• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lol I make like 2 fairly small comments and its suddenly my thread? For the record I am not trying to justify anything as I feel no moral qualnms whatsoever at the prospect of piracy nor do I in any way think myself superior to anyone because I choose to aquire things differently.

Your inevitable slavery comments make me lol tho. Not so much since its a ridiculous comparison but because I always imagine myself in a puffy shirt, eyepatch and shoulder parrot whipping a Japanese animator aboard a ship whilst shouting "What's your name!?" "Watanabe-san!" he replies, *whip* "I say its Toby!" *whip, whip, whip*

If thats not damn cool I don't know what is! (Disclaimer, before anyone gets on a rant about me triavilizing something historycal blah blah blah please notice that Keonin opened that one up with his colorful analogy.)

I don't think it's unfair nor do I think it's trivializing it, matter of fact I think if anything it more accurately demonstrates the mindset. You're essentially demanding other peoples hard work be handed to you for free with no form of payment for their work. That's pretty much slavery, the only difference is they're not required to do it, but if they want to do what they love then they have to accept that they have no rights in order to allow you the rights you seem to think you deserve. So in every sense it seems like elitism and superiority.

Quote:
You misunderstand, the idea (not mine) is that content would make money not through its sale to consumers but by providing a sort of virtual add space. Think of that can of coke seen in your favorite movie but on a grander scale. Again this is just one idea and I would be interested to know what some of you think about and its feasibility.

Great, so then we'd have to give up the full immersion and enjoyability of an artform because a group of elitist pricks decided they had the right to steal from others and that if they wanted their rights then their rights would have to be protected in a manner that conformed to their theft. It would taint the artform, not to mention the oversaturation of advertizing mediums would cut gains and anime is too much of a niche market to survive off advertizements alone. The saturation would drive the price down and the fact it's relatively obscure would drive it down further, in the process only ensuring the poor get poorer and anime would sink further into obscurity as funds dried up.

Quote:
I think setting limits on copyright timewise (say 5 years of exclusivity to make a profit) and allow legal secondary means of distribuition by third parties when they are not for profit and remain on a limited scale.

Who cares if it's not for profit because it denies the creators and artists their profits. It still fails to repay the creators for what they spent and it's still essentially the honorable consumers that pay for what the vultures take. Once again it tramples the rights of everyone else just to give a thief their supposed right to steal. Not to mention limiting the scale wouldn't work because it's not working now, there's no reason it would work then and by legitimizing it to any degree you simply increase the availibility and usage.

Quote:
I wouldn't quite say the drive it, but yes from my own experience they have always seemed like a beneficial part of the industry. Yes there are no hard numbers on either side so its their word against our and I am personally inclined to believe a fan over a corporation, but again, nothing is conclusive here.

Why should I believe a fan over a corporation? Especially when the corporation supports the artist and it's corporations of all sizes from small studio houses to large businesses that are against it. A fan on the other hand has demonstrated they will take what they want and openly admit they have little to no consideration for the artists themselves, so why should I believe them? It seems they'll believe anything as long as it justifies their right to trample rights of others. I simply don't believe anyone who'd piss on peoples rights for simple greed. Not to mention the fan doesn't have the numbers, the corporations do. Sure, you could say the fans have nothing to gain. But that isn't true either because they have free anime to gain, and the loss of that to any degree is significant. It's all conjecture, but honestly only one side has the hard facts and works for the artists, while the other seems to just work for themselves which is no more honorable than they claim the corporations to be, possibly less so because they don't even consider the artists on their side.

Really is biting the hand that feeds here. They create it, they spend the money on it and they are praised for what they create until they actually ask for payment for it. Then the same people say "screw you" to the same people they claimed to respect and the talent that create the entertainment they love so much just because they apparently don't believe those people have the right to earn for doing their job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vroenis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Forgive me, but I simply want to add perspectives outisde of this thread exclusively. This one would be from John at Anime Nation. I'm not attempting to use his comments as any kind of argument pro or con, simply adding perspective. I found this partiuclar article rather insightful.

Last edited by vroenis on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'll take the 5 minutes to prove every single one of your points wrong and show you just how ignorant your post is.

nagashi wrote:
I for one will be downloading the fansub, without guilt. I will never buy more of their dubtitled, close captions for subs, non-backup-able, drm'ed crap.

Gits:SAC was not dubtitled or closed captioned. Gits 2 was, go blame Dreamworks. And anime dvds are NOT drm'd. Try again. Non-backup-able? Can you back up any of your DVDs? (The answer to that is "I can but I am too lazy to bother.")

Quote:

If they provide it at a very low cost in an open format (divx/xvid or some such format) that I can easily move around between computers, they stand a chance at making $1 (and probaby not more than $1) off me.

DVD moves easily between computers. XVID is illegal to use. Divx is not open. IF they DID produce a video like that (Japan would never let them), it would have more DRM on it than the DVD. Also, $1 for a movie? And you expect them to make a profit? Whatever you do for a job, could you make a profit if your work was available for $1 on the market?

Quote:
Down with Copyright!
Down with Licensors!
Down with voice 'talent'!
Down with Localization!

Making my life easy here? No licensors = No anime.
nagashi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I simply don't believe anyone who'd piss on peoples rights for simple greed

Sounds like a great reason not to believe an anime company or licensor. I mean, they're not selling you the discs at a markup for YOUR good, are they? No. That's called simple greed.

Not that fansubbers/those that download them are free from greed either; but to deny that a corporation works out of greed and then point fingers at fans is laughable at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
Always good to know that the fine fine editors of this site reduce themselves to name calling. Go you!

But you are. You are clearly of reduced mental function. Why should I have to stop short of saying the truth simply because I work here? I shouldn't. You're allowed to come into my forums and say whatever garbage you like, which means I'm allowed to call you on it in whatever manner I choose.

I say "you're an idiot" not entirely as an insult, but because I sincerely believe it to be true. You are apparently too stupid to understand that entertainment costs money to make and that revenue is generated by people who pay for it. You either haven't thought about this, don't know what capitalism is, or don't understand what "business" is. I assume you're smart enough to operate a computer; that you apparently don't understand that money is traded for goods and services means you are - under the dictionary definition of the word - stupid.

I'd say that I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

You, sir, are an idiot.
nagashi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And anime dvds are NOT drm'd

Yes they are. It's called CSS. That we can get around it thanks to Johansen is irrelevant to the question of whether or not they're drm'ed. You try again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
Quote:
And anime dvds are NOT drm'd

Yes they are. It's called CSS. That we can get around it thanks to Johansen is irrelevant to the question of whether or not they're drm'ed. You try again.
No, try again. Go check if an anime DVD has CSS on it. They realized it was entirely futile and have not used it. The answer is 90% of them do not. The % would be higher but a certain company used to/continues to use it despite how usleless it is.
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
and yet they are the first to completely spit in the face of anyone who dare tell them that maybe they should actually pay the entertainers who entertain them, especially the artists themselves. It's sad, and juvenile, and a ludicrous, delusional self-serving fantasy.

Yet another good point, Zac. I believe from what I've seen that 99% of the thread posts have been made by those who d/l anime somewhere, somehow. And now we are completely immersed in a time of piracy. It is painfully obvious that d/l is done simply to get it free, and not to help urge companies to license it faster or at all. I personally don't think it has ever been that goal from day one, if we would all look in our own greedy little souls.

This point is true-anime is a form of entertainment. Those who embark in this form of a career are seemingly on the thinnest ice pertaining to income. Add what fansubbers do and it cripples their income more. There is NO CHANCE of a downloaded show in the HERE AND NOW that will somehow spring this entertainer's income in the future. He/she has no future due to the fact that their first endeavor has generated no profit. If you were to start your career, work for a year, and then were told you won't get paid, you would be completely idiotic to keep working in that field. Entertainers won't keep doing what they are doing just for its artistic merit. Soon, even the largest established companies are doomed to fall, such as the companies who distribute this media, like a Musicland. It's nice to think that fansubbing and downloading anime is a nice way to see it fast, but in the end, the cash flow stops, and reality sets in.

By the way...Zac was just using name calling as the usual intenet way of saying hello. That's what forums are for in the end. infinite ways of bashing and proving that your point isn't right, it's just another one.

One last thing. I'm glad to see that many people who pirate stuff at least know who Bandai is. But then again, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, ne?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
People will still fansub it, regardless.

If they do, then at least take it out of circulation once it's brought Stateside. (Easiest for them to do that via BitTorrent, as I read in one of the editorials here.) After all, fansubs are a necessary evil, as they help make anime popular as well as accessible.

Die Wahrheit wird befreiet euch setzen.
Tschäu!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
m00nshine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
(The following is a dramatization and is not meant to be taken seriously)

Hi, we are Bandai, we have so much money that we can bully around these small websites who work hard to provide our show to its fans as quickly as possible for no financial gain of their own. These activities are going to cost us 5 to 10 % of our multi-million dollar profits and we must stop them. Let's face it, our CEO is a cranky man when he doesn't get to bathe in money.
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

If they do, then at least take it out of circulation once it's brought Stateside. (Easiest for them to do that via BitTorrent, as I read in one of the editorials here.) After all, fansubs are a necessary evil, as they help make anime popular as well as accessible.

Die Wahrheit wird befreiet euch setzen.
Tschäu!

This is kinda like the chicken or the egg, here. You're basically saying that fansubs have to be there for anime companies to see the anime. Sorry, but anime kinda came before free dowloading. But greed came built into humans first. SO, once there was this entertainment, we wanted it for free. Pretty simple.

Last edited by DuoSagara on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
nagashi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
nagashi wrote:
Always good to know that the fine fine editors of this site reduce themselves to name calling. Go you!

But you are. You are clearly of reduced mental function. Why should I have to stop short of saying the truth simply because I work here? I shouldn't. You're allowed to come into my forums and say whatever garbage you like, which means I'm allowed to call you on it in whatever manner I choose.

I say "you're an idiot" not entirely as an insult, but because I sincerely believe it to be true. You are apparently too stupid to understand that entertainment costs money to make and that revenue is generated by people who pay for it. You either haven't thought about this, don't know what capitalism is, or don't understand what "business" is. I assume you're smart enough to operate a computer; that you apparently don't understand that money is traded for goods and services means you are - under the dictionary definition of the word - stupid.

I'd say that I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

You, sir, are an idiot.

I, in return, will not choose to call you an idiot. I choose to view culture/media as something that humanity owns, rather than individuals or licensors. As such, I also feel that we can develop ways to pay for shows (example: PBS. BBC/CBC. Or NPR. Hell, there are a TON of examples really) that are sustainable. It's a different view.

Yes, I'm quite aware of how capitalism works, and how it doesn't work. And to let you know, it doesn't work at all in the distribution of non-scarce resources. And that's what culture is in the age of digital distribution.

I don't consider your view idiotic; just different and outdated. Mine simply doesn't believe in private ownership, nor in artificially imposing a scarcity economic system on something that is fundamentally non-scarce now.
ladholyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'll fansub this. Nah, actually, I won't. It's too much work. Never seen GiTS, no motivation.

But I'm pretty sure someone will. Kind of hard to stop anonymous people over the Internet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Like crime and war, and the human being's never stopping desire for greed, power and sex. People will never stop buying anime, and people will never stop downloading fansubs.
To nagashi: If were we to download evrey single piece of media that we could get our hands on, at some point we will not be able to download new materials. I see that you are a hardhead, and will stick to your views of this issue till the very end. In the case of that, I feel sorry for you, because even though you feel you are right, the fact of the matter is that a whole lot of other will see that you are wrong, am getting into a pointless argument with Zac, and only making yourself look bad. I am one of those people also that think you are wrong.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think it's unfair nor do I think it's trivializing it, matter of fact I think if anything it more accurately demonstrates the mindset. You're essentially demanding other peoples hard work be handed to you for free with no form of payment for their work. That's pretty much slavery, the only difference is they're not required to do it, but if they want to do what they love then they have to accept that they have no rights in order to allow you the rights you seem to think you deserve. So in every sense it seems like elitism and superiority.

They still make money. Untill I literally have my own personal animator slave camp that analogy fails. I simply do not believe that any artist NEEDS compensation for every single copy of a work, especially not in a world were such a copy can be so easily made by absolutely anyone.

Quote:
5 years? As someone who would like to end up writing full time eventually as a profession, that sounds awful. Not only would that mean that I wouldn't be able to build up a catalog of works that could still earn me money in later years, but I daresay book buying in general would drop dramatically if everyone knew that all you had to do was wait for 5 years and then you'd be able to download a free copy of whatever book you wanted.

Perhaps 5 years was a bit on the short side, but the point remains that artists hogging exclusive rights for pretty much forever (even after death in some cases) is ridiculous. Doesn't mean that after a few years the whole work becomes fair game but things such as exclusive rights to characters or film/spinoff rights would expire after a while.

I have very much the same aspirations as yourself actually, but I am still on the side of the freedom of information movement.

Quote:

one side has the hard facts and works for the artists, while the other seems to just work for themselves

Actually both work for themselves, corporations only pay the artist to make money off their creation, nothing more.

/soapbox

People can argue about it for however long thet want but the reality is that the anti-piracy side is fighting a loosing battle. The amount of online information grows each day and new methods of distribuition always seem to be just around the corner. Even if a government tried to seriously police the greater internet there will be subnets where anonimity is complete. The movement for total privacy is quite technically capable and unlike any single governemnt it can freely operate from anywhere. Its like gerrila warfare really, and we all know who has the advantage in that situation. Its not about like or dislike, but about how can businesses adapt and survive.

/soapbox
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 29