnight to deliver his notice? Uh huh...sure) I'll give this one another episode as well and see how it follows up before deciding whether or not to drop it.

Fastest Finger First - Not bad, but not great either and ultimately pretty forgettable. Won't be following up with this one.

Tsuredure Children - This was a pretty cute and light-hearted show and it being a short definitely helps. I like that they didn't spend too much time on any of the couples and each of the couples had their own kind of charm. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one.

I also started but ultimately did not finish Restaurant to Another World (Food shows are not my thing at all) and Aho Girl (did not crack a smile in the first few minutes and determined it just was not going to work for me).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
703X: I didn't have high expectations going in, but if the point was to interest the viewer in quiz competitions, they certainly succeeded for me. I would like to see more of the strategy and minutia of quiz competitions. That being said, I think this will be a show that I am more interested in the subject matter rather than the characters, the story or visual execution, as with Kabukibu. While I was watching it I couldn't help thinking the female lead was voiced by an idol, as their voice acting was a bit...pedestrian, and what do you know, she's an idol.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Aho girl has the best OP of the season hands down. I read the manga and though it was decent but got old pretty quick. This first episode was better than the manga and the shorter run time might mean it'll stop before things get too old, so that could be really nice. It probably really not fro everyone, but I really like fast pace comedy so it's doing nicely for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 35