• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the character designs really don't bother me. There are some interesting observations that their school uniform has a small shirt and very long skirt, while the transformed version has kind of the opposite where the skirt is really short but they much have shirt thing that covers them like a swimsuit.

It feels kind of...... retro maybe? And I kind of like it. What their ages are to how they look kind of feel irrelevant, wasn't the point was to show that girls can look after themselves, which is why they look reminiscent of older heroes from other series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

It's not a good anime compare to today's show. The art is not very good either.

Pretty sure that's about YOUR taste. Rolling Eyes The art is just fine. You don't like its style, okay, that does not make it bad.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
willag wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm a bit tired of younger protagonists that Usagi and Ami looking like they're 20 when they're actualy 14 doesn't bother me. I can fool myself into thinking they're older than their real ages. I really like the character designs.

So, you're saying that you think Ami's really an idiot pretending to be smart, since she flunked 7th grade so many times? ^u^

Either Ami is really smart or she's got the best dumb luck in the world to get a perfect 300 score.

Nah, more like I can pretend they're in college or they're 18-year-old high schoolers in their last year.

Though I'm all for pretending we've got a Flowers for Algernon case (without the regression) in Ami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Although yes, the OP song could cut down a bit on the "We're free, liberated girls who don't need anyone to rescue us!" rhetoric--Which differs a bit from the whole "Dreams of romance" motifs that's supposed to move the Moon-Mask relationship along.

.....Eric, you and I have strongly disagreed on things in the past, but if you dare imply that "girls cannot rescue themselves if they dream of romance too", you and I are gonna have serious problems, pal.

Quote:
Sheesh, what is this, Frozen? Razz

Anna saved herself AND kept her boyfriend. Thin ice, sir. Thin ice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I thought the episode was good. The fight felt a bit fast though but I am glad to see spoiler[Sailor Mars make her debut. Rei is pretty indeed so I don't blame Usagi for staring at her Laughing ]

We'll probably see some of the other members of spoiler[Dark Kingdom in action soon as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
so... Zoisite is a man. Was anyone else completely oblivious to this fact because they only ever watch the anime on TV when they were kids? lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I have a confession to make, one way I do know a bit about Sailor Moon was not through just an English dub, but the satirical abridged series. Those of you who might be familiar with that might understand a bit of surprise at Rei's character, apparently she is not a spoiler[Satan worshiper]. What next, that other Sailor Scout is not spoiler[actually a guy in drag?] Yeah some of my previous ideas on the series are far beyond altered dub.

Wow, Usagi had spoiler[heart shaped pupils while looking at Rei, and heart thumping from seeing the guy, she must have one hell of a complex with meeting people on busses]. To tell the truth, it has not been much special, but more than that it has not been painful as other shows and I can see myself continuing to watch this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
I don't recall hearing such, but this show airs every other week? Why?
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Toei being lazy/cheap probably

Or maybe they need the extra week to make it a worldwide simulcast
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Even with that extra week the series is still cheap as shit with just some godawful mistakes and weird posing. And I can absolutely hold this to a higher scrutiny than most other other anime which manage to look great with far less time between episodes.* What an embarrassment for all involved. If this wasn't Sailor Moon, it'd have already been laughed off the planet, but I think it just kind of hurts instead.

*I know the bulk work tends to all be done weeks or months in advance of an episode airing, but still, that's two weeks between episodes to go through and fix stupid mistakes and bad art.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was not too bad, and I like this version of Rei. Something about her character design lends a little more sense of mystery to the character than did the original. I never realized before now that the crows she can sort of communicate with were named Phobos and Deimos, though. That completely escaped me when I watched the original series.

I don't know how I feel about the show playing the yuri card, though. Sure, Rei is a beautiful girl, but I'm not sure about Usagi swooning over her like that. I wonder how she'll react when Sailor V arrives on the scene, which shouldn't be too long from now at this pace.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Let's see, Venus was introduced in... chapter 8? 9? So we're still a couple months out from that.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
I checked my manga and Minako should be appearing spoiler[at the end of episode 7], assuming the show sticks with one chapter = one episode.

She's actually the one who I'm the most interested to see, since I think her character suffered the most in the original anime, since they really dumbed her down.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This episode leaves me a bit confused on what the anime is doing now. In the manga spoiler[Rei kills Jadeite, but here it looked like he teleported away.] I'm unsure what direction they're heading with this adaption.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
.....Eric, you and I have strongly disagreed on things in the past, but if you dare imply that "girls cannot rescue themselves if they dream of romance too", you and I are gonna have serious problems, pal.

No, just saying, remember when that second-place winner on the Moon contest sort of overdosed on the "Girl power! Who needs guys?" rhetoric, and we all went "Heheh, awkward.... Anime smile + sweatdrop " and backed away slowly?

The Crystal theme didn't exactly help.

victor viper wrote:
I don't know how I feel about the show playing the yuri card, though. Sure, Rei is a beautiful girl, but I'm not sure about Usagi swooning over her like that. I wonder how she'll react when Sailor V arrives on the scene, which shouldn't be too long from now at this pace.

Usagi wasn't "swooning"; Rei is attractive, and most girls think "Oo, shrine maiden outfits are cool!"
Mars is supposed to have a temper (planet of war, after all) and be Moon's fighting half, but looks like she'll stay "mysterious" and won't become the frustrated Daffy-Duck foil that she was in the R series.

Also, they seem to be following the manga and just introducing the characters, without the MOTW filler (we'd be up to Ep. 10 in the old series)--Sort makes me wonder where they'll go to from here after the V episode, and whether it'll just be another 23-episode series.
Maybe I'm just used to thinking of the old show as running for years, and this was designed to be a one season arc as an anniversary manga tribute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 18